Becoming a Locksmith or not?

Discussion in 'Wales' started by remepsi, Jun 9, 2009.

1. remepsi

remepsi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi,
    I am comming to the end of a 22year career in the Army and its now time to decide what to do in civie street. I am a Mechanic by trade however I feel like I need a change. Luckily for me the Army will retrain me and I was thinking about becoming a Locksmith.
    Planning to settle in the Swansea/Carmarthen area so wondering what the prospects are like in those areas and what sort of income I could expect to earn? Any help or advice would be great.

Cheers Paul

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 By: remepsi Member since: Jun 9, 2009
  2. JADEMEDIA

JADEMEDIA UKBF Newcomer Free Member

127 22
    I would go for it Paul. Those guys do well particularly if they put theirselves about. First stop the local crime prevention officers. 2 nd write to all the major insurance companies and get on the pproved list. Most people have to find £60 - £100 quid if they lose their purse or wallet and are locked out. If you don't mind waiting for cheque from the insurance for a week you are really in business - but make sure the claim has been approved first.

The other area you should make sure in your training is at electronic locks re both small safes and cars.

Good luck and stay safe . Jade

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 By: JADEMEDIA Member since: Jan 1, 2009
  3. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast UKBF Newcomer Free Member

67 6
    I would say, research very carefully!

Here's a fairly recent thread which has some useful info:

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=83439

There are other threads too if you search.

I looked into this a while back, and did a LOT of research into the area I was considering (Mid wales, further up above you ;). I also looked into franchises and decided they were definitely NOT worth the money.

Good luck, but be wary of splashing your cash on something that sounds too good to be true...

Cheers,
    Slarti.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 By: Slartibartfast Member since: Mar 5, 2009
  4. plotter

plotter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

84 34
    funnily enough i just had a locksmith out just to change a barrel, it took him 10mins and i got billed £40.00. So i suppose if you can get the work, you could earn a pretty penny, as with everything though its getting the work, i would try myself, even if it takes a year to get a decent amount of local work coming in. Im from crosshands by the way, in between swansea and carmarthen..

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 By: plotter Member since: Apr 24, 2009
  5. remepsi

remepsi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thanks for the advice on both sides. Still in two minds about giving it a go.However wondering what the best way to find out what the market is like in my area. Is there a website I could find out info such as how many locksmiths covering my area. Also does anyone know what sort of income I could expect to earn. Luckily enough I will have a pension which isn't enough to live on but it deffinately helps.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 By: remepsi Member since: Jun 9, 2009
  6. Williams lester

Williams lester UKBF Newcomer Full Member

2,251 343
    Have you tried looking on yell or google for locksmiths in a particular area....this should give you a fair starting point to see how many advertise in the local area.

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 By: Williams lester Member since: Oct 16, 2008
  7. plotter

plotter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

84 34
    two words mate

Yellow pages
    99% advertise in it

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 By: plotter Member since: Apr 24, 2009
  8. jim-locksmith

jim-locksmith UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    you can set an hourly rate to US $ 65 which should be more for holiday and Emergencies. you can set your own timing and earn as much as you wish

Posted: Jan 12, 2010 By: jim-locksmith Member since: Jan 12, 2010
  9. mdavy

mdavy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9 0
    the aa are offering a new role all over the uk and give you van equipment etc but... although there are plenty of locksmiths course and I am sure you cud do one on resettlement then they want experience
    so if you can get a paid job to gain exp or go it alone and maybe struggle it def is a good role
    the aa are paying something like 35k and more if you are willing to work and take on other jobs

good luck
    look on aa website

:)

Posted: Jan 12, 2010 By: mdavy Member since: Jan 12, 2010
  10. safetynut

safetynut UKBF Newcomer Free Member

147 22
    Posted: Jan 12, 2010 By: safetynut Member since: Aug 8, 2008
  11. danedwrds

danedwrds UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Is becoming a locksmith still a good idea? I've been looking around, I've even read some of the posts on this site and it seems as if the market is really saturated since there are more service providers that people who actually use the service of a locksmith.

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 By: danedwrds Member since: Oct 5, 2010
  12. firesafetyguru

firesafetyguru UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    National training courses do a two day intensive locksmith course at nationaltradecourses.com take a look

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 By: firesafetyguru Member since: Oct 13, 2010
  13. Geoff T

Geoff T UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,609 1,261
    look at networking for a regular income...

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 By: Geoff T Member since: Apr 30, 2009
  14. LAJLOCKSMITH

LAJLOCKSMITH UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 0
    First Of All Check All Types Of Ads In Your Targeted Area Including Papers And Local Mags,this Will Give You An Idea Of The Competition.
    You Could Even Phone One To Get An Idea Of Charges In The Area.
    Be Aware The Market Is Flooded So You Have To Be Willing To Spend On Advertising And Must Realize Work May Be Very Slow To Come In.
    Any Courses You Do Make Sure What Is Being Covered ,the Majority Of Household Doors Being Upvc The Opening And Replacement Of This Type Of Door Mechanism Would Be Very Helpful. Good Luck And Research As Much As Pos Before Committing :)

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 By: LAJLOCKSMITH Member since: Oct 9, 2010
  15. saxondale

saxondale Banned

3,742 612

how`s that work?

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 By: saxondale Member since: Jul 23, 2008
  16. Craig HelpTrainingCourses

Craig HelpTrainingCourses UKBF Newcomer Free Member

54 9
    Hi

We have a locksmith course advertised on our website www.helptrainingcourses.com

take a look I am sure if you contacted them they would give you some advise.

Cheers

Craig:)

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 By: Craig HelpTrainingCourses Member since: Aug 17, 2010
  17. lockhome12

lockhome12 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 3
    I would suggest visiting the Master Locksmiths Association, they will be able to advise you regarding the procedure for becoming an approved search locksmiths.co.uk/ .

Posted: Apr 1, 2014 By: lockhome12 Member since: Jan 19, 2012
  18. Billmccallum

Billmccallum UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,177 1,074
    Given the thread is from 2010, I think he may have found out what he needs by now. :)

Posted: Apr 1, 2014 By: Billmccallum Member since: Apr 20, 2010
  19. anthonyUK

anthonyUK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 3
    That's true :) But it's not a bad idea to talk about this topic again :)
    I want to say something about Keys4U locksmith team.

Keys 4U was fantastic! Came to my place and from the minute he arrived I knew he was a straight shooter. Changed my cylinders quickly and did a great job at a fair price. I would definitely use them again and recommend to my friends.

Posted: Jun 25, 2014 By: anthonyUK Member since: Jun 15, 2013
  20. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    I'm in the process of setting my business up and my view on it is if you apply yourself and target the market correctly it will be a success. The market is flooded at the moment but personal drive will be the key!

Posted: Jun 25, 2014 By: Andy Anderson Member since: Jun 18, 2014