Charging excessive amounts for domain names

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by JJWinst, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJWinst

JJWinst UKBF Regular Free Member

313 16
    Hey,

What is it with a large proportion of domain names being 'held' by third party companies trying to charge excessive amounts? I've come across at least 3 examples where I've found a domain to have been registered for 5+ years and these companies want to try and charge in excess of 20k! I don't see the sense in it.

In one of my examples, there's no trade mark, no company formed and plenty possible variations on the domain name, but the .com is held at ransom from a company who are happy to sit on it until someone desperately wants it.

V.frustrating!

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 By: JJWinst Member since: Mar 27, 2013
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,709 957
    A domain, like anything, is worth what someone is willing to pay. It costs them a few quid a year to sit on them, and they only need one or 2 people to pay the silly amounts and they have made a tidy sum.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,144 1,702
    If you want it, make an offer or pay the price. If you think the price is excessive move on. Simple. It is a free market.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

12,521 1,332
    If its excessive it won't ever sell so the company either reduces price or holds onto a non-earning item.

Its them who gets to decide, not you.

If its too high for you to want to buy it then don't buy it. Lots more you can buy.
    If you must have that particular domain name then no price is excessive because you must have it.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. evhow90

evhow90 UKBF Contributor Free Member

27 3
    I'm with you! My absolute pet hate. I don't think there is a problem with holding domains you intend to use in the future, but to buy just to sell on for thousands is immoral.

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: evhow90 Member since: Mar 3, 2019
  6. AllUpHere

2,709 957
    You do realise you are on a business forum?

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  7. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,093 3,147
    No, it's not - it's common sense.

The Interweb began properly in the mid-90s and D.names were cheap and easy to get.

Many businesses, esp. in the UK, were totally asleep at the wheel and missed golden opportunities back then, inc. registering any names that they might need in the future. There is little merit in crying 'Foul!' because of missed opportunities!

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  8. evhow90

27 3
    Thanks for the quote. I do realise there will be some impressive business people here, I am a little business with really ethical values, there's more to having a business than just making money.

Best Wishes

9. evhow90

27 3

Just my opinion sorry if I offended anyone. I just have been in positions in the last when you think of a really good startup, but the name is taken and not being used. But it's not possible to afford thousands to buy it. I feel like I might be alone here though.

10. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Contributor Free Member

58 8
    I may be wrong but aren't most valuable assets held the same way?

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  11. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Contributor Free Member

58 8
    The days of a domain name having much impact on the success of a business are long gone. If it annoys you so much just make a point of never paying more than reg fee for a domain, then sit back and laugh when you see that golden name you wanted so much still sat on a holding page 10 years later.

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  12. Mr D

12,521 1,332
    Buying something to sell for a profit is immoral?

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  13. Mr D

12,521 1,332
    In other news today we'll be looking at people who restore old cars for sale and will be speaking to people who have antique shops about their business model.

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  14. evhow90

27 3
    Please could I ask that I'm not quoted anymore I made a mistake to write in this thread and join the forum I'm sorry. I can't find a way to remove my post or account :( I'd really appricate without ant rudeness towards me and saracm please. I am just a young girl trying to start a small ethical business to do some good in the world x

15. AllUpHere

2,709 957
    You are over reacting. We just don't agree with the opinion you've expressed in this thread, that's all.

Welcome to the forum. Stick around, I'm sure you'll find us helpful.

16. evhow90

27 3
    Thanks I'd really like like to as I know I'd learn thing and have helpful advice. It wasn't really your comment, to be honest, it was the below ones that I felt were unnecessary. I'll be more careful what I write and hope I come accross some friendly people :)

17. AllUpHere

2,709 957
    No need to be careful what you write. Just write what you think. Some people will agree, some won't.

18. evhow90

27 3
    Your right, but unfortunately some people can be really rude about it, not really something I am used to, but I guess those people are attracted to forums and have thousands of posts. I've already found lots of really informative threads which is great though!

19. TheWebDesignCompany

TheWebDesignCompany UKBF Regular Full Member

105 4
    Why do they do it?
    Because they can and it is profitable for them.

Everyone hates it, but until there is some legislation that is enforced by the various governing bodies for domain registration it is going to continue.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: TheWebDesignCompany Member since: Mar 11, 2019
  20. I_DO_MARKETING

I_DO_MARKETING UKBF Regular Free Member

288 69
    The best I've ever managed is £10k for 1 domain and slightly less for its .uk counterpart

Sold many for £1k+ though. It's a fair market and as long as people aren't poaching domains or squatting unfairly then it's quite fair I think.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: I_DO_MARKETING Member since: Oct 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.