Experience with bark.com?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Matt Temple, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Matt Temple

Matt Temple UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    Hi,

Does anybody have any experience buying leads from bark.com. I am a developer not a sales person but being new in business I am everything at the moment and don't want to waste money buying leads if I don't stand a chance in getting the work.

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 By: Matt Temple Member since: Apr 30, 2017
  2. bigbuzzbelfast

bigbuzzbelfast UKBF Regular Free Member

207 50
    Best leads are the ones you have brought to yourself, sometimes buying leads they can be outdated and do you get to see a signed email from the lead saying yes I'd love to hear from this that or the other type of business?

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 By: bigbuzzbelfast Member since: Mar 19, 2017
  3. Annoying Donkey

Annoying Donkey UKBF Ace Free Member

2,878 997
    In this thread you say

So surely you must know how to develop your own leads...?

I suspect Bark sends the quote requests out to multiple providers, charging each one a fee. IMHO you'd be far better off running your own advertisement...

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 By: Annoying Donkey Member since: Sep 13, 2009
  4. Matt Temple

15 0
    I am hitting all the major networking events in my city on a monthly basis and getting some good contacts from these.

I was looking for something that can get me some more national work without the need to make regular trips across the country to networking events.

5. Matt Temple

15 0
    From what I can see Bark give you nothing more than a phone number and a messaging system.

They say all leads are vetted by them but and send you a list of questions each lead has answered but these often don't provide enough detail to quote so I don't know how much "vetting" they really do.

And of course they will be selling these leads to multiple people, they won't make a lot of money selling each lead fo £10-20 only once.

6. WHGB Tom

WHGB Tom UKBF Contributor Free Member

73 6
    Never used it myself, is it something similar to Upwork? But a little more local?

Posted: May 1, 2017 By: WHGB Tom Member since: Jan 17, 2017
  7. lyonsdown

lyonsdown UKBF Contributor Free Member

78 5
    I run an IT support company.I cover a large area.I havent found Bark to be very good.Probably only get 1 in 30 turn into jobs, even when I lower my price.
    Just yesterday I got a lead who provided their phone number. They asked me my hourly rate. Literally as soon as i mentioned my price they hung up. Very rude indeed,and a good indicator of the calibre of customers. They are just shopping around for the cheapest price.
    Not a great site,then.

Posted: May 2, 2017 By: lyonsdown Member since: Mar 24, 2013
  8. Matt Temple

15 0
    Hi Lyonsdown,

This was one of my concerns. It's just another UpWork or People Per Hour were the lowest price wins however instead of paying a % of what you bill you pay upfront for the lead.

I think I'll be avoiding it.

Posted: May 2, 2017 By: Matt Temple Member since: Apr 30, 2017
  9. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,402 1,615
    Matt as a developer, you would be far better approaching local design and marketing agencies and seeing if you can work for them as a a freelancer/contractor for their client projects.

Posted: May 2, 2017 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  10. Matt Temple

15 0
    That is what I have now. I have first refusal on work from 2 local marketing companies I have found the business networking events invaluable.

I don't want to just rely on these 2 companies and Hull for business. I have this week registered myself with a business networking group in Leeds and hope to attend at least every other meeting.

I realised a long time ago the only freelance market places are flooded with low skill, low priced labour and I can't compete at that level were the lowest bidder takes all.

11. Jason Mageehan

Jason Mageehan UKBF Contributor Free Member

85 15
    Investing in PPH, freelancer and others is worthwhile - I even know people making fiverr work for them.

Surely though, and no offence here, but you're a developer, presumably for web - so shouldn't you be using your skills to demonstrate your skills? Why not pay for a copywriter to write your copy, get a UX designer to make your front end, and then use your great dev skills to build something amazing that works well on the eye and with google.

Use it as part of your portfolio. If I met a developer that said "I'm not good at sales, but I got the bits I couldn't do done by pro's, and I made the rest, and look I get 10 leads a week with no spend on adwords" - I'd got with them.

