Home Office - Laser vs InkJet Printer?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Sheppard Digital, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Sheppard Digital

Sheppard Digital UKBF Regular Full Member

115 14
    I currently have a HP OfficeJet Pro 8710, and while it's been ok I'm starting to feel I need something more cost effective.

For a pack of genuine cartridges it is £100, and while I can buy compatible remanufactured cartridges, I find often they simple don't work. Take yesterday as an example, my wife wanted to print some material for work today but the printer said it was out of yellow, no problem, I have full set of compatible cartridges, insert the yellow and the printer refuses to use it. I ordered a genuine yellow which was delivered this morning, put it in and then the printer decides that the black is also empty. Again, no problem I had a spare black. Again, the black doesn't work either so I need to order a black for delivery tomorrow.

I've read articles comparing InkJet and Laser printers, and most agree that while laser printers cost more, their cost per page is less and that's where you make the saving providing you print enough. However, my research is finding that many InkJet printers are on par if not cheaper than most laser printers < £400. We print somewhere between 2500 - 3500 pages per year. Our current HP costs about 2p for mono prints and 8p for colour prints, and while looking on websites such as printerland, I see that not many laser printers can beat those per page costs.

So, are all of the articles I've read incorrect when they say that laser printers are cheaper in the long term? I'm struggling to see how.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 By: Sheppard Digital Member since: Mar 13, 2013
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,866 3,030
    Perhaps a laser would reduce the stuff you would have to buy?

Used to use an inkjet, got to spend an hour or two a day printing out. Switched to laser and could be done in 10 - 15 minutes.
    That was back when we'd have 4000 - 6000 a month. And we usually only printed black.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Sheppard Digital

115 14
    I've looked at the yield per toner and per ink cartridge and then used the cost to determine how much it costs per page. Our current inkjet black high yield cartridge can apparently print 2000 pages and costs about £30. Many black toners with similar yield are more expensive than that. Websites like printerland show you to the cost per print in both mono and black and white, and many inkets are on par with laser.

I must be missing something as what I'm looking at seems to suggest that the only benefit of having a laser printer is the text print quality and speed of printing.

4. thetiger2015

thetiger2015 UKBF Regular Free Member

363 102
    It depends on how much those two things cost to you.

I now use laser printers for everything. They're super quick, quieter, no chance of ink drying up if you don't use them for a week or two and the print quality is exceptional. Also, the laser printer costs have come down now. You can buy a mono printer for under £100 with the first toner included, a decent colour one for under £250.

I've always struggled to find an inkjet that will print as many pages as it says on the box. They always seem to run out of ink midway through something.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 By: thetiger2015 Member since: Aug 29, 2015
  5. ServWise

ServWise UKBF Ace Full Member

1,213 264
    It is not just about the cost per print, it is also the cost of waste since inkjets are notorious for failing with the print head and drying ink etc Lazer is just a much more reliable system. I switched to laser and wish I had done it a long time ago. And with the new LED-based laser printers, their prices have come down considerably. I recommend Brother printers. Steer clear or Epson and HP

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 By: ServWise Member since: Jan 22, 2008
  6. Sheppard Digital

115 14
  7. Mr D

24,866 3,030
    I had to buy a new printer during lockdown - last one had lasted 6 years.
    Had to go with what was available in stock online rather than what could be purchased in stores so got one at 120 for a mono laser printer.

Over the years had considerable trouble with inkjets - cartridges that lasted less than a day, as you say time period not used being poor for the ink, printer head going (not cheap) and having to keep sufficient supplies in to change to new cartridge.
    Laser I just keep one toner on hand and can be weeks before have to fit it.

8. Mr D

24,866 3,030
  9. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

8,134 2,254
    I am a huge fan of Kyocera printers. They have a much longer life than most other laser printers. If you look at the accessories for most laser makes you have to buy a new drum after about 3 replacement toners about (20,000 pages). With Kyocera this is not needed until at least 100,000 pages.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  10. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,573 391
    Its quite a big company and they have been making printers for a long time. I have no idea how good they are, but it might be worth looking for reviews of that model if its what you want.

Some people have recommended Epson Ecotank printers which are cheap to run colour inkjets.

I currently use a mono HP laser printer. Its lasted years, but I will prpbably replace it with a colour laser when the cartridge runs out.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  11. Sheppard Digital

115 14
    People have told me about the Epson Ecotank printers, but I've heard there can be problems with the waste tank issues? They do however look very cheap to maintain.