Choosing an ecommerce solution

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Faevilangel, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Websitehandyman

Websitehandyman UKBF Ace Full Member

2,158 535
    I think people have think long and hard before the decide on what path the want to take. Their choices should be part of their business plan. You would be suprised on how many people don't even concider what shopping cart they use untill they are ready to push the button. Then they walk right into the arms of a developer who, perhaps never even used a shopping cart to sell or run a online shop, tells them what one they need. Sorry for me that's not the best way to go.

In fact one shopping cart might not meet your needs. I wouldn't rule out making cost a higher priority and ruling out the more expensive options. Perhaps go for cheap and chearful and then plan a profressive switch when your business has proven it's worth.

And cost is not only the the software application, it's the resources it needs and the time it will take you to do the tasks you need to do. My own opinion is for most start-up Magento is by far the most expensive. CS-Cart has all the features anyone could need in a cart but like so many other has annoying aspects. Prestashop is free if you don't need extra features it doesn't come with but, for me is a bit flakey especially in setup and configuring for uk use. The is a new kid on the block that looks promising but may have too meny bugs to uet concider Loaded Pro 7. Contains a fully mobil template for shop and admin.

Posted: May 8, 2014 By: Websitehandyman Member since: Nov 25, 2011
  2. vigneshmiet

vigneshmiet UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    Good Info :)

Posted: May 12, 2014 By: vigneshmiet Member since: May 12, 2014
  3. MageWorx

MageWorx UKBF Contributor Full Member

49 13
    Great insights!

Posted: May 14, 2014 By: MageWorx Member since: Sep 20, 2013
  4. HazelChris

HazelChris UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    It's a great topic that is shared.Well I totally agree with you that every E-commerce platform has it's own advantages and disadvantage but I preferred to choose Shopify Platform for some reasons.It is very much easy to use with lots of helpful guidelines.

Posted: May 23, 2014 By: HazelChris Member since: May 6, 2014
  5. Sam Cummings

Sam Cummings UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Shopify is a great place to start if you are looking for a straight forward solution - and is becoming very popular now. This is a huge advantage if you are looking for a system that is easy to plug into a fulfilment warehouse, or other 3rd party. Magento works well for many of our clients, but the final decision will always come down to the resources that you can realistically put into creating your e-commerce site. I'm happy to advise on a case by case basis if anyone would like some guidance. :)

Posted: May 29, 2014 By: Sam Cummings Member since: May 29, 2014
  6. HankMcSpank

HankMcSpank UKBF Regular Free Member

196 27
    Open source is great...until you hit problem, then you're in the lap of the gods towards getting it sorted!

Posted: May 29, 2014 By: HankMcSpank Member since: Nov 25, 2009
  7. amac

amac UKBF Regular Full Member

426 33
    Agreed. People often overlook vital stuff with hosted carts e.g. PCI compliance and there are only a handful of solutions like Shopify that meet these requirements.

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 By: amac Member since: Dec 31, 2011
  8. fulfillmenteurope

fulfillmenteurope UKBF Contributor Full Member

52 5
    As hosted solution Magento is the better solution, and market use mainly this shopping cart, but learning curve, configuration and use could be a little bit complicated, so if your shop its not very complicated and you have not much experience i recommend you to choose Woocommerce or prestashop.

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 By: fulfillmenteurope Member since: Apr 19, 2014
  9. mud-stx

mud-stx UKBF Regular Free Member

213 54
    does anyone have any news on the release of opencart 2.0?

Posted: Jun 4, 2014 By: mud-stx Member since: Feb 10, 2010
  10. spidersense

spidersense UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Good basic outline. As an SEO and web designer I've had to fix a number of different ecommerce sites and seen the advantages and disadvantages of some of the available programs, though by no means all of them. I've also been involved in developing a CMS that also incorporated ecommerce capability but which sadly died with the company involved before it could be developed fully.

One thing I seldom see mentioned in discussions is this combination of CMS and ecommerce - so many ecommerce sites are just ecommerce and no real content outside the products. Since you can never be fully up to date with all of them I'd like to canvas opinion on the best integrated options at the moment for this purpose.

To give a specific example I have a client who is looking to redevelop an established site which was built in OsCommerce and heavily modified over the years. They'll still need that level of admin capability (and more) but I want to make sure that we can also generate more content around the site than we can do at the moment. I've worked with Magento sites before and while it's powerful it does have SEO issues with duplicate content and little CMS capability. I am concerned also with the very overdue version 2 and the reported incompatibility with version 1.8. I dislike Joomla intensely, but am planning on investigating Drupal since it's a few years since I last looked at it.

