General Business Forum Brought to you by Square

Annual Business Survey .. what a pain!

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Doodle-Noodle, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Doodle-Noodle

Doodle-Noodle UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,156 1,072
    :mad:I've just received from the Office for National Statistics an Annual Business Survey 2010 form for completion requiring 13 pages of information from me about my business.
    I've never come across this before - it's really detailed and going to be time consuming to complete, AND they're going to fine me if I don't complete and return it by 4th May:eek:.
    I could really do without this ... I've already got a mountain of paperwork to deal with and this is just another load of stuff to worry about which won't give my business any benefit whatsoever.
    Not really asking for advice as such as it obviously just has to be done so will have to grit my teeth and just bloody do it, but thought I'd just have a rant about it. Anyone else got one?

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 By: Doodle-Noodle Member since: Oct 11, 2008
  2. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

7,874 1,662
    I've never heard of this. Is it compulsory to fill it in? Is it distributed randomly?

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  3. Wendell Zuchs

Wendell Zuchs UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Well, as you said, it was compulsory to fill up those 13 pages survey papers. Though it's probably time consuming if you fill up all those papers. Just think positive that if you fill up those survey papers, it will come up an accurate survey for all business this year.

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 By: Wendell Zuchs Member since: Mar 1, 2011
  4. Doodle-Noodle

2,156 1,072
    I don't know - I assumed everyone on here would be familiar with it, that it was just me being thick who wasn't expecting it.
    It says "You are required by Law to complete this questionnaire" on the front and looks official enough however I've just Googled it and nothing has come up, visited the Office for National Statistics' website and searched for the survey and there are "no results" .........
    The form asks for details of total turnover, retail turnover, commodity breakdown of retail cover, expenditure, employment costs, energy costs, goods materials & servics costs, taxes, duties & levies paid, value of stock held, capital expenditure ...... I could go on and on, there's loads of info required and it's cmplex stuff that I will in all honesty really struggle to give without paying extra to the accountant to help me with it!
    I can't understand half the questions!
    I'm assuming this is a legit form .........

5. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

7,874 1,662
    I googled it too but it didn't give much info, only that it is to be completed by businesses registered for VAT/PAYE, but didn't say if everyone or just a sample. We've been registered for years but never received one.

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  6. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Full Member

11,642 4,030
    I had to do one, waste of time, didn't try too hard with the answers. Scribbled some rubbish and throw it back at 'em.

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  7. Doodle-Noodle

2,156 1,072
    Did they come round with "the Boys" to break your legs as penance for not taking them seriously or were they happy with what you sent back? I've been thinking I have to get everything 100% accurate if I want to avoid being sent to The Tower, but if I could rely on a bit of educated guessworking it would certainly make things much less stressful!
    If this form doesn't get sent out to every business, then perhaps the National Office for Statistic has secret lurkers on this forum that know my business has been suffering from "quiet days" and therefore thinks I have nothing better to do!!!!!

8. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,380 1,529
    Posted: Mar 3, 2011 By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  9. Doodle-Noodle

2,156 1,072
    Good point - what a waste of time and tax-payers money - they've even told me what colour pen to use!

10. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Full Member

11,642 4,030
    My thinking was, 'we all make mistakes'

What they gonna do about it?

What they gonna check it against, to know if it's right? If they could check it, why are they asking if they already have the info!

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  11. LicensedToTrade

LicensedToTrade UKBF Legend Free Member

6,330 2,143
    What UK Companies legislation did they quote that says you can be fined for not completing it?

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 By: LicensedToTrade Member since: Nov 7, 2009
  12. Doodle-Noodle

2,156 1,072
    Section 4 of the Statistics of Trade Act 1947 ........ see? Scary!!:eek:

13. LicensedToTrade

6,330 2,143
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  14. Doodle-Noodle

2,156 1,072
    Oh dear, it's serious stuff isnt it? Thanks for that info though - hadn't seen the previous thread ... it does tell me on the form that once I've completed and returned this form I will be excluded from further business surveys for the next 3 years though .... happy days

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  15. LicensedToTrade

6,330 2,143
    Lucky old you eh? :D