Feedback from M1 to M2 users

Discussion in 'Magento Support' started by Steve_g, Mar 17, 2019 at 7:10 AM.

1. Steve_g

Steve_g UKBF Regular Free Member

194 25
    Hi all,

We have been on M1 for about 3 years now and have a busy site.

We have had M2 in development for almost a year and due to launch in 2 weeks.

From my perspective M2 seems much better with function, we have kept the site the same, just a refreshed look and a few new features that i know will help boost conversion etc, most of the changes are happening here in the warehouse (new ERP system etc that will really modernise us)

What im struggling to find is what to expect from SEO on M2, most articles iv rear simply say its faster and SEO is better but i cant find any case study's or numbers.

Assuming the websites architecture is the same and everything SEO is done correctly (301 ect) what can i expect?

My agency is telling me to expect a drop for 1-3 weeks while Google indexes etc but i wanted to hear from real businesses that have made the jump, how was your long term organic growth (if any) should it parallel M1 or will M2 give a boost to organic?

Any help appreciated.

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 at 7:10 AM By: Steve_g Member since: Jun 19, 2012
  2. Raw Rob

Raw Rob UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,109 232
    Why don't you keep the URL structure exactly the same, that's the safest option.

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:20 AM By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  3. Steve_g

194 25
    We have for all cats and product pages, just a few changes we made to cms pages.

Any opinion on organic traffic when moving m1 to 2?

Thanks

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 at 10:23 AM By: Steve_g Member since: Jun 19, 2012
  4. Aleksander_Gramm

Aleksander_Gramm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 2
    Because M2 has another structure in any case. So M2 site will be a bit differ from M1 site.

The traffic will drop 20-40 % and than traffic will recovery over 2-6 weeks.
    I didn't notice the significant difference between M1 and M2 sites.

I wouldn't expect the boost organic traffic or sales. But it is my experience that based on data from three dozens sites from UK, USA, Israel, Germany and Netherlands.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 3:30 PM By: Aleksander_Gramm Member since: Dec 14, 2018
  5. Raw Rob

Raw Rob UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,109 232
    But you can keep all product urls and all cms page urls the same if you want to. Maybe there are minor differences (I don't know, I've not studied it deeply enough).

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 3:54 PM By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  6. Aleksander_Gramm

23 2
    But many elements on pages will replace and architectura of site will change. M2 is not the same as M1. That is why traffic drop usually. So Google need the time to 'calculate' changes. For example, if you migrate from http to https organic traffic won't drop.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 4:30 PM By: Aleksander_Gramm Member since: Dec 14, 2018
  7. Steve_g

194 25
    jeez thats more then i was expecting, i assumed a 5-10% drop.

Hopefully worth it in the end!

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 6:20 PM By: Steve_g Member since: Jun 19, 2012
  8. Aleksander_Gramm

23 2
    It depends on many factors as interlinking, using of elements like prev- and next-. But it would therefore be overly optimistic to assume 10 %. May be 20 % drop.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 7:28 PM By: Aleksander_Gramm Member since: Dec 14, 2018