General Business Forum Brought to you by Square
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

How to connect with sole traders?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by geek84, Mar 6, 2018.

1. geek84

geek84 UKBF Regular Free Member

145 2
    Good Morning Folks

I am thinking of starting up a bookkeeping business and want to offer my services to sole traders (sometimes called one man businesses).

Could someone be kind enough to advice me how I can connect / get in touch with sole traders?

Thanks in advance

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: geek84 Member since: Jan 24, 2014
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,404 835
    The first step will be to understand what a sole trader actually is. I'll give you a clue, it's not necessarily a one man business.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. Socio South West

Socio South West UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

704 175
    Your area of operation is likely to be fairly close to where you live, thus an advertising campaign locally through local press and advertisers will be the best way forward for you.

Get a couple of clients under your belt, and hopefully word of mouth around the business community will take over.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: Socio South West Member since: Mar 24, 2013
  4. Toby Willows

Toby Willows UKBF Regular Free Member

760 164
    Why not Ltd’s, also sometimes known as one man bands. As @AllUpHere said you need to understand business terminology. There is only one type of business setup that can’t be a one man band, think about (or research) what that is and you’ll be making a start.

The last thing you need to be doing is approaching businesses offering bookkeeping services without knowing the very basics, you’ll get no work and look a right dullard as well!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
  5. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,364 372
    Are they sometimes called one-man businesses? The "sole" of sole trader refers to there being a sole person who is personally responsible for the financial responsibilities of the business. Many sole trader businesses have several employees. I once worked for one where there were 10 employees. In fact I would hazard a guess that most sole traders actually are not one-man or one-woman businesses.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  6. GTL

GTL UKBF Regular Free Member

125 20
    Why limit yourself to sole traders? How about cod traders, tuna traders and trout traders?

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: GTL Member since: Sep 18, 2017
  7. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,796 474
    The nature of sole traders is that they are effectively invisible as a genre, so not a great target market.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  8. Gecko001

2,364 372
    I do not see why sole traders are invisible. They are not registered with Companies House, but walk down any town or village street and they will be there in numbers. They run small shops, are solicitors, architects, surveyors and hair dressers. They are mechanics, market stall holders, graphic designers, engineering consultants, ebay sellers, small builders, landscapers, dog groomers and farmers etc.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  9. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,796 474
    So how do you know they are sole traders?

The OP might of course mean micro businesses, which will include many of those you have mentioned.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  10. Gecko001

2,364 372
    You can tell that they are not Ltd companies by checking with Companies House. They could be partnerships of course, but you could rule many of those out the name of the business (Bloggs and Bloggs for example). What are left are likely to be sole trader businesses.

Actually looking for sole traders is not a bad way of finding micro-businesses as many will be run by sole traders. It is difficult to find out the size of a business by just a name or even looking at a website.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  11. Jason Potter

Jason Potter UKBF Newcomer Full Member

6 1
    You could use targeted social media campaigns

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Jason Potter Member since: Mar 7, 2018