Your opinion needed - Pay-What-You-Feel Websites and Start-up growth plans

Discussion in 'Market Research' started by My Marketing Solved, Aug 28, 2017.

1. My Marketing Solved

My Marketing Solved UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hello all, we have just launched an experimental Pay-What-You-Feel business model for our start-up/small business growth plans and websites. We would be immensely grateful for any feedback you can provide on whether this is something that will have large appeal in the market. You can view the offers at My Marketing Solved.com

Huge thanks in advance.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 By: My Marketing Solved Member since: Aug 27, 2017
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

The website loaded up and got a portion of the way down the page and got asked to sign up, full screen. Very annoying and the site is hard to move down the page in lower part. Way too busy and that light blue wording is harder to read than black is. Comes across as very much 'American'.

There may be something on the site that would be useful, way too much to trawl through to find it though.
    Sorry, from what little I can see it doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps more useful to others.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

I didn't like the site at all. All those animations may appeal to some but they get in the way of the actual content - of which there was very little.

I can't even work out what you are offering - there is lots of marketing fluff but almost zero useful content. For example:

"Social media is quickly becoming the best way to generate new business, while more traditional advertising mediums are dropping off."

The evidence is the opposite is true. Traditional advertising is on the rise again and many organisations are cutting back on their social media activities.

And it says you use Divi for your websites. Yuk Yuk Yuk. It's popular but outdated because it's full of the sort of junk Google is warning you not to use (which is why you only score 46/100). And it's poorly responsive as you can see if your look at your site on a phone.

And it's not a pay-what-you-feel model and you have a starting price for everything. I feel like paying you £10 for a website.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

My marketing solved is an ironic name for a business who quite desperately need to solve many issues with their marketing. The website is very amateurish, and shows a lack of both ability and understanding needed to market such a business.

In my opinion, the business model is flawed anyway. Potential clients will see straight through the waffle and realise that you just can't sell your services for a decent price.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  5. fisicx

Homepage is 30Mb!

It's says: "Oh yes…and you name the price." So I'd like a full ecommerce site for £10 please.

6. My Marketing Solved

Many thanks for the messages so far. Looks like we have some changes to make and, while not easy to digest over breakfast, your feedback is really appreciated :)

The site speed is something I will talk to our Wordpress developer about. I keep getting a different size when I test it on different tools. (What tool are you using?).

It may be obvious, but for clarity - the website is not a full time business as we work in marketing roles elsewhere. It is being developed as a way we can use our skills to earn a little extra income whilst being as valuable to as many small businesses as we can.

Of course we could charge more for our services but it would be a, harder, more time consuming sales process and we wouldn't get to work with as many businesses and industries, and that's where the passion lies.

I love small business marketing and would do it for free each day if finances allowed, however nappies and Lego (the main costs in our household) don't pay for themselves...

Many thanks again for the constructive feedback

7. Peter Bowen

Peter Bowen UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

Brilliant!

Onto the pricing model. The "pay what you like" pricing model is so seldom used that it introduces uncertainty and doubt. That reduces the chances of a sale.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Posted: Aug 28, 2017 By: Peter Bowen Member since: Jul 2, 2007
  8. My Marketing Solved

Many thanks Peter, there are some good case studies showing it being used successfully but you make a good point. I guess people will often assign little value to something that is priced low.

9. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

If something is worth what I pay then will use them in the future and recommend to others. As a business I must look at the bottom line for my shareholders.
    What I feel and what the business feels are not necessarily the same.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  10. fisicx

It's not just the speed. The whole site needs sorting. But website reviews at only for full members. I used google insights and pingdom. Pingdom says there are 160 server calls!. That's jawdroppingly huge. And Divi is the cause along with all the caggage the developer has bolted on instead of doing the job properly. Just look at your site on your phone and you will see how bad Divi really is.

11. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

The text is patronising, and full of bland generalisations that are just annoying. It is written as if someone is trying to get an 18 year student to join their "Real Ale Soc." on fresher's day at a university! Please rethink this as prospective business people want to be taken seriously and not treated in this way.

The site looks modern and current, but here are a few recommendations:

The constant change from bold to regular text is off-putting and makes the site difficult to read.
    The logo is too cluttered and uses too many fonts for it to have impact.
    You have statements in quotation marks but do not cite the sources. Cite the sources or just leave out the statements.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  12. fisicx

I've been looking deeper at the website service. The problem (always) with type of deal is the amount of time you will spend managing the client. They rarely know what they want and will struggle to complete your brief. So will spend hours on Skype or the phone getting images, logos, words, contact details, testimonials and all the other stuff you need.

13. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd UKBF Regular Free Member

Isnt "Pay what ya loik" more of a marketing tool for new products?

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  14. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Legend Free Member

I've been considering a PWYF model for Share My Office but that's a very different type of service. My concern with yours, although I admire your belief this could work, is it's confusing. On the same page you're telling me I PWYF you're telling me "websites from as little as £285." This makes me think, don't make me think :)

d

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  15. Darren C

Darren C Guest

I expected something a bit clearer along the lines of 'This is the service' and this is 'the pay what you like' thing.

What I got was a bit of that and load of other stuff too, which was a bit confusing. Nonetheless, getting back to your question...

Maybe a business marketing service is too resource intensive for such an offer to work since you'll be attracting mostly people who don't have the budget to pay you much even if they wanted to?

Obviously the problems with your site regarding the bloat and confusing messages will be relatively simple to fix; I think the fundamental problem is that your approach to getting clients is just not going to be sustainable?

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 By: Darren C Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  16. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

As a free member - isn't this dangerously close to a website review?

Anyway - Pay What you Like and £285 on the same page is inconsistent and will kill you.

Basically you are asking people to offer you less than £285 for a WordPress website.

In reality, a decently designed WordPress website should be worth between £1,000 & £3,000 ( assuming it isn't highly functional ) ( OK a few people will be going 'what'? I can build a WordPress website in 15 minutes - but as @fisicx says, it is the hand holding & too-ing and fro-ing that adds the value / cost ). If you charge less you will be out of business pretty quickly.

I think you should be setting expectations, e.g. our average client values our websites to their business at £1,750, 10%of out clients value the website we built at more than £3,000 - but you can offer what you feel ...

b.t.w I see you off load hosting / maintenance / backups to recommended companies, as my business does this solely for WP, please do not hestitate to PM me if you want to add me to your recommended lists

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  17. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

It is a request for a website review. I did not check whether OP is a free member or not before posting.

Perhaps the OP should take a leaf out of his/her own book and pay what they feel to UKBF!

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  18. fisicx

I've moved the thread to market research so people can comment on the idea but not review the actual site.

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  19. HazelC

HazelC UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

I am with others on this one - pay what you want is a risky move as there is no guarantee, people could pay just £10.

However your site / business is not pay what you want, instead you have given a minimum price?

If you want to state a guaranteed limit then do that - but don't class it as a 'pay what you want' business.

Good Luck whatever you decide :)

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 By: HazelC Member since: Sep 7, 2013
  20. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

Can you link to marketing/PR/digital agencies that show this model being used successfully?

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009