Your opinion needed - Pay-What-You-Feel Websites and Start-up growth plans

Discussion in 'Market Research' started by My Marketing Solved, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,012 1,661
    Not exactly but ...

But you can look at the WordPress plugin market - the original concept was 'donations' i.e. pay as you like, but many surveys of plugin developers show that the number of donations is minimal, averaging at 8 donations and $50 cash. Take the average development effort in a plugin, and that works out at a developer rate of $0.01 per hour....

The whole Wordpress market is moving rapidly away from free / donations to either 'premium' ( e.g. codecanyon ) or 'freemium' where the free offering has a paid for offerng that extends the features. ( The abandonment rate by the developers of free only plugins averages 18 months )

So at least for the 70+ million WordPress sites, the pay what you like experiment has failed.

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  2. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

6,849 1,494
    Thanks @Alan but the OP is talking about providing marketing agencies services on a pay what you think we're worth basis. Not a bit of software. And as you say that didn't work either :)

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,286 8,628
    But back to the proposed business model. The only way it can work is if it's automated to the max. For example: wordpress is installed and configured, a theme installed and configured and a set of dummy pages set up. The whole process done with a single click. All the client needs to do is provide the content and the job's done. As soon as you start faffing about with themes like Divi and doing discovery things the profit will disappear in a puff.

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. fisicx

29,286 8,628
    Just did a bit of testing. If you take up any of the offers you end up on a US site and £85 becomes $121. A check on the exchange rate suggests it should be $110. So not only are you overcharging but I'm going to end up with foreign currency fee thing.

And it won't let me pay what I feel, I have to pay at least £85. So the whole site is a lie

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. My Marketing Solved

My Marketing Solved UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 1
    OK, so I think we should be onto something if we can just change the font choices, the copy across the entire site, the design and layout, the WordPress theme, the Optin forms, the payment provider, the products and services, sack the copywriter and tell the web developer to take his 48,000 server calls and sling his hook...oh...and change the entire business model. I need to free up some time and get some strong coffee in. Java perhaps.

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 By: My Marketing Solved Member since: Aug 27, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. fisicx

29,286 8,628
    Simplify everything. Bin Divi and use a theme without all the bling and animations and everything and focus on the core services: marketing. Provide good examples of what you do, for example how you helped X with Y and they saw a Z% increase in sales. If you can show a positive ROI over a sustained period of time people will pay.

I wouldn't bother with the web design thing - you can upsell this to people once you have a contract to do their marketing (I do this and it's very lucrative).

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. Haunted Worlds

Haunted Worlds UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,510 1,223
    All of the above = quit and start again.

;)

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 By: Haunted Worlds Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  8. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,791 440
    Yes that is about it, except the bit about the coffee.

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011