A Question about Pallet Sizes

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Biohyt, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Biohyt

Biohyt UKBF Contributor Free Member

49 0
    Hello everyone

As you know, there are various types of pallets used when exporting items. My question is this: Do we have to use pallets with one of these standard sizes when exporting items?

Why I ask this question is because; pallet producers advertise that they produce random size pallets. So I wonder whether these pallets can be used when exporting items, even though the size of these pallets are different from that of EUR pallets for example...

Thank you

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: Biohyt Member since: Apr 25, 2018
  2. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Contributor Free Member

50 16
    Hi.

You can always use any size pallet you chose, however, non-standard (120 x 100 (UK Std pallet) or 120 x 80 (Euro pallet)) pallets will quite often incur a surcharge for haulage, as hauliers base their transport either on standard pallet spaces, or load metres (The length of truck it takes).

Depening on the method of transport used, I would always recommend using standard UK pallets, as that what we, as a country, are set up for.

If looking to export overseas, or purchase from overseas suppliers, it's worth considering the quality of pallet, and any treatments, as (For example), untreated pallets from Asia would mean the shipment would need to be fumigated or heat treated.

It's always best to ask your shipper/consignee about any local restrictions and recommendations based on their previous shipments.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  3. SillyBill

SillyBill UKBF Regular Free Member

262 141
    We export on 3 types of pallet excepting a 1200 x 1200 pallet which we use for some U.K business (too big to get in a shipping container side-by-side with another), never had any surcharges based on the below pallet types:

1140 x 1140 CP9/CP3 (pallet used commonly for the chemical sector)
    1200 x 1000 (UK pallet)
    1200 x 800 Euro Pallet

We select the pallet based on a customer preference or if they don't have one we will select the largest pallet available so we can maximise the stock per pallet and reduce transit cost.

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 By: SillyBill Member since: Dec 11, 2019
  4. Biohyt

Biohyt UKBF Contributor Free Member

49 0
    @Mike Foulds @SillyBill
    I really appreciate your answers. Very useful info. Thank you very much.

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 1:10 PM By: Biohyt Member since: Apr 25, 2018