Posted: May 2, 2017 By: Jason Mageehan Member since: Feb 23, 2017
  12. Matt Temple

15 0
    I am building a strong portfolio.

The idea of building a product or service is not a bad one and I'll have a think of some ideas.

13. Erno Horvath

Erno Horvath UKBF Contributor Full Member

39 9
    Bark never worked for me.

Upwork: Not, or not always the lowest price wins. It's much more busy than Bark, I've got around 1-2 leads/month from Bark.. meanwhile on Upwork there are hundreds of projects. It's a lot of effort to reply to project etc.

Yes, you have to start with a very low hourly rate on Upwork. Like half of what you want to earn.. and after a 3-4 projects you can start increasing it gradually. I've restarted my profile with a different Upwork account and after one year I can manage to get higher hourly rates that I'd like to have when started. If you know your stuff, I think there is a market on Upwork even if you are at the higher end of developers as well.

Posted: May 2, 2017 By: Erno Horvath Member since: Jun 4, 2016
  14. EC1 Solutions

EC1 Solutions UKBF Contributor Free Member

32 7
    I found Bark has never worked for us - credits are quite expensive for the return. PPH was initially very useful to us years ago, but the competition is now vast.

We now find very targeted (either by location or service) Google Ad's most cost effective if we need to boost our client base.

But recommendation and writing relevant forum and blog posts (I initially used Linkedin as we wanted to connect with professionals on a B2B basis) is really the best foundation.

We also did a few really cheap good-cause and NFP sites years ago and that started to boost our visibility.

Good luck.

Posted: May 4, 2017 By: EC1 Solutions Member since: Apr 21, 2017
  15. BREAKLINE UK

BREAKLINE UK UKBF Contributor Free Member

34 8
    I was just about to buy a load of credits but luckily I found this thread. I thought it must be too good to be true.

Posted: May 4, 2017 By: BREAKLINE UK Member since: May 3, 2017
  16. Rob Herron

Rob Herron UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 2
    I've also been getting spammed by Bark. It started a few days ago but I've already unsubscribed.

They remind me of the dodgy cold calls I used to get whenever I listed a car on autotrader.

"we have a buyer lined up ready to purchase and all you need to do is sign up with us first for £70 and we'll make the introduction".

No doubt the leads from Bark won't amount to anything but they are probably setting the price point low enough so people think it's worth a try.

I could be completely wrong on all of the above, and those cold callers mighhave really had buyers lined up for my car - but more than likely not!

My advice would be to unsubscribe and try and generate your own leads.

Posted: May 5, 2017 By: Rob Herron Member since: May 2, 2017
  17. BREAKLINE UK

34 8
    Nothing really works anymore apart from actually going out there and talk to people.

Posted: May 7, 2017 By: BREAKLINE UK Member since: May 3, 2017
  18. EC1 Solutions

EC1 Solutions UKBF Contributor Free Member

32 7
    Have you tried MeetUp groups in your area - or even start up one of your own. I found Breakfast groups have always been well attended by professionals.

Posted: May 8, 2017 By: EC1 Solutions Member since: Apr 21, 2017
  19. BREAKLINE UK

34 8
    So today I took a leap of faith and bought some credits. I bought 40 credits (£37.40 ex VAT) and spent them on 2 clients looking for a website design with a value £400-£800. I contacted the client straight away and had a phone conversation and also gave them a quote. We operate as a digital marketing and web design agency so this applies only to our business model or others similar. Now I will wait to see if they go ahead with the jobs or I'll never hear from them again. I will keep you updated on how it went. Despite other people saying not to trust bark I had to see it myself and I will pay the price. :)

Posted: May 8, 2017 By: BREAKLINE UK Member since: May 3, 2017
  20. Website Design Ltd

Website Design Ltd UKBF Contributor Free Member

53 8
    Bark has never worked for us. Leads have always been really poor quality

Posted: May 9, 2017 By: Website Design Ltd Member since: Oct 5, 2016