General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Barber shop - staffing issues

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by samuel5, Jul 24, 2020.

1. samuel5

samuel5 UKBF Regular Full Member

264 17
    Hi all

I’m with my friend who owns two barber shops and has had two of his barbers leave this week and is really worried about his business as it’s gone very quiet.

I’ve told him not to worry as times are not normal.
    He wants to know the perfect formula for paying his barbers as paying them a set wage does not work.
    He is now offering them 50:50 but it is not working out well.

Any other barbers can give any advice please?

Sorry if this does not make much sense we have had a few pints! I cannot give him much advice in this sector!

Thanks

Sam

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010
  2. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,841 638
    Cannot help on any particular pay scheme, but he should be worried if he is quiet, in my area barbers are booked weeks ahead, stacked out. On the first day back after lockdown my small barber of three guys had a que outside of approx 15 clients waiting at 8am, the old boys didn’t realise they needed to book now, so most left unhappy.

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  3. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,647 1,718
    I’d suggest that talking with the barbers would be a great starting point

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

23,486 2,835
    Barbers gone quiet?
    Don't think I've seen a quiet one yet - weeks of backlog still to get through looking around.

Seriously, a set wage for employees does work. Perhaps the pay or the working conditions do not suit? Get into partnerships and things can get VERY messy quickly.

One option some end up doing is renting a chair out - disadvantage is the customers may follow the individual when they leave.

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. SFH0791

SFH0791 UKBF Contributor Free Member

73 3
    Tell him to register for Booksy.

My barber said he was very busy but now it is starting to go quiet.

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 By: SFH0791 Member since: Jun 23, 2020
  6. Opinion87

Opinion87 UKBF Regular Free Member

537 156
    I'll second or third some of the above. My barber has been slammed.

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 By: Opinion87 Member since: Jul 1, 2015
  7. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,685 2,429
    Were the two barbers who left the best barbers, who customers liked, and therefore the customers followed them to the new place of work

I thought all hairdressers hired out the seats rather than a fixed wage although 50/50 seems very expensive, but not in the trade so dont know the percentages, but a £10 haircut and I have to give you a £5 seems poor value

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  8. Bob Morgan

Bob Morgan UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

841 231
    'Barbers?' - How vulgar having to go to a shop and deal with 'Trade!' My Valet deals with my grooming on a daily basis!

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 By: Bob Morgan Member since: Apr 15, 2018
  9. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,088 311
    There are lots of places now where there is a saturation of barbers. My own barber is 'old school' and keeps relatively busy although he only works 4 days a week, mainly because of loyal clientele and the fact that he is a dying breed. Not everyone wants their cut by a surly hipster with zero people skills.

Elsewhere I notice some open from 6am or working 7 a week to make a living.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  10. Mr D

23,486 2,835
    Now that is an idea - cater to those finishing night shifts. Open at 6am so they can get a haircut then go home and shower.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  11. RobinBHM

RobinBHM UKBF Regular Free Member

381 121
    Some barbers opened at midnight the first day could open.

If it's quiet, is it not established?
    Maybe you need more marketing....try local Facebook groups, next door, do google my business etc etc.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 By: RobinBHM Member since: Apr 14, 2012
  12. MBE2017

1,841 638
    Not used my barber since lockdown, his shop on the main town road is the second oldest business that has been running continuously since starting over 60 years ago.

I bought some Wahl clippers on offer for £12, the wife is a trained hairdresser, so now I doubt I will be going back. I don’t like having to book, or wear a mask. Too busy to book and know when I will be free in a couple of weeks time.

My barber was a fair price at £9 per time, but he is now £10, most around my way want £15 a time.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  13. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,617 492
    Been paying £15 for years, but every time I go in for a hair cut, I hear "merry christmas".

£15 a year isn't that bad I guess.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  14. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,088 311
    Mine went from £11 to £12, I gave him £20. He's not had any income for 3 months whilst mine has increased, call it guilt money if you will.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  15. MBE2017

1,841 638
    Being a hippy, my hair grows so fast I get a haircut every 2/3 weeks, no signs of it slowing down, no thinning either. They should be paying myself really, since they can make a wig from my offcuts on each visit.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  16. ExoPaul

ExoPaul UKBF Contributor Free Member

82 31
    If your friend has TWO barber shops and they are both quiet and no bookings then something is seriously wrong as that is not normal when other places are booked out 1-3 months in advance.

I would think that the main focus of suspicion is the two barbers suddenly leaving after 3 months on lockdown. I would strongly doubt they decided to give up working when they will be desperate to get back and earn a wage. I would think either they have been poached by another barbers, or more likely, have decided to set up on their own and take the contacts to all your friends business along with them. While your friend has been sat with his shops shut for 3 months, I wouldn't be surprised if the two barbers were not moonlighting, cutting hair against lockdown rules to then set up their own business knowing that people will be desperate to get haircuts.

What your friend needs to do is:
    - Find new barbers.
    - Advertise heavily that they are open for business.
    - Consider turning one of the two barbers into a hairdresser and hire some hairdressers to capture both sexes.
    - Contact all old customers and invite them back for a 10% discount and drop leading questions as to why they have not been back since re-opening to see if they have gone elsewhere and where to? (Play sherlock).
    - Contact any hairdressing/barber colleges and try and recruit new staff. Offer them a start in the business.

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 By: ExoPaul Member since: May 26, 2018
  17. SillyBill

SillyBill UKBF Regular Free Member

210 98
    Not a business I'd like to be in once the initial stampede dies down. I doubt I will ever go to a barbers again. Doing my own buzz cut with a beard trimmer worked perfectly fine for me. 2-3 months later I am probably about a month away from needing to repeat the process. Not saying we're a huge demographic but if 2-5% of people now decide to cut their hair at home, either themselves or partners then that adds up over a year.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 By: SillyBill Member since: Dec 11, 2019
  18. Mr D

23,486 2,835
    A few will not care about look that much.
    Most appear to have requirements that need a professional to do it. Though a chunk of hairstyles can be done by family members without training.

Hair trimmer and do yourself with a couple of mirrors or do yourself and get someone else to just run it over areas that need it. Short and good for several months. Plus haircare is easy. :)

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  19. SillyBill

SillyBill UKBF Regular Free Member

210 98
    One of the beauties of working for yourself is the quality of ones haircut is not beholden to some clause in the Company handbook. I did mine at 1am in the morning after a bottle of wine with a beard trimmer running low on juice, extension cord had to get drafted in. Wife said it looked alright mind :p.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 By: SillyBill Member since: Dec 11, 2019
  20. Mr D

23,486 2,835
    Wife works for an external company, has me cut her hair every year. Hair trimmer, 10 minute job. No idea why she would have to pay someone else 50 quid for that.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017