Business selling digital downloads

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Maz_l, May 7, 2019.

1. Maz_l

Maz_l UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Hi everyone, I thought I would post here to see if I can get some advice and other perspectives on my idea.

I want to sell sewing patterns ( designed by myself) as digital downloads / pdf format. I have already sold a few on Etsy and Ebay. Ebay has been very slow indeed! but I want to get more sales and grow it into a business.
    At the moment I only have 4 patterns done and I'm aware I need more products before I can create a credible looking online shop and presence. So in the next couple of months I am going to work on getting more patterns finished.

What I would like advice on is 1) eCommerce platforms. I did some research and the platforms I looked at only allowed sales of digital products on their higher priced monthly shop packages, the ones that allow you to sell 100s of products and have capabilities I don't really need as I will not have 100s of products. As far as I can see on Shopify, I would still need to sign up for additional services to automate digital downloads. I would be selling more like 20 different patterns in the first year. So should I just stick to ebay and Etsy for the first year?

2) Marketing. Of course, I need eyes on my products to get more sales. Some ideas I've had are ads/ photoshoots in vintage interest magazines / websites. ( My niche is vintage/retro fashion). Maybe tutorials on Youtube. Obviously, I will try and use social media but may get someone else to manage this as it's not my strong point. Potentially I can sell worldwide as there is no postage to deal with, I just need to reach my customers.

Does anyone have any advice?

Posted: May 7, 2019 By: Maz_l Member since: May 7, 2019
  2. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Regular Free Member

370 57
    Hi welcome, sounds like a very interesting concept. Out of interest how does it work downloading the patterns as most people will have A4 printers do you have to 'stick' all the relevant pages together to make up the complete pattern.

As far as websites go I am not an expert my son uses Shopify to run his clothing brand, Shopify seem to have all bass's covered. I am sure others will jump on here soon and give you some more detailed advice.

Tutorials have got to be a good idea I would also Add Instergram to your list of marketing tools.
    Great Idea best of luck with it

Posted: May 7, 2019 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  3. Maz_l

5 0
    Hi WaveJumper thanks for the welcome, yes it is A4 sheets that are stuck together, at least 1 of the big Pattern companies sell patterns like this and so do some independent designers.

I have started on instagram but I haven't much content to upload yet.

4. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Regular Free Member

370 57
    You can tell I am not a seamstress, think it's a great idea. Take pictures of work your doing, pattern making, close up of garments you may be working on, don't under estimate the interest these little 'snippets' can create.

Posted: May 7, 2019 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  5. Raw Rob

Raw Rob UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,115 233
    Are you sure about that? It looks like there is a free app you can use https://apps.shopify.com/digital-downloads

Posted: May 7, 2019 By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

13,721 1,505
    the sites the buyers use will have fees.

you can set up your own site but expect to pay plenty for marketing - more than fee costs -your site will be one of millions and finding it may be finding a needle in a storage silo.

social media and youtube may help you once you get some followers. or may not make a difference at all.
    there is a musical group who decided to use youtube for promoting their music shop - got lots of hits - they are good - but made no sales as a result.

Posted: May 7, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Maz_l

5 0
    Raw Rob

Not entirely sure but the free app seems not to be an instant download, it redirects to another page and many people say their customers have problems with it.

8. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,176 1,709
    Are you selling (planning to sell) Worldwide to consumers?

Posted: May 7, 2019 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  9. Maz_l

5 0
    Yes, I can't see any reason not to.

10. WebShopAssist

WebShopAssist UKBF Contributor Full Member

35 1
    Hi @Maz_l
    I can create a test Shopify store for you, free of charge, if you want to test the Digital Download app.
    Let me know

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: WebShopAssist Member since: Feb 25, 2019
  11. Maz_l

5 0
    Thanks for the offer!

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: Maz_l Member since: May 7, 2019