Any others that would fit this particular bill? Or do I have to look at combining two different programs together to get the capability I'm looking for.
    Opinions gratefully received.

Posted: Jun 6, 2014 By: spidersense Member since: Jun 6, 2014
  11. johnpauull

johnpauull UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    It is better to prefer pre build software. we can choose the on which suits our ecommerce store and can get it customized according to our needs.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 By: johnpauull Member since: May 6, 2014
  12. Parcelhub Ltd

Parcelhub Ltd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

41 3
    I would generally go for Magento / Linnworks for medium to large ecommerce operations, or Shopify for smaller businesses

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 By: Parcelhub Ltd Member since: Jun 24, 2014
  13. Faevilangel

Faevilangel Website Critic Full Member

7,564 2,404
    It was scheduled for release in 2013 but got delayed (basically only one person builds it) and is now available to download but not close to being ready for release, you can download it from github here

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 By: Faevilangel Member since: Jun 29, 2009
  14. MikeStressed

MikeStressed UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 3
    Well said Paul!

We've build solutions using Magento for clients - it does have some pretty cool features and is VERY configurable, with lots of cool extensions available to expand beyond it's core offering. That said, although I'd say Magento is ONE of the top platforms, the 'Best' platform is very subjective!

For a mom n pop website that wants to sell 5 or 6 products locally, Magento is a bit of overkill and to have something developed that works well for them is likely wayyyyy too much work for either their time/knowledge, or financial budget. A solution as simple as woocommerce or perhaps as a mid-way point shopify may suffice.

I've been involved in consultancy gigs where I've advised companies of all sizes on different platforms, from small local traditionally bricks-='n mortar businesses to multi million turnover multinational agencies and I'd honestly say there is no 'best' ecommerce platform in my opinion - as already mentioned here what's best is the one that has the features the client needs - or can be adapted to meet those needs. The needs vary from client-to-client, from website-to-website and so the 'best' solution varies too :)

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 By: MikeStressed Member since: Jun 25, 2014
  15. Parcelhub Ltd

Parcelhub Ltd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

41 3
    If you have an in-house web developer (or are prepared to accept the costs involved with hiring a web agency), then an open source platform would be fine. In my experience though, Wordpress can be overly complicated, like when you update all the plugins, the website can reformat itself.

Posted: Jun 30, 2014 By: Parcelhub Ltd Member since: Jun 24, 2014
  16. principal360

principal360 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I use Virtuemart on the Joomla! platform. Both are open source and extremely powerful. They take a bit of learning but work great and are very low cost.

Posted: Jul 11, 2014 By: principal360 Member since: Jul 11, 2014
  17. Social Management Pro's

Social Management Pro's UKBF Contributor Free Member

34 1
    Wordpress with woocommerce is really easy to use and affective. It's very cheap to get going with it with a premium theme where you fill in the gaps.

Posted: Jul 31, 2014 By: Social Management Pro's Member since: Jul 18, 2014
  18. serpyre

serpyre UKBF Newcomer Free Member

80 5
    Shopify/WooCommerce/Prestashop will have avg $50,000 revenue per year upper limits, Magento CE $120,000 (we were given figures in USD). With $20/mth hosting on Tier 7 (Siteground) with WooCommerce you can expect $400/mth revenue & 65visitors/mth organically - no marketing. So the better the hosting company/architecture and the better the platform and the higher the number of products the more organic traffic you will receive - although there are other factors. After that it is your time or PPC (waste of money) to generate more traffic - and that is getting harder by the day. Saw a test store with 30,000 products on Magento CE running on Tier 2 hosting (same as Selfridges etc) in special $2,100/mth cluster - pushed the products first page next to Amazon within a few weeks and stupid amount of organic traffic - Google thought it was a $multi-million company. So you really need to decide who you are going to be selling to and how much revenue you are looking to generate.

Posted: Jul 31, 2014 By: serpyre Member since: Oct 28, 2013
  19. ecoleman

ecoleman UKBF Regular Free Member

392 71
    Where do you get this BS? and please, please, please use paragraphs.

Posted: Aug 1, 2014 By: ecoleman Member since: Feb 12, 2010
  20. serpyre

serpyre UKBF Newcomer Free Member

80 5
    Now now, no need to be rude, business must be slow. See you're running opencart with 6,000 visitors per month on a cheapie Tier 7 host - yes - that would be painful for you to accept them as fact - fair enough.

Posted: Aug 1, 2014 By: serpyre Member since: Oct 28, 2013