Young person work

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Drop the frog, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drop the frog

Drop the frog UKBF Newcomer

9 0
    Hi all

I have a 17 year old that only normally works 4 hours on a Saturday but she is working with me tomorrow morning from 5am to 9am, she goes to college part time but not tomorrow.

My question is is it classed as night work? Can she legally do it?

Thanks in advance

Posted: Mar 27, 2013 By: Drop the frog Member since: Mar 7, 2013
  2. StevensOnln1

StevensOnln1 UKBF Legend

3,468 752
    I didn't think there were any restrictions on the times or number of hours anyone over school leaving age could work.

Posted: Mar 27, 2013 By: StevensOnln1 Member since: Dec 10, 2011
  3. OpenSomeHours

OpenSomeHours UKBF Newcomer

12 3
    I think it's more the amount of hours rather than what hours they work. I just know that you must be over 16 to do full 40 hour weeks.

Posted: Mar 27, 2013 By: OpenSomeHours Member since: Mar 27, 2013
  4. Employment Law Clinic

Employment Law Clinic Verified Business ✔️

3,363 1,593
    There are restrictions on the hours young people (under 18) can work, and this includes working before 6am - any earlier is classified as night work, which starts at 10pm (unless the contract provides for working after this, when the periods respectively are 11pm & 7am).

This is known as the "restricted period", and Regulation 6A of the Working Time Regulations require employers to ensure that no young worker works during the restricted period.

Gov.uk, with its usual high standards, mentions that children can't work between 7am & 7pm, but fails to explain that doesn't apply to 16/17 year olds (I believe this applies to some 15 year olds too, where they're over compulsory school age).

HSE are a little more helpful, and Citizens Advice provides more help.

Karl Limpert

Posted: Mar 31, 2013 By: Employment Law Clinic Member since: Aug 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.