Yell.com or Yell.conned?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Jude, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jude

Jude UKBF Newcomer

16 0
    Hi,

In a very silly move I was convinced to advertise with Yell.com. I actually fell for the 'Guaranteed' increase in business. They did guarantee it after all, that was the reason I signed up! I reckoned that one decent contract via the advert would go a long way in paying the fees.

You guessed it - nil hits, 0 business, absolute waste of money!

I was guaranteed an increase by a sales person, yet their customer service say they cannot give guarantees. In my book that reeks of miss sales and deception, but I signed the contract.

I could have a Tourette moment about being conned, that's what it amounts to. Stupid thing is I am a web designer, should have known better, but they were so convincing.

However, if anyone else has been 'guaranteed' more business and finds themselves in the same leaky boat then we may be able to do something about it. Strength in numbers? If it can be proved that their agents are making false guarantees then they need to be dealt with.

Their logo -

The book, the web, the phone
    Whatever you want, just Yell

Well I am starting to Yell, just not at them, yet!

Yell.com - If it sounds too good to be true (in this case) believe that it isn't - True!

On a better note - Happy New Year

Jude

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: Jude Member since: Dec 31, 2007
  2. estwig

estwig Contributor

12,616 4,527
    Happy New Year Jude.

Don't beat yourself up about it, don't make the same mistake twice, move forward.

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  3. Steve2507

Steve2507 Contributor

1,554 222
    Sorry to hear about your problems with Yell.

Still at least you have given a warning to others.

With regards to any marketing I have always gone by the mantra that if someone mentions a guarantee about increase in sales I walk away.

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: Steve2507 Member since: Jun 9, 2006
  4. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks Contributor

2,534 425
    I think there have probably been more complaints about Yell.com on this forum than any other company - there are numerous threads about them.
    Barrie

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  5. telemax

telemax Contributor

3,295 732
    Did it say anything about gaurantees in the small print?

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: telemax Member since: Feb 14, 2006
  6. Steve2507

Steve2507 Contributor

1,554 222
    I'd be surprised and (speaking as someone who was trained in financial sales) sales people often don't mention any guarantees, what they do is make it sound as if they are offering a guarantee.

Unfortunately it's very clever, as the customer/sucker may even quote the sales person afterwards and change the words to include a guarantee/promise and they will never realise that a guarantee/promise was never actually made.

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: Steve2507 Member since: Jun 9, 2006
  7. Richie N

Richie N Contributor

4,037 486
    There are never any guarantees with advertising......

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  8. RayB

RayB Contributor

6,379 242
    Yell.com is a waste of space/bandwidth/money - search the threads here for more...

Welcome to the Forum and Happy New Year BTW :)

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: RayB Member since: Nov 12, 2006
  9. Jude

Jude UKBF Newcomer

16 0
    No guarantee in the small print. I do have a string of email I kept though and the sales agent put a different agents name to the confirmation letter, so got some evidence.

Guys, thanks for your replies - almost time to go and party and lesson learned for 2007 - Avoid Yell.com!

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: Jude Member since: Dec 31, 2007
  10. Speedymail

Speedymail Contributor

156 18

True. First lesson ive learnt in sales is to never guarantee ANYTHING explicitly unless I know for 100% I PERSONALLY CAN DO IT. Sounds cheesy but customers have long and imaginative imaginations when things don't go quite their way from a product or service. That's not to say of course that salesmen/women won't say that to seal a deal, and it's a lot easier to do that if its not face to face or heavily regulated as im assuming advertising sales isnt.

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: Speedymail Member since: Dec 28, 2007
  11. Matt1959

Matt1959 Contributor

6,295 1,226
    good old Yell ******** - whenever anyone guarentees advertising, I ask how? then listen to how they can't. How much did you pay them?

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: Matt1959 Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  12. Cartel

Cartel Banned

82 6
    Ditto and Ditto!

Yell.com had high hopes of being "the" British search engine and while the figures proved it wrong, the sales team have not been told...so they keep the same old pitch. So the private equity firm (Hanson Doughty I believe?) Who took over the Yellow Pages, spouts the same crap year on year, somehow oblivious that the truth is far removed from their pitch!

