Duplicate title tags

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by Publican, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Publican

Publican UKBF Contributor Free Member

63 2
    Posted: Aug 8, 2014 By: Publican Member since: Jan 26, 2013
  2. UseYourWeb

UseYourWeb UKBF Regular Free Member

158 40
    If it's only one page then it would be highly unlikely to effect your rankings. One way round it would be to append the category to the title tag giving both pages a different title but as theres a canonical link, the only thing this would help with is ocd tendencies and keeping the webmaster tools stats all looking nice :)
    The numbers reported through webmaster tools are not exactly accurate or up to date, they're still a very good indication of how google see's your site but things like this are not uncommon and unless there are loads of them then it's nothing to really worry about (1 or 2) especially when using canonicals aswell

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 By: UseYourWeb Member since: Jan 19, 2014
  3. yottacom

yottacom UKBF Regular Full Member

137 37
    i disagree, the titles are duplicated.

that's one title:
    <title>Palacio Rojo Gran Reserva 75cl | Vineyard Wine</title>
    and this one is the other one
    <title>Palacio Rojo Gran Reserva 75cl | Vineyard Wine</title>

The "html improvement" message from Webmaster tools is just pointing out that.

The real issue it's way worse: the web architecture has not been well planned.

This is happening because the website offers a totale of 97 wines which have been over-categorized in 38 categories.

Duplications are bound to happen especially if the are categories which hold only one (or less) wine.

Let's try to remember that the canonical is only a suggestion, it's not a "strong" directive. Google may decide to ignore it entirely.

My advice to OP is to increase the type of wines or reduce the categories.

Posted: Aug 9, 2014 By: yottacom Member since: Jun 24, 2014
  4. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,500 1,789
    It's not so much there are too many categories, it's that they don't point to the same end page.

It would be better point to the same end page whether the bottle it is in a country, brand, region, grape, etc.

Posted: Aug 9, 2014 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  5. Publican

63 2
    Ok, I have been getting no where with my ranking so maybe this could be part of the reason. I was looking at www.majestic.co.uk and they have there wines in the same sort of category structure as mine, as do most if not all wine sites. Wines fall into numerous category's. They use the canonical tag as well but I did notice like UKSBD said there wines are in different categories but they all point to the same end page.

My problem is am using opencart and I don't know how to do this or even if this can be done in opencart.

Posted: Aug 9, 2014 By: Publican Member since: Jan 26, 2013
  6. pickaweb

pickaweb UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

518 43
    It is super important to go through each of those pages and change title tag and description for each of them.
    Each page of your site should have unique content with unique title and description.
    Until you fix that you will get alerts in Google Webmaster Tools

Posted: Aug 9, 2014 By: pickaweb Member since: Oct 3, 2007
  7. Publican

63 2
    Yes but google webmasters tools is only picking up duplication on one of my products and I have nearly 90 products that are all in maybe 5 or 6 different category's and there not showing up because I use the canonical tag. Are you all telling me that the canonical tag doesn't do what Google them self's say it should? Or it only works in certain situations?

Posted: Aug 9, 2014 By: Publican Member since: Jan 26, 2013
  8. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,500 1,789
    The duplicate title is irrelevant if you just set one end page.

Simple way of doing it is here - http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?t=39477
    It does effect breadcrumb links though and means editing a core file.

Note though: It doesn't actually remove the other pages, just breaks all the links to them

Posted: Aug 9, 2014 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  9. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,036 148
    Regarding the duplicated titles Google will only confused about your website and cannot be trusted. Google wants to show reliable sources to the users not with untrusted websites.

Posted: Aug 11, 2014 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  10. johnzakaria

johnzakaria UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 2
    Try to make every title unique as you can

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 By: johnzakaria Member since: Aug 14, 2014
  11. Glenn Rodgers

Glenn Rodgers UKBF Newcomer Free Member

36 1
    Create meaningful and unique title per page regarding to the flavor of your website and add canonical coding on each pages of your website to avoid content duplication issue

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 By: Glenn Rodgers Member since: Sep 5, 2014
  12. JoeInTheMiddle

JoeInTheMiddle UKBF Contributor Free Member

47 7
    You could noindex or robots.txt the category pages?

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 By: JoeInTheMiddle Member since: Sep 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.