GB EORI Issues EU Shipping

Discussion in 'International Business' started by NEF, Jan 7, 2021.

1. NEF

NEF UKBF Regular Free Member

183 9
    Hello

I have had a GB EORI number for a number of years now and used it when importing from China.

My issue now is when I want to ship goods to countries in the EU and use DPD they request my company EORI details... on entering these they show as not valid, and on an EU Eori checker they show as non valid also...

I checked on the UK HMRC website thinking there may have been an issue but my GB EORI details are correct..

What is required do I need a different EORI number ? If so were do I apply ?

Thanks

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: NEF Member since: Jan 14, 2008
  2. NEF

183 9
  3. apricot

apricot UKBF Regular Free Member

426 43
    You need to get a new Eori number starts with EU, specific to EU. I am not sure if you can apply yourself, you need to apply via a customs agency. Currently, Germany temporarily suspended Eori numbers but you should be able to get from other countries. If you have Spain VAT number, they provide Eori number by default.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: apricot Member since: Apr 7, 2012
  4. NEF

183 9
    So are there any links to apply for this ?

5. scstock

scstock UKBF Regular Free Member

138 27
    I'm drawing a blank on this currently too

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: scstock Member since: Mar 27, 2009
  6. scstock

138 27
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  7. JRatron

JRatron UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 9
    Yeah, just note the bit that says
    "If no customs declaration has been made before 1 February 2021, the Belgian Customs administration does not consider Belgium to be the first Member State where the operator intends to lodge a customs declaration or apply for a customs decision. The EORI-number will be hence be deleted ex officio to avoid any double entries of operators"

Basically, you should be registering with the first country into which you need to send goods.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  8. scstock

138 27
    Wow - I had an EORI number back from them 12 minutes after applying!

Yes, we will ship a consignment to Belgium first.

9. JRatron

96 9
    That's amazing!
    Are you vat registered anywhere in EU? I can't work out if the distance selling thresholds have gone, so you effectively need to register for vat straight away?

10. scstock

138 27
    It appears we already had the EORI number from 2009 - I had no idea, was before my time.

We're not currently VAT Registered in the EU. I believe the thresholds are still in place but unless you register for VAT in your customer's country you are placing the responsibility of paying Import VAT on them. After July you only need register in one EU country but until then you would potentially have to register in all 27.

11. JRatron

96 9
  12. scstock

138 27
    Just booked a shipment on DPD and the EU EORI Number didn't work (not enough digits) - so used our UK one.

Took 30-40 minutes to complete all the details, as opposed to 1-2 minutes a couple of weeks ago.

13. JRatron

96 9
    Was that for sending a parcel using the DDP service where you pay all the duties?
    There's no set number of characters on the DPD EU EORI validation.
    Does it validate here? https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/eos/eori_validation.jsp

If it was for an outgoing DAP consignment where the customer pays the duties, then it's correct to put in your GB EORI, because that's what's needed to get out of the UK

14. scstock

138 27
    DAP was the only option - no option for DDP. There are no Duties under the Brexit deal though are there, only Import VAT?

15. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,755 1,282
    Hang on - I thought the EORI was for your business - I didn't know you needed one for every country - that's madness!

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  16. JRatron

96 9
    it was certainly presented as a 'no duties' and free trade deal, but specifically it's a 'no duties on products that originate from the UK or EU' deal and this is crucial.
    If you supply products that are manufactured or have materials primarily sourced from outside of the UK/EU you can expect that there will be duties to pay to ship them into EU now, even if you have already paid duties to get them into the UK.

John Lewis this afternoon just announced they're halting EU deliveries, quoting nothing to do with Brexit, but their timing is fairly coincidental... - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55576571

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  17. JRatron

96 9
    You don't, but if you are going to be responsible for taxes and duties of getting products into the EU, you need to have one from one of the countries that's still in the EU. As long as you have 1 EU one you're ok for the whole of Europe.

18. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,755 1,282
    Ah - I see, thanks. Most of my stuff doesn't attract duty, but just a few do at 4%

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  19. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,991 3,446
    Got told I needed an EU eori for NI and Eire stuff. Took a few minutes to get.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  20. JRatron

96 9
    Can I ask which country you got your EU EORI from and were you vat registered there already?