Going home sick

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Jacksonln, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacksonln

Jacksonln UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 2
    As a small business we only offer statutory sick pay. I'm aware that if an employee comes into work and later goes home sick this cannot count as a sick day. What isn't clear is what are the pay obligations. Do we have to pay for the full day, or do we just pay for the hours worked, what is reasonable?
    Thanks

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 By: Jacksonln Member since: Oct 13, 2016
  2. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,099 1,549
    What does it say in your employment contract?

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  3. Jacksonln

16 2
    Nothing about part days. The standard clause of days 1-3 inclusive are unpaid, day 4 is paid at SSP. But as law says part days do not count as a sick day this doesn't help me.

4. Jacksonln

16 2
    Sorry, meant to say thank you for your reply!

5. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,099 1,549
    No worries. Have you had a look at the ACAS website or called their hotline?

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  6. Jacksonln

16 2
    I have searched all over the web but cannot seem to find anything. Thank you for the advice.

7. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,771 3,337
    How is the employee normally paid? Are they paid a standard weekly or monthly wage, or are they paid by the hour?

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  8. Jacksonln

16 2
    Morning. They are annualized salary, paid monthly.

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 By: Jacksonln Member since: Oct 13, 2016
  9. Newchodge

12,771 3,337
    then I would suggest that you pay hem normally for the day they went home.

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  10. Jacksonln

16 2
    Thank you. That would have been my suggestion, but I am not convinced I will be able to convince Management of this. If we decided to pay half a day and then the afternoon is unpaid leave, is there anything legally wrong with this?

My other thoughts are - if the company always pays a full day regardless of time in the building are we a) encouraging presenteeism, b) giving staff an easy way of taking a days paid leave c) being unfair to those staff who live further away as more effort is required of them to show their face if they are unwell and d) related to the last point, encouraging staff to take unnecessary risk by encouraging them to try and make it into the office when they are ill. Just a thought. It just seems to me that sometimes a company trying to be fair to staff can sometimes be the opposite and have cause more potential problems.

11. Newchodge

12,771 3,337
    If there is nothing in the contract, other than saying that sick pay is limited to SSP, then you may be creating a problem for yourself. If you paid hourly, the it would be easy to say that you have paid for the hours worked. As you pay monthly salary it is harder to do this. What would happen, for example, if there were appalling weather and the member of staff was allowed to leave early to ensure a safe return home. Would you pay them then?

I think you are in danger of over-thinking the issue with the various problems you foresee. If a member of staff got into the habit of coming in and then immediately claiming to be unwell, it would be a management matter. A one-off, which this obviously is, as you don't know how to deal with it, is not yet an issue.

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  12. Jacksonln

16 2
    Thank you for your response Cyndy - much appreciated!

13. Krystsina

Krystsina UKBF Regular Free Member

219 119
    This is the exact reason why we come up with the new contracts for our employees: now they get paid by the hour instead of previously by month. It made our lives much easier: you worked X hours, you got paid for X hours.

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 By: Krystsina Member since: Jun 21, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.