1. Welcome to the new-look UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

Definition of "Mainland UK" please

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland' started by GVL, May 23, 2009.

1. GVL

GVL UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Does "Mainland UK" only include England, Scotland and Wales, or does it include Northern Ireland too (as NI is part of the UK)?
  2. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press UKBF Regular Full Member

Makes no sense. Mainland GB does however.
  3. Eagle

Eagle UKBF Regular Free Member

England, Scotland, Wales is the 'mainland' of the UK. :)
  4. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Regular Full Member

What about the Isle of Man, the Isle of Wight, the Isle of Lundy, ....? For sure, they are not part of Great Britain, because that's the name of an island within the British Isles. Does mainland equal Great Britain, or does it also include the islands off Great Britain (excluding Northern Ireland)?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Eagle

You have a point! I've also seen some companies saying they'll deliver anywhere in mainland UK except 'upper Highlands' or something. A bit unfair, me thinks.
  6. Minuteman Press

The UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - it does not naturally follow that the UK has a mainland.

Further, the Isle of Man is not part of GB or the UK.
  7. Eagle

I'm certain the Post Office would have it defined, as far as postage is concerned.
  8. GVL

GVL UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Thanks for replies so far folks!

The Post Office charge the same for anywhere in the UK, including Northern Ireland. It's the 'Mainland' aspect of it I'm trying to get the bottom of.
    Last edited: May 24, 2009
  9. deniser

deniser UKBF Regular Free Member

Mainland means anywhere you can get to from say London without having to cross water (which puts the price of any kind of postage/shipping/courier up).

So NI is excluded, as are all islands including Isle of Wight etc.

I've fallen foul of this before in the case of NI which costs a lot more to ship to by any method except the Royal Mail.
  10. Lasting Designs

Lasting Designs UKBF Regular Free Member

I can assure you that the Isle of Wight is part of the UK Mainland for the post-office. Its the non-subsidised couriers that don't count it as mainland uk. If you ship with say UBS or TNT, certainly with an independent there maybe a surcharge to normal posting fees. With Royal mail and Parcel force the charges remain the same as anywhere else in the country.
  11. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Regular Free Member

Yup its all the bits that are stuck together.

Alvin
  12. vendzone

vendzone UKBF Regular Free Member

Regardless of who ships where "mainland " UK is England ,Scotland and Wales
  13. Minuteman Press

14. bigmouth241

bigmouth241 UKBF Regular Free Member

Interesting thread! Been having quite a time with suppliers recently, wanting to charge £40 & up to deliver to NI - yet when I try their courier (DHL) I can get it next-day for £20 - hmmmm!!

Seriously considering sending my own couriers in to collect orders from GB Mainland suppliers (England, Scotland & Wales - as defined by Royal Snail)

Maybe we should all club together & start a consortium offering cheap courier rates to NI...
  15. SmilePrint

SmilePrint UKBF Regular Free Member

Understand the question as I've fallen foul of this often,

but once you get over yourself, there are deals to be had. What bugs me is the "FREE" delivery to the UK - which is obviously built into the price somewhere, but NI delivery is charged not as a fair reflection of the difference, but as a complete new charge!!

Today, I discovered I could get the same parcel moved from UK to NI for £16.50 rather than £22, if I used the local branch of that courier rather than my local branch??

Same van picking up, same van dropping off, but pay more if you buy it from one place not another?

Anyway, much will depend on the volume you're doing, or if you just have to pay it because its a one off.

Like everything in life, people pay different prices for most things based on different criteria,; cup of coffee at the roadside £0.50; cup of coffee at a premium franchise £4.75.

Isn't that life and business?

SO; do what you must do, get over it and get on with it!!

Regards
  16. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Regular Full Member

I don't mean to start a war here, but NI is part of UK. Shouldn't it be GB to NI?
  17. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

I collect a lot of my own parcels, using Citylink. If I collect, by ordering via local branch, it can be up to half the price of my suppliers sending the same parcel out.

NI has always had this problem, and if possible, it is normally cheaper for us to send the courier in to collect than for the mainland supplier to send it out.
  18. SmilePrint

SmilePrint UKBF Regular Free Member

You got me there on a technicality.

It shows that in the general consensus, when discussing UK and delivery, what is understood as Mainland UK is (most parts of) the island that comprises, England, Scotland and Wales. NI, Scottish Highlands, Channel Islands are the main exclusions to this.

Carriage is going to cost you more when shipping to or from there.

You can all come out of your bomb shelters now, the threat of war is removed.

Regards
  19. Russ Hagger

Russ Hagger UKBF Newcomer Free Member

My understanding of 'mainland' is that it is the principal land or largest part of a continent or country.

Therefore, the UK, or Ireland are not parts of 'mainland' Europe for instance, and Northern Ireland is not part of mainland UK
  20. Charles Thomas

Charles Thomas UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I agree with bigmouths idea, but my rationale is to avoid confusion where one business is paying £22 and another £16.50, Obviously , it would benefit all of NI to be paying the £16.50.

So how many would be willing to join together to help bridge what is the most expensive channel (per mile) in the world. I read somewhere it costs as much to send a case of wine from across the Irish Sea to here as it costs to ship from Chile to the largest geographical island in the British Isles.

Any takers for a co-operative?
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009