General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Best software for construction project management

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by downhill racer, Jan 6, 2020.

1. downhill racer

downhill racer UKBF Contributor Free Member

54 5
    We may be taking on a large construction project soon. The success of it and the likelihood of repeat business will depend on getting the work done on time, budget and to a high standard - not much pressure then!!

Currently we use a mish mash of spreadsheets, sage, timesheets etc.... to track projects but i am thinking it might be good idea to invent in project management software but i'm not 100% sure of the benefits of doing so.

Is anyone using software relating to construction projects and what do they think of it?

Thanks.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 By: downhill racer Member since: Feb 20, 2018
  2. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

664 136
    Have you looked at:

1. A custom web app?
    2. An ERP?

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  3. Stas Lawicki

Stas Lawicki UKBF Regular Free Member

175 54
    When you say imvent I think you mean invest?

How big is the project and what is your role? If your the PM youay want something entirely different to a main contractor or design consultant.

Are you going through all riba stages or post tender?

There are a number of free or low cost options: Wednesday : hubspot : asana : loads of others.

Google the most important features you need and do a comparison. Beware those offer £0 fee. Once you start adding features the price rockets per user... Hubspot being one of them!

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 By: Stas Lawicki Member since: Nov 14, 2017
  4. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

711 127
    Check out zoho one, they do project management and timekeeping apps that feed back nicely to book keeping.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  5. bodgitt&scarperLTD

bodgitt&scarperLTD UKBF Regular Full Member

273 100
    If your current system works and gives you results, then it would seem silly to switch just before a particularly important project.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 By: bodgitt&scarperLTD Member since: Nov 26, 2018
  6. Beyond

Beyond UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    When you say youay I think you mean you may?

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 By: Beyond Member since: Jun 6, 2018
  7. intheTRADE

intheTRADE UKBF Regular Free Member

278 79
    Nothing comes close to www.viewpoint.com

Its pricey but as always you get what you pay for. It does everything you need and more.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 By: intheTRADE Member since: Apr 14, 2019
  8. Stas Lawicki

175 54
    There go my fat fingers again... Why are phone keyboards so blooming small?!

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 By: Stas Lawicki Member since: Nov 14, 2017
  9. downhill racer

downhill racer UKBF Contributor Free Member

54 5
    A few software packages mentioned there so i'll spend a bit of time checking them out.

Anything up to a £1,000,000, which for us is large. It's labour only to begin with possiblly moving onto supply of materials as we build funds up. I'm (hopefully) moving into the PM role from my current role of office manager. We currently dont follow the riba stages.

We don't currently have a PM process that we follow, very ad hoc at the moment with a lot of finger crossing going on. This project might encourage us to adopt a more formalised approach.

As a follow on does anybody find employing a specific piece of software for project management helps them achieve project targets?

Many thanks.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 By: downhill racer Member since: Feb 20, 2018
  10. Stas Lawicki

175 54
    you may wish to ask the PM what they use and if you can be incorporated onto their system (if it allows/is appropriate). I know the founders at Fonn (https://fonn.io/en) if you wanted a referral? It sounds like you don't need anything overly complicated to begin with but with potential to expand later?

If you want that intro, PM me and I will put you in touch with their person over here. A lovely woman who I am sure can help.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 By: Stas Lawicki Member since: Nov 14, 2017
  11. JoeCM2

JoeCM2 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 0
    Only heard good things about Chalkstring

I was a director of a previous business where we invested 45k in a custom built app that site ops could use and management could see different elements... was a great idea but never got to fruition.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 By: JoeCM2 Member since: Dec 28, 2018
  12. gpietersz

664 136
    @JoeCM2 what went wrong with the custom built app? Incomplete, wrong functionality delivered, nothing ever delivered.

I am interested in why projects at that sort of scale (not costing millions, but not just a few thousand).

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  13. JoeCM2

JoeCM2 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 0
    It was never as we envisaged. We obviously had an idea in our heads on how we wanted it to work, but the amount of data input required on a thousand contracts was incredible, nevermind all historical data that needed to be on there. I dont want to say misold but misunderstood

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 By: JoeCM2 Member since: Dec 28, 2018
  14. gpietersz

664 136
    Thanks for the reply @JoeCM2 That is an interesting one that I have never seen data entry issues derail a project myself.

One way or another misunderstanding are a common problem: the client does not see something because they do not have experience of running software projects, and the developers do not see it because they do not understand the clients business (or business in general).

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  15. Faizan Shaikh

Faizan Shaikh UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    I can suggest you the top 5 best companies.
    1. Monday.com. Monday.com is the effective way to manage constructionprojects, time, and people.
    2. CoConstruct. CoConstruct is one of the highest rated custom builder and remodeler software.
    3. Corecon.
    4. Smartsheet.
    5. Buildertrend.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 By: Faizan Shaikh Member since: Jan 4, 2020
  16. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,267 2,297
    A few years ago now , but always found Microsoft Project Manager to be of great use and used by many other firms so you can plan things together, not free but a small proportional cost compared with most job awards and proven over many years

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  17. Josh Bonfield

Josh Bonfield UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    What sort of things do you need to track and manage?

Would the software be responsible for the business side of things such as invoicing or just tracking what needs to be done on what day and who needs to do it?

If you just want to track what needs to be done, you could use apps like Hive.com, Asana, Trello and Monday.com

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 By: Josh Bonfield Member since: Nov 13, 2019
  18. brianj_hill

brianj_hill UKBF Contributor Full Member

39 3
    It depends on what level of detail you need. I've been project managing for 30 years and have used everything from Powerpoint to MS Project and Primavera.
    The problem with going into too much detail is that you can spend all of your time replanning.
    What do you need out of it? Get in touch if you want some free advice.

Posted: Feb 10, 2020 By: brianj_hill Member since: May 29, 2010
  19. Sean Quinn

Sean Quinn UKBF Contributor Free Member

45 1
    If need to track time spent on jobs, I run a product called TimeKeeper. 14 day free trial - no credit card. Happy to help if you are interested.

www.timekeeper.co.uk

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 By: Sean Quinn Member since: Feb 28, 2018