Country of origin marking necessary for import form China into UK?

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Wilson1973, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Wilson1973

Wilson1973 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

27 1
    Hi all,

I see a number of similar posts, but not one that is clear to me.

I'm importing electrical products from China to UK, and for the first time the factory have asked whether I need made in china labels on all items. Ive never been asked this before and have been importing for a number of years. I don't see any resource that suggests that it is mandatory, but just assumed this was the done thing.

So question is, is it mandatory for import into the UK and resale in the UK only, or is it then required only if you import and then further export to other EU countries ? Does it need to be on the item or on the outer it is contained within? Some clarification / pointers would be greatly appreciated.

It's a minefield.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 By: Wilson1973 Member since: Jan 19, 2011
  2. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Ace Free Member

1,078 233
    Posted: Apr 8, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  3. Wilson1973

27 1
    I understand for food you have to have origin, but have seen some references to not being required for non food. I'm not looking to hide the manufacture, it's just been the first time ive been asked whether I want to include it or not.

Hopefully someone has the definitive view they can share.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 By: Wilson1973 Member since: Jan 19, 2011
  4. Larry Fong

Larry Fong UKBF Contributor Full Member

81 8
    Posted: Apr 10, 2021 By: Larry Fong Member since: Dec 16, 2020
  5. Wilson1973

27 1
    Thanks, this talks of trade and cooperation with the EU. Im not selling to the EU, just importing into the UK. Ive asked for paid support from trading standards under their bite size user request. Will see what they come back with and let you all know for certain.

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 By: Wilson1973 Member since: Jan 19, 2011
  6. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Regular Free Member

196 32
    Just to clarify for you there is no legal requirement to put the country of origin on the label or packaging for general goods. However if you chose to put the country of origin on it has to be factually correct.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  7. Wilson1973

27 1
    Thanks. I had only this morning had this confirmed by Trading Standards. No requirement for a country of origin label (made inxxx) on electrical goods, however the manufacturing address and distributor address should be included on the product, or on documentation distributed with the product for traceability.

Thanks, that's cleared up, hope this helps others looking for the definitive view - well as it stands for today at least.

Thanks

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 By: Wilson1973 Member since: Jan 19, 2011