Cleaning a Patio with a Pressure Washer- Know How Feb 27, 2019Views: 78
Cleaning a patio using pressure water can give incredible results, least the cleaning is done effectively and skillfully. It is very natural for dirt, grime, slime, and debris to get collected on your patio with time and usage. Your patio may be made of concrete slabs, wood, bricks, and pavers. Irrespective of the materials used, the joints and other gorges in your patio can easily look its worst, attracting dirt, grime, and filth. A pressure washer is an effective and often the best way to clean your patio to recover the squeaky-clean look that you love to see. And the best part is, it is jolly-well possible. However, to achieve the nearly new-like look of your patio, it is imperative that you know how to do the same.
Cleaning a patio with a pressure washer is the safest way around, especially when it comes to maintaining the delicate flooring (if you happen to have one), preserving the natural shine and preventing harm to pets, kids, environment and whatsoever. With a pressure washer and proper technique, you can achieve the same cleanliness with or without a regular detergent and not any harsh chemicals or arsenals. Patio cleaning is a very important job in grounds maintenance services and is often bundled with other services like grass cutting and fertilizing, hedge trimming, paths, and car park marking etc.
Before you proceed, check you have got these essentials handy-
· Cat box or car litter filler
· Outdoor vacuum cleaner or broom
· Safety goggles
· Dust mask
· Pressure water detergent (in case you opt for)
· Water broom attachment for pressure washer (optional)
· Rotary turbo attachment for pressure washer (optional)
· Ensure the area is free from children and pets
· Mind the stream of water from the machine. It is powerful and can harm humans, animals and objects altogether.
· In case you’ve opted for chemical arsenals and detergents, ensure you wear safety gloves and goggles.
· It is highly recommended that you choose the pressure washer capacity as per your handling abilities. This is for the sake of preventing injury as well as achieving better cleaning at the same time.
If you don’t own a pressure blaster, you can opt to borrow one from a garden store or a specialty center. Here the steps that you’re supposed to ensure before you can get to the actual cleaning.
1. Get rid of any articles (like decorative) or furniture that is present on your patio. Ensure the surface is free from any objection. Now, using car litter (cat box filler), you’re supposed to soak up any oil, grease, spills or any liquid on your patio. The idea is to ensure a dry surface thoroughly. Once dried, clear the stuff.
2. Choose whether or not you are going to use any pressure water detergent to remove a stain from the patio. If you choose to use, ensure the detergent applies to the type of pressure water you are using (hot water or cold water pressure washer). If your pressure washer happens to have a detergent tray, you can use an injectable detergent. If not, you may opt for spray-bottle detergent in that case. You may apply the detergent directly on the patio floor or can pour into the pressure washer detergent chamber, depending on the type of washer you’re using. Should you pour the detergent directly on the patio surface, it is recommended to wait for ten minutes to allow the detergent to function before you spray with the pressure washer. And in case you pour the detergent into the detergent chamber of the washer, you may start the spray immediately.
3. Redirect the water stream from the pressure washer onto the patio at an angle. Using broad and circular motions, clean the entire patio back and forth in one direction and then on the other. In case you've got a humungous patio, you may opt for a water-broom attachment that sprays a more elaborate and broader (fan-like) stream of water from the pressure washer, making cleaning more comfortable and faster.
4. Once you’ve started spraying, direct the flow of water into the nooks and corners, gaps and crevices and cracks on the floor. The idea is to remove the more stubborn dirt with more emphasis on them. Using a rotary-turbo nozzle attachment, you can clean with a higher definition that essentially turns the regular pressure washer stream of water into finer and more powerful one. Although this is optional.
If you want to get rid of weeds
Weeds are often the first unwanted guests to pay a visit to your patio. Not only they look ugly but can be dangerous as they become slippery with time. Eager to teach them a good lesson? Using a path weed killer chemical, you can opt to get rid of the existing weeds and further prevent their return in the future. To pardon your back, choose of a long-handled wire brush to clean weeds between the joints of your patio flooring.
You need to be logged in to comment