Your most counter-intuitive sales or marketing advice?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by columbo, Aug 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. columbo

columbo UKBF Regular Free Member

332 72
    What is the one piece of sales or marketing advice that sounds strange but actually produces good results for you?

Mine is: A complete ban on new customers who contact me out-of-hours i.e outside Mon-Fri 9-6pm. Anybody who has called me outside those hours has been trouble. Sounds like a gross generalisation but it's true.

Complete ban on bank-holiday callers. Again some of the most troublesome customers I've ever experienced have called me on some sleepy bank holiday weekend. (btw, I own an IT services company)

So what is your most counter-intuitive sales or marketing advice?

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 By: columbo Member since: Jan 27, 2013
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,076 1,116
    I find telling clients that it doesn't matter what they do, as long as its the complete opposite of what their competition is doing, gets some strange looks initially.

People are very used to being told to find out what the competition is doing that's working, and then do the same thing. Being told to do the complete opposite is counter intuitive.

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,076 1,116
    Another popular topic that generates some confused looks is telling clients how to get rid of customers, and how to discourage potential clients from contacting them.

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  4. columbo

columbo UKBF Regular Free Member

332 72
    Two excellent points.

I've often asked SMB owners "why are you doing X a that way?" Answer: "Because Competition Ltd up the road does it that way". I mean WTF? I mean of all the firms in the all the world they copy that one that is 5 miles up the road....

And yes, I am never ceased to be shocked when I say to a business owner. "Who is your customer base?" . Answer: "Everyone"...Facepalm. Not even Fortune 500 companies have the resources to cater to everyone.

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 By: columbo Member since: Jan 27, 2013
  5. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,301 1,741
    Is that counter intuitive? I thought it was obvious people contacting you out of hours are consumers, amatuers, hobbiest, not businesses ( even if they think they are businesses ) and have unrealistic expectations. Red Flag.

If we are doing the blindly obvious (counter-intuitive) increase your prices = more profit & less work

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  6. Mike_Cartwright

Mike_Cartwright UKBF Regular Free Member

155 16
    In sales? Be patient. Take time.

Most people say that salespeople should be persistent. I disagree. Persistence is good, yes, but it has its limits. Too much persistence can make people run away.

Sales is all about the timing. If you are patient and you understand when is the right time to move forward, then you'll win more deals.

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 By: Mike_Cartwright Member since: May 7, 2017
  7. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,512 1,711
    I don't pick up the phone and I don't have an answerphone.

If someone wants to speak with me, they need to book an appointment by email first.

That seems to work well in my case to weed out the "lower quality" callers.

Bonus: It really frustrates cold callers. They call and call and call and call ... :)

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.