Your tips to publish in newspapers

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Darren118, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Darren118

Darren118 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    Hi all,

Would love to hear your tips on do's and don'ts when contacting local/regional newspaper ad reps trying to get the lowest price or latespace price on advertorial without having to pay multiple inserts runs. I was reading some members have got upwards of 80% off of the rate card. I think a comprehensive list will help others who might be considering this approach in the future.

A list was provided before by a member which is massive on all regional newspapers in the UK. My target market is over 50s men or women.

Thanks

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 By: Darren118 Member since: Dec 2, 2017
  2. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

6,823 2,666
    Print is hurting and hurting badly, so you can squeeze some massive rebates out of them - but I would do my own research on whether the title in question really reaches my target demographic. Never believe anything in a press-pack! Do your own research!

That said, advertising across the board is failing. PPC, on-line banner ads, print, radio, the lot. There is just so much advertising everywhere, that the individual ad hardly gets noticed. The only type that still sort of works is blanket TV coverage - but only if it is catchy and hits home. Think - Meerkats and Irnbrew!

However, the over-50s watch far, far more TV than most, so again, the individual ad fails to make much impact.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  3. Highland Spring

Highland Spring UKBF Regular Full Member

130 10
    I've seen offers of paid placements going around for the £500-£600 mark and you would be surprised at some of names mentioned... Most of the major national or international newspapers. If you look carefully on their websites and in print you'll see some of these stories subtle but paid I am pretty certain now creeping in.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 By: Highland Spring Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  4. columbo

columbo UKBF Regular Free Member

324 71
    Dailymail.co.uk web version - many examples of advertorials on an almost daily basis.

Do be warned though most newspapers will try sell you a traditional advert first so be resolute from the outset you don't want one...

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 By: columbo Member since: Jan 27, 2013
  5. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

6,659 1,463
    I wouldn't go for advertorials they aren't terrible effective. I would go for an ad with a strong call to action and which clearer outlines why people should buy your 'whatsit'.

If your market is over 50's depending on your exact demographic why not look at Saga, Gransnet etc and other on and offline media aimed at this age group.

It's not about just looking what's cheapest, but what is the best use of your spend.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  6. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

912 132
    We are not only just publishing, but first try to understand your over 50s target men and women's behavior for you to create an call to action ad. Don't just consider the lowest price but the attribute itself. Study your target's activeness in weekdays and weekends to be specific.

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  7. Highland Spring

Highland Spring UKBF Regular Full Member

130 10
    Another factor journalists like to be lazy, so if you can write an interesting piece of copy and send it them suggesting they use if (in exchange for promoting you) there is a chance they will.

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 By: Highland Spring Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  8. ethical PR

6,659 1,463
    That's rather a generalisation. That might work for a local free paper. But extremely unlikely it would work for a national newspaper, TV or radio station.

Journalists being lazy is one of those urban myths. Much more likely to be the case there have been massive cuts back in a news room, they have a large patch to cover and tight deadlines.

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  9. Nat Chu

Nat Chu UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    There is a great book by Janet Murray "Your press release is breaking my heart" with heaps of very useful tips on how to approach editors and local newspapers. Definitely worth a read.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: Nat Chu Member since: Nov 26, 2017
  10. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,608 245
    Interesting clear angle. Exclusive. Newsworthy. Relevant for other stories being run. Sent to the correct editor. Quality appropriate pics. Follow-up.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: Minuteman Press Member since: Dec 8, 2007
  11. ethical PR

6,659 1,463

The OP wanted to take out advertising, he wasn't looking for editorial coverage Peter.

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  12. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,608 245
    The OP was interested in advertorial. By providing quality content that can be built upon the negotiating position improves. The advertorial becomes more interesting for the publications audience. That's my tip for gaining advertorial. Go for it and save money on agencies!

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 By: Minuteman Press Member since: Dec 8, 2007
  13. ethical PR

6,659 1,463
    I appreciate that Peter.
    My professional opinion (as a former journalist and someone who does media buying as part of my day job) is that if you are advertising you are much better taking out an ad rather than an advertorial. We have done split testing on this and the ad gives a much better ROI.
    Ads are a better mechanism for getting across the benefits of your product or service, a special offer/discount/promotion and having clear calls to action.
    If you have a strong news story, feature or opinion piece or other editorial content, you can pitch it to the editorial team at the media you are targeting.

Posted: Feb 11, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009