Choosing an ecommerce solution

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Faevilangel, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Michael Beaumont

Michael Beaumont UKBF Contributor Full Member

58 5
    If you are a one man band then you can pick and choose any platform you like as it will be yourself that will have to learn how it all works. This can be fairly quick or quite tedious depending on the complexity of the solution. I see most "developers" now opting for woo-commerce as they are used to how Wordpress works. This can work fine until you come up against competition for your product keywords and find you are down on the search listings.

When products are competitive you need a code light solution so pages work faster and more visible to search engines. The cost of an easy to put together solution can be soon outweighed by the ability to market the products.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 By: Michael Beaumont Member since: Sep 9, 2019
  2. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,531 228
    I am coming to this late but

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  3. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,531 228
    On the other hand I e-mailed shopwired saying I was thinking of switching and asking a few questions. I received zero response. So much for the supposed good support...

Unless you are already experience in php, html, ajax, mysql, etc.,... the source code from an "open source" solution will be opaque gobbledygook, and you will end up paying for someone to do any but the simplest modifications for you.

Whichever system you choose, make sure you, or the provider, have a solution for the registration spam that you will suffer from.

Posted: Nov 23, 2019 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  4. ShivPillai

ShivPillai UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    It also depend on pricing and payments, online support and security.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 By: ShivPillai Member since: Jun 8, 2018
  5. Ecommerce-Help

Ecommerce-Help UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 5
    I'm a big Opencart fan. I find it easy to set up, easy to use, easy to develop and customize and very affordable for things like extensions and themes.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 By: Ecommerce-Help Member since: Jan 7, 2020
  6. Kidz Gifts

Kidz Gifts UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 3
    Agree with William04 - Pre build CMS are best option easy and quick to customize ;)

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 By: Kidz Gifts Member since: Feb 23, 2018
  7. SesO

SesO UKBF Contributor Free Member

39 6
    Choosing E-commerce platforms or way to customise your website depends on your needs. If you have a few products and sub categories then Pre build CMS are best option easy and quick to customize. If you have a lot and require regular updates, then a bespoke option is better. A bespoke option is better for SEO because Google prefers it. It prefers website pages that have less code and more visible content. A pre-built template will restrict you, but it could be a better option if you only have a few products to sell.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 By: SesO Member since: Nov 6, 2019
  8. Charlie Gr

Charlie Gr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 2
    Practical advise : I get exposed to many of these questions when talking to different customers and have seen this question come up multiple times during discussions. With what I have seen a successful model (implemented by few) is -
    • go with a hosted solution on day 1, for e.g. Shopify or something like that, quick to rollout / launch
    • as the business grows, go with a bit more sophisticated solution which can integrate with shipping systems e.g. woocommerce / zoho commerce
    • if it grows further then go with a full fledged "custom" solution which meets the business needs e..g Magento
    even though this looks like throwing away previous investments with each new step, there are many practical advantages like -
    • you only invest in what you need
    • you revisit your real business requirements / model - there by optimizing the business everytime and stop focussing on unwanted items
    • you are aware of how much inventory you are carrying .... (yes many people get lost in the huge database on what they have with them)

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 By: Charlie Gr Member since: Jun 3, 2019
  9. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,487 645
    Having just migrated from Opencart to Prestashop around September last year...it's not a process I would want to do that often, so I'm now firmly in the camp of "establish what you need, research....roll with it, and hope you never have to migrate away!" ...the notion of migrating every couple of years makes me want to curl up in a corner in the foetal position.

FWIW I did my research & Prestashop was on the up & up, good support community, running costs are low...I'm happy with my choice

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  10. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,667 627
    Switching platforms is usually tough, no matter what platform you are going from and to. Alex

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  11. Charlie Gr

Charlie Gr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 2
    Agree this is complex, but immaterial of what anyone says, businesses end up doing this anyways - if - the business grows. So, why not plan for this upfront :)

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 By: Charlie Gr Member since: Jun 3, 2019
  12. antropy

3,667 627
    Yes we like Prestashop too, it was up there with OpenCart when we reviewed them all. Paul.

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  13. zigojacko

zigojacko I say it how it is Full Member - Verified Business

3,662 1,188
    Mindful of the fact that this sticky thread was created some time ago now so probably doesn't contain completely up-to-date and accurate information (though some of it still relevant as is quite generic), I remembered that last year, I published a beginner's guide to starting up an ecommerce store which lists what options are available currently in the market and weighed up the pros and cons. It's also going to be a guide that I regularly revisit, keep up to date and maintain as things change as well. You can check it out at the below link. Thought it might be useful to anyone that visits this sticky thread on here...

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ecommerce-solutions-options-2019-geoff-jackson/

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 By: zigojacko Member since: Dec 7, 2009
  14. Haimen

Haimen UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 0
    You have discussed everything all about Ecommerce Solution. In my last thread on this forum, I have asked people regarding OpenCart. Since everyone give me positive response and suggested me to go with Opencart, since its has no limitation to add multiple products in a day.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: Haimen Member since: Oct 17, 2019
  15. CroftL

CroftL UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Thanks for the great article. I personally prefer to have control over my website and store, hosting solution works the best for me as I can edit my website as much as I can while it's being hosted by a company.

Posted: Apr 15, 2020 By: CroftL Member since: Apr 15, 2020
  16. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito UKBF Regular Free Member

199 32
    We're just switching from Shopify Advanced to Shopify Plus - yes it's expensive but we're at the stage now where we need to take that step.

Overall Shopify has been very good and easy to use in our experience.

Posted: Apr 26, 2020 By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016
  17. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,362 9,869
    You could get your own shop set up for less than you pay shopify each year - with far more control and far more features. But if it works for you that's OK.

Posted: Apr 26, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  18. Alpha Helica Peptides

Alpha Helica Peptides UKBF Contributor Free Member

68 7
    Yes, WordPress is the best source for creating a website, Easily manageable.

Posted: Apr 27, 2020 By: Alpha Helica Peptides Member since: Feb 10, 2020
  19. antropy

3,667 627
    The OP asked for an Ecommerce Platform, Wordpress most definitely does not tick this box! Alex

Posted: Apr 27, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  20. Alpha Helica Peptides

Alpha Helica Peptides UKBF Contributor Free Member

68 7
    As per the E-Commerce WordPress Also best for E-Commerce Store. Along with WooCommerce Plugin we able to setup the E-Commerce store on WordPress.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 By: Alpha Helica Peptides Member since: Feb 10, 2020