Yahoo email

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by tony84, Sep 20, 2020.

1. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,805 1,071
    Does anyone use this?
    Is it good/bad/indifferent?

1,000 gb space for free?! It seems you can also use your own domain name emails with it.

I currently do that with gmail (not gsuite) and we get 15gb space which is plenty but I am about 60% into now so I suppose just forward planning.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  2. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,226 1,805
    Yes but they were taken over by BT so it is now a bt email.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  3. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,573 391
    I think you are confusing it with something else. Yahoo were taken over by Verizon but Yahoo Mail is much the same as before

I have a yahoo email address, as does my wife. I do not really use mine, she does use hers.

I would say "indifferent" - nothing wrong with it, but nothing particularly great about it.

My main email addresses are self hosted: 15 mins with Mail In a Box to set up, a few mins a week to admin it at most, and tens of gigs of storage and unlimited domains and email addresses on a fiver a month VPS.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  4. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

16,477 3,486
    Yes I have a BT email address and Yahoo was integrated into their system at one point. They seem to have parted company again in 2014.

https://home.bt.com/pages/email/index2.html

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  5. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,173 324
    As far as I can tell you need a paid plan to use a custom domain? If so the pricing is not very transparent, they label the cost for one mailbox as being "As low as $3.19 per mailbox, per month, plus taxes and fees with an annual prepaid plan" - who knows what those "fees" are.

At that price you might as well just upgrade to Google One for 100GB storage at £1.33/month. I've used the annual pricing of £15.99/year here for a more fair comparison but this includes taxes which I guess would make it cheaper than Yahoo again.

I also find it funny that Yahoo's marketing page states "With plans for as little as $1.19* a month, business mail is a low-cost way to build trust online. Get analytics, 1 TB of free storage, and more." - no, the storage isn't free, you've literally just stated the cost in the previous sentence!

That said, I would never use a consumer grade email service for business usage personally. I would want some level of customer service, confidence that my provider won't lock my account randomly one day without any way to contact them, no ads, etc. Fastmail is my go-to.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  6. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,363 443
    G-suite has customer service, no adds and isn't likely to shut down. Just saying ;)

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  7. gpietersz

1,573 391
    BT used to use Yahoo for their customers email. It Does not affect anyone who signed up directly with Yahoo.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  8. Darren_Ssc

1,363 443
    Wasn't there a massive security breach at the time?

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  9. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,173 324
    Yep, agreed, the comment quoted was in relation to the OP currently using the consumer version of Gmail which I don't think is a good idea for any business! I assume it's for a business anyway given we're on UKBF and the mention of a custom domain but may be wrong.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  10. gpietersz

1,573 391
    How good is the customer service for small business with the supposed business grade services? I am not at all confident that they will not lock your account or sort out problems. Its certainly better than using consumer services where you might never get it unlocked, but AFAIK it can take a day or two with GSuite.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  11. Darren_Ssc

1,363 443
    The one time I've had to use it, pretty impressive. I'm not aware of many lock-outs although I accept they are possible. Given the number of customers though, I doubt the numbers are beyond a negligible amount. You have control of your own domain after all?

I should add that I not a fan of the way that Google have taken over email as a service but we are where we are.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  12. money road

money road UKBF Regular Full Member

186 13
    Let me get this clear: you used 60% of 15Gb only using email on gmail?
    I mean I use about 50% of space, but that's personal account and these 7 Gb used for google photos, icluding my images videos, audio, apps on the phone, email and etc

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 By: money road Member since: Feb 9, 2014
  13. Naheed Mir

Naheed Mir UKBF Contributor Free Member

90 7

Yahoo Mail provides a business plan that requires just about one dollar per month. The plan includes a custom domain name, 1000 GB of available storage, and various email addresses to your employees following identical domain names. It also lets users send free SMS messages and instant messaging.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 By: Naheed Mir Member since: Aug 10, 2020