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 By: Cartel Member since: Dec 30, 2007
  13. Jude

Jude UKBF Newcomer

16 0
    £59 per month since August, 12 month contract, but not any more. Contract or not I am canceling the Direct Debit.

Is there such a beast as an Advertising Ombudsman?

Oftel for telephone sales and Trading Standards for miss-selling?

Jude - starting 2008 fighting fit!

Posted: Jan 1, 2008 By: Jude Member since: Dec 31, 2007
  14. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice Contributor

10,912 3,530
    I guarantee some of my marketing services.

I don't guarantee results, but where it's appropriate, I put my fee where my mouth is.

(i.e. if my customer doesn't profit, I refund my fee)

What's wrong with that?

Steve

Posted: Jan 1, 2008 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  15. Matt1959

Matt1959 Contributor

6,295 1,226
    Jude, I just had a look at your Yell.com listing etc. Interestingly, you are located on the Isle of Lewis and if you key in web design/ Isle of Lewis, you have a premium listing on Yell with a link to your website. Theres only 5 or 6 other web design businesses on the page and none of those have a web link - so you have your area on Yell.com completely sewn up. It seems unbelievable to me that you havnt had one click on your site from this listing given the competition and your remote location.

This really is an example of how bad Yell.com is surely or have I missed something.

Mind you I guess the population must be tiny, perhaps thats the problem?

You sure your getting NO hits at all from Yell?

Posted: Jan 1, 2008 By: Matt1959 Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  16. PI Guy

PI Guy Contributor

2,489 191
    When I had a enhanced listing with yell i got zero from it too.

Posted: Jan 1, 2008 By: PI Guy Member since: Jun 20, 2006
  17. Jude

Jude UKBF Newcomer

16 0
    Believe it - Stats for November. See for yourself

Category: Internet Web Design & Development
    Priority Advert: Local views - 131 National views 226
    My own stats from Yell - Click through = 1

I use Google Analytics and have a good handle on the traffic through my site. Yell.com haven't featured in these stats yet. Lots of free directories have, including freeindex, whom I cursed for masses of junk calling, but at least it was a response and I did get work via the site.

Although based in the Isles, I do have clients throughout the UK and I'm on contract to a large blue chip company for consultancy work. I also use an outsource company based on the Scottish mainland for extra projects.

Posted: Jan 1, 2008 By: Jude Member since: Dec 31, 2007
  18. APTBLINDS

APTBLINDS UKBF Newcomer

40 4
    I too was guarenteed by yell.com sales man, plus talking pages sales woman, plus yellow pages sales woman

ever noticed the advert board - on average every £1 you spend generates £25

talking pages said they had x amount of people ringing up for blinds every month and no one to to pass the calls to in the area - i signed up to 18 months contract in three areas- guess what - 17 months later the stats are only 3 people called to phone for blinds and didnt phone me.
    sales call was over the phone (and she said was recorded- i complained and asked for recording - of which they said they had lost the recording...

yell.com went for top listings in two areas - showed me stats of people looking at blinds in yell.com and "PROVEN" that 80 customers a month minimum look at blinds on the sponcered listings - i have had approx 10 jobs in a year

direct debit is around £500 month and they said its my advert - and should have gone bigger - what a poor excuse.

pound for pound thompsons is better & cheaper - yellow pages produces time wasters as well!!!

i have asked many businesses at network meetings and business clubs and they all say the same - i cant wait to tell them that i'm not renewing...

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 By: APTBLINDS Member since: Jan 3, 2008
  19. Comspec

Comspec Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

7,118 1,483
    Agree with this 100%. I have advertised with them this year, but will just not be continuing it once it completes the year.

I pay £150 per month for nowt in my opinion. Not much, but it would cover my rent.

(oh and also the happy new year bit :) )

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  20. taggingsupplies

taggingsupplies Contributor

252 6
    Yell called me today, and asked do i want to advertise i said i cant afford it they were saying around £60 a month i was like no chance.
    Anyway if ANYONE Ever calls you telling you about any service product, they are not doing it for free, they need to make there wages, its all a sales call.
    A bit like a car saying it will do 160mph but thats only if you drop it from a height of 30,000 feet from concorde.

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 By: taggingsupplies Member since: Dec 15, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.