Zero Hour Contracts

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by AndyP, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyP

AndyP UKBF Big Shot

835 174
    Hi

I've done a couple of searches but not really found anything that really tells me much. Is anyone here able to give me a quick overview on the realities of zero hour contracts? I need some flexible packing staff so my thought pattern is to create a small pool of people that I can call on as and when I need them....essentially it would be regular work but flexible hours and a bit up and down depending on season, general workload etc.... an acquaintance mentioned zero hour contracts hence the search....anyone any experience of this?

Thanks

Posted: May 8, 2013 By: AndyP Member since: Oct 11, 2008
  2. maxine

maxine UKBF Legend

6,061 1,968
    Yes I use these but they are not suitable as an alternative to regular contract hours and the reason for this is that you offer the work then the employee can accept or reject the offer with no obligation to take the work on.

If that's going to be important to you then don't go down the zhc route

Similarly there's no obligation on you either to offer work and it's purely an as and when basis.

There's a few links here ...

Acas - zero hours contracts

CAB - Zero Hours Contracts

Remember that all other employment stuff applies - minimum wage, holiday pay, insurance, payroll, etc.

They are great though and if you put effort into your recruitment process and are really clear about how it works you can find people who the arrangement would work well with.

The only difficulty I have had is ending the contract completely where either I end up not offering work for a long time or the person doesn't accept the offer of work for a long time.

Good luck

Posted: May 8, 2013 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
  3. Steve Sellers

Steve Sellers Verified Business ✔️

4,048 1,210
    An auto termination clause can deal with this problem. Excellent post though Maxine, you trying to put us employment lawyers/hr folk out of work! :p

Last edited: May 8, 2013
    Posted: May 8, 2013 By: Steve Sellers Member since: Aug 7, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.