Zero hours contract advice.

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Anthony Spencer, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    I've been working for an employment agency for a few months and it's a zero hours contract. I'm unsure about a few things and can't seem to get an answer.

If a zero hours contract is so businesses can employ people without obligation to offer hours of work, then is it still classed as a zero hours contact after both the hours have been offered and the employee has accepted the hours?
    My current agency texts the staff on a Friday as to the hours of work Monday-Friday of the following week. We have to confirm via text whether or not we accept the offered work. If the agency requires 40 people, they'll text and get confirmation from approximately 50 people. The first 40 who arrive are permitted to work whereas the remainder get sent away. The agency has recently started giving the staff who are turned away £10 as a "goodwill gesture". Knowing what i know of such a heartless, poorly coordinated, ruthless and back stabbing company i doubt they're into goodwill gestures. Is this illegal? Are they attempting to butter people up with the £10 in order to take attention away from the fact they're doing something wrong???
    Any feedback would be great but please bear in mind I need more facts than assumptions as I'll be taking answers as gospel and no doubt repeating it as if it where so.

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 By: Anthony Spencer Member since: Dec 15, 2016
  2. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Legend

4,711 1,269
    I'll be taking answers as gospel and no doubt repeating it as if it where so

Not a wise thing to do.

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  3. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Legend

2,068 447
    You need to provide much more info to allow anyone to make an informed judgement.

Is it an employment agency or business?

Do you have a contract of employment?

Do you have the Terms & Conditions of the Agency/Business?

Who turns people away, the Agency or the Employer?

Who pays the £10, the Agency or the Employer?

Rather than rely on a forum, you might want to take a look at https://www.gov.uk/employment-agencies-and-businesses

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  4. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    Did you even read my question?!

I've stated its an employment agency, zero hours contract, agency turns away, agency pays the £10

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 By: Anthony Spencer Member since: Dec 15, 2016
  5. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Legend

4,711 1,269
    Try not to bite the hand that feeds ;)

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  6. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Legend

2,068 447
    Try reading your own question, its certainly not clear, which is why I asked my questions, to clarify what was a disjointed posting.

An Agency would not normally pay people for not working, that would usually be the employer.

The link I offered gives clear guidance on what to expect and the duties of the company, so I was trying to help.

Your reply means I don't have to bother.

Posted: Dec 15, 2016 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.