Email Marketing Stats 2020: The Numbers Email Marketers Need To Know Jun 11, 2020Views: 750
The use of modern communication methods such as Facebook, Instagram and chatbots, should not divert your attention from one of the most reliable and most effective communication channels – email. Do you actually know how powerful email marketing is?
“People can try to hack it, spam it or even slam it as old-school. But, overall, they can’t live without their email.” – EmailOut
In 2018, the average return on email spend was $38 for every $1 invested in the channel. By 2019, those stats have increased to $42 for every $1. Essentially, every time email marketers think the average ROI is high, it just goes higher. So, with an ROI ratio of 42:1, email has proven to be one of the most effective and powerful communication channels. Though, if you are still hesitant about its power, we’ve prepared a list of email marketing stats that will make evident how powerful email is.
In this article, we’ll cover the following email marketing stats every email marketer should know:
- General stats
- B2B stats
- B2C stats
- Mobile stats
Despite being around for decades, email marketing is ever-changing. So much so, email marketing stats change pretty much as quickly as Kim Kardashian changes her outfits.
For email marketers, keeping up-to-date with such stats is imperative as they have a huge impact not only on the marketing landscape but also on the way marketers develop, implement and conduct their email marketing strategy.
Now, let’s dig in into the email marketing stats we’ve compiled. They will most definitely help you figure out how to make the best of email marketing as well as how to achieve your goals in 2020 – and beyond.
General Email Marketing Stats
1) 56% of brands that adding emojis in subject lines have a greater open rate (Forbes, 2017)
2) 78% of marketers have witnessed a spike in email engagement in the past 12 months (HubSpot, 2020)
3) 35% of marketers send out 3 to 5 emails per week to their customers (HubSpot, 2020)
4) 45% of customers dislike it when a brand reaches out too often (Adobe, 2018)
5) on average, men open more emails than women (Disruptive Advertising, 2018)
6) the daily number of send and received email worldwide is expected to be 347.3 billion by 2023 (Statista, 2020)
7) consumers spend around 5+ hours a day checking emails – 3+ hours on work emails and 2+ hours on personal ones (Adobe, 2019)
8) 49.5% of marketers are planning to increase their email marketing budget (Litmus, 2019)
9) 61% of consumers prefer for brands to contact them via email (Statista, 2019)
10) 47% of recipients open emails based on the subject line alone (OptinMonster, 2020)
B2B Email Marketing Stats
11) 85% of B2B companies use email marketing software to assist with content marketing (Content Marketing Insitute, 2020)
12) 81% of B2B marketers use email newsletters as a tactic to distribute their content (Content Marketing Institute, 2020)
13) email engagement (90%) is the top metric B2B marketers track to measure content performance in the last 12 months (Content Marketing Insitute, 2020)
14) active email accounts are expected to reach 4.48 billion by 2024 (Statista, 2020)
15) 59% of B2B marketers state email is their most effective channel for revenue generation (Yahoo! Finance, 2020)
16) 64% of B2B marketers use email automation techniques (Marketing Charts, 2018)
B2C Email Marketing Stats
17) 59% of customers state that marketing emails influence their purchase decision-making (SaleCycle, 2020)
18) cart abandonment emails sent an hour after a client leaves your website boost conversions by 6.33% (SaleCycle, 2019)
19) 54% of SMBs send out cart abandonment emails (Emarsys, 2018)
20) 80% of B2C marketers use email to nurture their audiences (CMI, 2019)
21) B2C marketers who take advantage of marketing automation can witness conversion rates as high as 50% (Transaction Agency, 2018)
Mobile Email Marketing Stats
22) 42% of all email opens happen on mobile devices (Litmus, 2019)
23) Gmail and Apple iPhone are the most popular email clients with 38% and 30% of opens, respectively (Litmus, 2020)
24) 35% of professionals check their email on a mobile device (Convince & Convert, 2019)
25) approximately 1 in 5 email campaigns is not optimised for mobile devices (SuperOffice, 2020)
26) 42.3% of recipients delete emails if they are not optimised for mobile devices with 32.2% reading the email on their desktop later and only 11.3% will ready it despite the lack of mobile-optimisation (SaleCycle, 2020)
27) B2C emails get 47.8% more opens on mobile than B2B emails (DMA, 2018)
We’ve done it. We revealed our uber-nerdy side.
However, now we are wondering, did all these email marketing stats fascinate you as much as they did us? We certainly hope so. Will you actually find them useful? Undoubtedly. Are they going to be helpful to your email marketing strategy for 2020 and beyond? Without a question.
Regardless of how many new, revolutionary marketing channels spring-up, email is here to stay and, according to all the email marketing stats, it’s proven to be one of the most powerful and effective marketing channels. Ah, and let’s not forget that exceptionally outstanding ROI of 42:1.
This article was originally posted on 8 June and can be found here.
Open your Unlimited Sends one-month free trial today – after your first month with us you can switch to our FreeForever account giving you 12,500 sends to 2,500 contacts each and every month for free, forever. Corporate email marketing? Contact us.
You need to be logged in to comment