DPD - UK Export Commodity Code Prohibited List - No car parts to the EU?

Discussion in 'International Business' started by JRatron, Jan 12, 2021.

1. JRatron

JRatron UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 9
    Has anyone come across this?
    DPD have just cancelled and returned all our deliveries to EU citing that they contain prohibited goods.
    They've sent this doc over to explain, which contains a matrix of EU countries and a list of commodity codes which they will accept or are prohibited to be sent there.
    https://www.dpd.co.uk/xml/content/about_dpd/uk-export-prohibited-list-v2.pdf

I understand the 'no live animals, no explosives, no arms and ammunitions', but this appears to state that no EU country will accept any shipment containing commodity codes beginning with '87' which basically covers all parts for all road going cars. This is a bit of an issue for us as a car parts supplier.... Surely they've got this wrong somehow?

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  2. DefinitelyMaybeUK

DefinitelyMaybeUK UKBF Contributor Free Member

53 8
    That's quite a comprehensive list - no wonder they've suspended services (at least until tomorrow at the last look). I've not seen anything being prohibited on UPS or interparcel who we normally use. The implication is that it's the EU that's not accepting, but that's not knowingly the official stance. The list looks to be dated 18-12-2020 (?)

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: DefinitelyMaybeUK Member since: Jan 12, 2021
  3. JRatron

96 9
    It's a weird list, because in some aspects it's very specific, but others it's just a blanket exclusion.
    We can't get clarification yet of where or who this is being dictated by, but we know that other traders have had no issue sending these '87' products with TNT for example

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  4. 2JP

2JP UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 8
    Obscene! I think someone extremist in DPD is trying to spank GB for being naughty and leaving the EU. I think the most important question to ask is if there are any ham sandwiches being smuggled in the car parts. You did realise DPD was owned by the French (La Poste), didn't you? Try to bribe them with some fish, perhaps. Outrageous.

Ultimately, DPD can decide what they will and will not transport. There is no 'getting it wrong'. This is the policy they choose to adopt. I am not sure that DPD will be the UK's favourite much longer.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  5. 2JP

96 8
    Thinking about it, this is a p**s take. Why would these items suddenly become 'prohibited' because of Brexit? Extra regulations/declarations required, possibly. Licenses required, possibly. Restricted, possibly. But prohibited on such a broad scale?! Also, why would a prohibited list be specifically made for the UK; we are just like any other country outside the EU now, are we not? When was this prohibited list created?

The description next to 90 is hilarious. I never knew syringes were a) in so many product categories (they are not) and, b) they are not even measuring devices!

It may be any combination of incompetence at a high level, obstructive protectionism, playing it very very safe and minimising the customer service required, or they simply want to cut down on UK custom.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  6. JRatron

96 9
    I can only think they've made a mistake. It's worded "Countries marked with X will not accept the commodity" as though the issue is the country will not accept it, rather than DPD will not send it.
    Trying to get to the bottom of this today...

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  7. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Regular Free Member

121 42
    DPD HAVE paused their European services (Have a look at the DPD UK website which confirms this on the homepage), but this is nothing to do with specific shipments, and they are just concerned as to the BREXIT fallout and delays. They had planned to re-start services today, but nothing has been updated.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  8. JRatron

96 9
    Yeah, this is a totally separate issue. We've had a test parcel to France rejected by DPD internal rules and returned to us due to these prohibited goods.
    As far as them resuming service, they haven't issued a formal update yet but our account manager is saying they expect it to start again this Friday 15th

9. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Regular Free Member

121 42
    OK, I've not heard anything about prohibited items, they shouldn't have changed, but occasionally it does happen.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  10. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,998 4,710
    Steel products from the UK are now subject to EU import quotas that apply for all non-EU countries COLLECTIVELY, so if these have been exhausted for 2021 by all the other countries . . . well, you get the idea.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  11. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,737 1,133
    I used measuring syringes to measure chemicals including acid. Squirt that in your eye and you would know it. What about paint mixing machines?

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  12. JRatron

96 9
    DPD account manager has confirmed that this ruling for 'no car parts to Europe' is being challenged internally, but has no idea how long that will take.

13. 2JP

96 8
    Sorry, I made a mistake; my point (haha) was that the 'Dangerous Goods' example given, prohibited by DPD could surely only rationally refer to the pointy bit which is a needle, not a syringe. Yes, the goods could contain dangerous or prohibited articles or substances but you do not classify all containers as dangerous just because someone might put something dangerous in a container. You classify the dangerous part. I think in your example it would be the acid which is the dangerous bit. Of course, jabbing a pen in someone's eye also makes it pretty dangerous in my book.

I interpret this prohibited list created by DPD as being their own internal decision making on what they don't want to transport from the 'UK' and that this is quite different from international, or country specific trade rules. (The UK post office, likewise, has a list of prohibited articles not to be posted, for example, that only loosely subscribes to international transport or national transport regs. Many goods types are prohibited in addition to the regs because the post office simply wants to minimise risk while transporting and is willing to lose custom from those wanting to post those goods, rather than take the risk of transporting/handling them.)

This is DPD's 'prohibited' list.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Posted: Jan 13, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  14. JRatron

96 9
    Nah, cos there's stuff like woolly gloves on there o_O
    "Gloves, mittens and mitts, knitted or crocheted; Other; Of wool or fine animal hair"

15. 2JP

96 8
    Yes, animal products need more paperwork/checks (if they do things properly). DPD clearly don't want the potential hassle. Prohibiting everything in the classification is the simplest option.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  16. JRatron

96 9
    We're still hopeful that this is an oversight. One of DPDs biggest customers is EuroCarParts and this would totally kill off all that business with them.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  17. 2JP

96 8
    If I were you, I would start investigating other couriers/freight fowarders asap. Unless whoever has drawn up that list you linked to is utterly incompetent I cannot see how it can be an oversight to inflict massive blanket prohibition on such a large number of classifications.

Of course, it would have been more convenient if DPD had simply said something like, 'After Brexit, don't use us, we're not very interested in UK exports anymore. Bof.'

Don't let a fixation with one courier/freight forwarder ruin your trade.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  18. DefinitelyMaybeUK

DefinitelyMaybeUK UKBF Contributor Free Member

53 8
    Maybe slightly simpler and perhaps a nice new earner for couriers, but a right PITA for EU customers who don't like the new doubt on charges and perhaps more importantly the bottom line hit for UK exporters who happen to have EU competition.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: DefinitelyMaybeUK Member since: Jan 12, 2021
  19. JRatron

96 9
    Good advice, thanks. Yes, we have a few alternatives lined up

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  20. 2JP

96 8
    (Sorry, deleted my comment as off topic but you grabbed it before I could. As off topic I won't answer here other than to say try to minimise surprises for your customers. I am not sure what or how deliverers are charging for/collecting in the EU at the moment. I am seeing small posted packets arrive here from EU with no declarations attached and no mention of customs or VAT by anyone. The gross omission by our government was not informing small businesses about the need to re-assess DDP and e-commerce and all that is involved - instead they just kept droning on about getting an EORI number, not really pointing out this only helps exit of goods from GB; very little info or help has been given about the subsequent import into EU. This morning I was in an HMRC webinar regarding exports. I asked for info on importing into the EU. I was given a link to importing into GB. Just about sums it up.)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017