Adwords Placements

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Ashley Evans, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Ashley Evans

Ashley Evans UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 4
    I have an advert running on Adwords. I have specified several websites and videos where I want the advert to be shown through "Placements'

Before I specified the placements, Google decided where to put the adverts (on random relevant websites).

Now that I have specified my placements, will Google only show my adverts on my specified placements or will they show them on both the placements and on relevant websites of their choosing?

I hope the question makes sense.

Thank you

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 By: Ashley Evans Member since: Jul 7, 2016
  2. Lee Oakley

Lee Oakley UKBF Contributor Free Member

88 22
    Hi Ashley,

If you have added 'managed placements' to your ad group and left the default targeting setting, as “Target and bid” it means your ads will only show only on the websites (i.e. managed placements) that you have chosen.

'Automatic Placement' is when Google does the deciding for you.

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 By: Lee Oakley Member since: May 21, 2018
  3. Paulo1Chop

Paulo1Chop UKBF Contributor Free Member

89 9
    Why have you selected to go 'more specific' Ashley?

Have you let Google do its thing for long enough to give you a balanced view on the results?

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 By: Paulo1Chop Member since: Jul 12, 2019
  4. philipking2019

philipking2019 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 2
    Yes, as Lee said. You said you have several websites. If the traffic is good, I think you can let other ads company take care of it. The income will be increased.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 8:07 AM By: philipking2019 Member since: Jul 4, 2019
  5. Ashley Evans

Ashley Evans UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 4
    Thanks for your replies

I can't see an option for Automatic Targeting but I assume that is I remove my target placements then it will just default to showing ads wherever it sees fit.

I have a specific item that is very attractive to people looking on specific pages and videos. It suits specific targeting. For the first 6 days September, I let Google choose where they placed the advert. I had 34 clicks from a page that would never have lead to a sale. It cost me £6. That's why I decided to go specific.

However maybe I need to test more as you say. If I run my ads for a month or so and let Google do the choosing maybe it will get results? I have to remember to exclude irrelevant pages quickly though. Does this sound like a sound strategy?

Thank you

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 6:44 PM By: Ashley Evans Member since: Jul 7, 2016