General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Costco, Makro or Bookers - From experience?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by daiso, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daiso

daiso Guest

78 9
    Hey all,

I know, this is a tricky one.

Which of Costco, Makro or Bookers is better? Of course, first in terms of savings. But also, in terms of quality.

Any experience to share?

Thanks,

D

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 By: daiso Member since: Oct 4, 2009
  2. bestforsextoys

bestforsextoys UKBF Regular Free Member

387 24
    Hello

We use makro and we get good quility from them but we are going to be opeing an account with costco but they charge something like £12 something a year i think it may be £27 but not sure check that out but i have been told that costco stock more.

Thanks
    Austin

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 By: bestforsextoys Member since: Jun 12, 2009
  3. Em Shepherd

Em Shepherd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 4
    We use Costco, and have done for years. We got membership with them int he first instance because they were the only ones near us, but we now live near a Macro too, and still prefer Costco. It is good quality, altough stock rotates reasonably quickly, so if you see something you want, you need to get it. (Some things they stock year round). Staff are always really helpful too, very friendly, I always think that makes a difference.

Something else they do is business of the month (2 of) I don't know about Macro. They come out take some details and photos and then put up a display in the store fora whole month for other patrons to see...and all for free. You just tel them at reception you want to do it! Brilliant :D

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 By: Em Shepherd Member since: Oct 12, 2009
  4. mistershifter

mistershifter Guest

30 3
    It depends what trade you are? catering or retail?
    I was in retail but found makro to be semi useless most of the time. Stock availability was always the issue along with pricing eg. pricemarked packs of butter flashed at 79p costing 77p obviously gearing towards the general public. I could go on and on here but won't to spare bandwidth:D.

I would suggest cherry pick from them all. I went from a weekly spend of £3k at makro to about £500 if they were lucky due to sheer tomfoolery with stock availability on their part. They very often had it in stock but couldn't find it.
    Obviously different stores will be different but pricing will be national I guess.

hth
    Kev

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 By: mistershifter Member since: Sep 21, 2009
  5. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    They may have good deals ocassionally on special offers/promotions, but when I visited our nearest Costco and Makro, I found many of the goods I was interested in (electrical) were no cheaper than local supermarkets/sheds, and certainly all could be bought cheaper from on line suppliers. In my case, if I add to this the cost in time and money of going to pick them up, they would have worked out quite expensive.

Barrie

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  6. letterboxunlimited

letterboxunlimited UKBF Newcomer Free Member

199 45
    Makro has become a lot more user friendly and i have found the service has improved dramatically for real trade customers over the last year. i have a gold card , get better pricing than the shelf, a yearly kick back and this week i got a £50 shopping voucher.

Costco has nice cakes and meat but is not really competitive on most lines. The on thing the do offer great pricing on is soft drinks but thats about it for me.

One thing that drives me nuts in any cash and carry is the "happy shoppers" who have one card and three friends who all want to pay separately for about £10 worth of stuff. i often think a trip to asda would be a better idea for these people!

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 By: letterboxunlimited Member since: Oct 7, 2009
  7. skyhi2

skyhi2 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

854 160
    @ em shepherd,the business of the month is a great way to promote your business for a month,although it`s not quite free.There is a £15 charge,which goes to a local charity ( i will be in mine in December :)
    Costco have great deals on electricals,and a 3 year guarantee is pretty much standard these days.
    Stopped using Makro,as i got fed up queueing behind 30 people with 1 item ( might have changed by now:)

Skyhi2.

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 By: skyhi2 Member since: Sep 9, 2009
  8. Sherlock Homeless

Sherlock Homeless UKBF Regular Free Member

120 40
    Costco - Worth it for the specials, really it's just a day out shopping for bored housewives who can play at being shopkeeper.

Makro - Much the same apart from the housewives have screaming children in tow.

Booker - The bread and butter of most retailers, average at best but quite good at it.

The best solution? A dedicated wholesaler that ships to your door from an electronic/hard catalog with net or phone ordering, won't mention any names as this is a field that I'm about to branch into but this saves you overall on costs (both to your business and initial buy in), cashflow, stock control and time.

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 By: Sherlock Homeless Member since: Jul 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.