Five step strategy for student success with online learning Sep 19, 2018Views: 416
Students often sing praises of eLearning modules for a variety of reasons but the reason why they most prefer the virtual landscape of learning is the flexibility which it offers. With the constant hustle and bustle of this generation, it is not hard to guess why students prefer learning at their own convenience. While flexibility isn’t exactly the reason why every student prefers eLearning over conventional modes of learning, it has been widely accepted as the major blessing of online learning system. Needless to say, those who use the same system for procrastination or else, fail to grasp the essence of the learning modules, often end up dropping out of their respective courses at most times.
An online environment of self study can become engaging and useful only if the end learner has a capability to direct the stream of knowledge in his favour. For this, it is important to understand that with online learning, the level of responsibility is greater as compared to traditional learning. Charged with the ability to organise, motivate and lead with confidence, are the essential ingredients for successful online learning.
Can online students be made to learn how to self direct their approach?
Learning is a process which requires motivation, which should ideally arise from within. However, self direction is a quality which can be learnt and understood through specific behaviour. Through this knowledge, students can implement direction in online learning procedures and make the most of the opportunity available to them. Let us take a look at a five step strategy for students which is seen as a crucial component in the success of completing an online course.
Five step success strategy for online learning for students
This strategy is compiled after gathering data from real time online students and self experience as an online learner.
1. Make sure your read the syllabus: The syllabus of any course defines the boundary within which one is required to learn and understand a given topic. Hence, it can be defined as the blue print of the course of action that one has to undertake in a specific time period for a given course. “It is important to jot down the relevant dates of assignments and make yourself privy to every detail in the syllabus thoroughly”. Says Kristy Fox, Economics Expert with TFTH. She further adds – “This will help you remain alert to the scope of knowledge and due dates for submission of assignments”.
2. Plan your weekly schedule: In an online learning environment, you are required to manage studies, forum participation and assignment submission, all in one go. Hence, time management is a real skill set that one should practice when taking an online course. Make a plan and stick to it if you want to remain disciplined in your approach to studies. Sarah who herself was a student not too long ago and now runs Australian Assignment Help Review quips – “Planning your weekly schedule is perhaps the most important thing that any student should do. Not only it will help help you manage your studies better but also enjoy the activities happening around the college”
3. Log in at least thrice in a week: Make it a habit to log in to your course module at least three times in a week, even it be for the purpose of checking discussions or announcements. This will help you stay updated with the happenings at the course and ensure that you do not stay behind in any respect. This will also help you in inculcating a habit of discipline in your routine with regularity.
4. Get into a habit of asking questions: In order to make online learning a success, students need to ask questions via the medium provided to them. Otherwise, a teacher may not know where a student is facing a doubt. Be clear and crisp when putting up a question with your fellow teachers to make it count. “I have seen that a lot of students shy away from asking questions in an online format. There couldn’t be more detrimental step than this to learning.” – says Alisha from Online Assignment Writing, a study help website.
5. Make a network: Similar to a traditional learning environment, students should try to make connections with their fellow online batch mates. With all the social tools and resources available these days, it is quite easy to get in touch with people who are also engaging in the same course as you.
Although there is not one singular strategy that might work in case of all students but trying these tips can significantly help most students. As a learner, you decide the extent to the benefit which you get to derive from the learning experience.
You need to be logged in to comment