Charging VAT for supplying services to EU

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Scooteruk, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Scooteruk

Scooteruk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    I wonder if someone could please offer me some guidance. I am VAT registered Ltd company in the UK supplying software testing service to various clients in the UK.

I have now secured a contract with a client in Germany who is also a VAT registered organization. All their work will be done in my UK office. No product will be developed for or supplied to the customer. It will just be a software testing service only. I will be visiting them once a month for a couple of days for update / meetings etc.

I need some guidance on 2 things:

1. When I send them a monthly invoice, should I charge them VAT at standard 20% or should I charge them VAT at 0%. On GOV.uk site, I seem to be getting mixed messages about this so I am lost!

2. My business has a GBP bank account in the UK and I also have a personal Euro account in Germany. The agreement with the client is in terms of Euro. Therefore should I take their Euro payment in my German (Euro) account and them transfer that money back to my LTD company account in the UK myself or should I ask the client to pay invoices directly to my UK GBP account.

I would be grateful for any clarification on this.
    Regards

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 By: Scooteruk Member since: Mar 2, 2018
  2. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

14,043 2,993
    Posted: Mar 2, 2018 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  3. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

387 45
    B2B within the EU you need to obtain their Vat number and keep records. Check it here for eu countries. http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/ Once you validated it you charge 0% Vat to them and declare it on your vat return online. B2C to another European country you must charge 20% VAT
    They must pay in your GB account via iban and vat must be taken off before the payment. You cannot invoice them with vat and later refund it. It must be done before payment. Hope that helps.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  4. Scooteruk

3 0
    Thanks for your reply. Obviously I am not an expert like you so I want to clarify:

My situation is a B2B within the EU. I have used the link and VAT number has been validated.

So now when I send them a monthly invoice,
    1. I show VAT at 0%? and
    2. They only pay me the NET amount of the invoice in my GBP account?
    3. And I display mine and their VAT numbers on the invoice?

Are these 3 statements correct?
    Thanks again for your help.

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 By: Scooteruk Member since: Mar 2, 2018
  5. Nico Albrecht

387 45
    point 1 correct 0%
    point 2 correct let them choose euro and the bank converts it to gbp
    point 3 same as with any UK transaction but feel free to add their VAT number as well

I would recommend to check their vat number prior to any invoice you send out and print a copy for your records. It will have date and time you checked it to cover you. Do the checks on a regular base and keep records of it in form of a print out. For vat returns online there is a section for eu sales to declare. All pretty straight forward only thing you cannot do is B2B charge vat they pay in full and later want the vat refunded. I believe this is not possible and must be solved prior payment.

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  6. Nico Albrecht

387 45
    Posted: Mar 4, 2018 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  7. Scooteruk

3 0
    Thank you very much for your time and for the clarification. Regards

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Scooteruk Member since: Mar 2, 2018
  8. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,546 265
    I think - but aint no expert that ...

You need their VAT number and on the invoice
    You supply them not at 0% - though it is - but with a VAT code you set up for this which then is at 0%
    As opposed to Exempt or Zero rated

Hey why not phone their help line and speak to someone whom knows nothing about it or anything else to do with VAT

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  9. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

10,578 1,109
    You've dealt with Her Majesty's Infernal Revenue Service before I see. :)

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017