Does OneDrive strip out content in ZIP folder

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by wood1e2, Jan 27, 2021.

1. wood1e2

wood1e2 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,156 167
    Hi

I have zipped up a backup of a clients website and uploaded to OneDrive twice now. And twice the ZIP file is empty when I download it another computer.

Does Onedrive strip out content in a ZIP folder?

The reason I ask is that I know OneDrive cannot or use to not be able to save long named files with swiggles/hyphens etc. That's why I have never used it, but that was a long time ago. And it may not be relevant to this issue! But thought I would mention it.

I may try Google Drive and Dropbox in the short term for this, but would be good to get to the bottom of this.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 By: wood1e2 Member since: May 2, 2007
  2. WebDesires

WebDesires UKBF Regular Full Member

274 47
    I have not had any issues with onedrive stripping files from ZIP - in fact it shouldnt be poking around in them at all.

Check the filesize of the zip, does it appear to have the contents? It could be your virus software identifying either correctly or incorrectly an exploit and stripping the files for you.

If not I have no idea why your zip appears to be empty. It certainly cannot be onedrive though.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
  3. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,791 327
    Does the Zip you are uploading have a long filename?

Simple answer is that OneDrive does not strip out the contents of a Zip file. As it is happening then there myst be an issue elsewhere.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  4. Alcom IT

Alcom IT UKBF Newcomer Full Member

10 0
    OneDrive wouldn't strip out the contents of a zip file but there may be upload issues. Although Zip files are standardised there are a few different ZIP standards. Maybe the zip file you have isn't compatible with the zip standards that OneDrive supports. Did you use Microsoft Windows to create the ZIP file or did you use a 3rd party zip tool like WinZip?

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 By: Alcom IT Member since: Jan 27, 2021
  5. wood1e2

2,156 167
    I am upload a ZIP file compressed by Apple Mac

The file size is 38GB and there is no content when I download on a Win10 machine. It takes a couple of seconds to download and there is no content to extract

so maybe switching machines is the problem?

6. wood1e2

2,156 167
    I am try a remote PC transfer at the moment.... will take a while :)

7. Alcom IT

Alcom IT UKBF Newcomer Full Member

10 0
    Wow that's a pretty big ZIP file. Can you do a test creating a smaller ZIP file in Windows and uploading it via Windows? That will prove where the issue is.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 By: Alcom IT Member since: Jan 27, 2021
  8. wood1e2

2,156 167
    I gave up, it was bad enough a few year go not being able to upload website backups, because of limitation on 'sharepoint' but not being able to upload a ZIP folder is even more annoying.

Thanks for the comments.

9. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

932 206
    Definitely a picnic problem. We use onedrive business with about 10tb going in and out a month with very few issues
    Can you upload zip file up to 100gb yes no problem via onedrive Client. Upload via browser not a chance. The key with any larger file like zip and rar would be to spilt the zip files in smaller chunks for testing and have it self extracting all chunks back in one file.

There is no build in security in onedrive. You dump data in your file container and no virus check will be done by Microsoft.

From all the cloud drives I found onedrive and Google drive the most stable ones. Dropbox and icloud are products for the bin. I am never able to download from Dropbox files over 10gb regardless of the browser and need a download manager for that.

How about ftp upload and download via website storage.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  10. wood1e2

2,156 167
    So uploading a 38GB file via browser is not possible? Maybe that is the issue then?

I have never had a problem with DropBox, not on file sizes, but then I never really uploaded anything this big. I stopped using Dropbox as I have a Microsoft account for email, so thought I might as well use Onedrive. Save money and bring everything under one roof.

I only use it for admin storage, it cannot handle website backups as mentioned previously. So I store them locally now, SSDs are so cheap I don't need 'online storage' in the same way I used to think I do.

I have used FTP to upload my 38GB to the server, and will download to my laptop.

Thanks for the help. :)

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 By: wood1e2 Member since: May 2, 2007
  11. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

932 206
    Correct every browser upload over 4gb becomes a Russian roulette and is a hit and miss based on available resources on the machine.

Same can happen with downloads.

The cloud provider wouldn't be at fault and more a local resource issue. To prevent that I would always recommend using the sync tools they provide.

I uploaded via w10 build in onedrive business today 6 x 95gb zip files no issue at all but i failed to download again a 25gb zip file from Dropbox box via browser download. All 3 main browser
    Install the one drive app for macos and uploads should be much more stable.

Software Versions Upload Limit
    Internet Explorer 32bit All versions (3-8) 2GB-1
    Internet Explorer 64bit v. 8 2GB-1 (!)
    Mozilla Firefox All versions 2GB-1
    Google Chrome All versions >4GB
    Opera 10 >4GB

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017