Would you prefer a mobile mechanic or a garage with premises?

Discussion in 'Yorkshire & Humberside' started by businessapprent, Apr 5, 2014.

1. businessapprent

businessapprent UKBF Contributor Free Member

58 3
    Hey everyone

I'm in the process of researching a business and I want to get some feedback and ask a few questions.

I want to setup a car garage that offers all the usual services, but instead of mechanics charging by the hour, we would offer customers a membership service where they pay a monthly membership fee and for that we cover all the labour element for servicing, maintenance and repair.

One of the problems I've had is trying to find suitable premises. Either the premises are in the right location but the landlord won't allow the units to be used for a car garage or they're perfect but they're located out of the way in the back of some industrial estate.

So I wanted to know if you were going to use such a service, would you prefer to travel to the garage or would you prefer to have a mobile mechanic come to you?

Also any comments on the idea itself would also be really appreciated.

Nick

Posted: Apr 5, 2014 By: businessapprent Member since: Aug 31, 2013
  2. Billmccallum

Billmccallum UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,177 1,074
    another alternative is to offer a collection/delivery/pick-up service, useful for people who are at work.

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 By: Billmccallum Member since: Apr 20, 2010
  3. SuffolkDesigns

SuffolkDesigns UKBF Old Timer Full Member - Verified Business

2,764 360
    I would think that you would need premises, can't imagine changing a clutch by the side of the road in the middle of January.

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 By: SuffolkDesigns Member since: Jul 5, 2005
  4. BustersDogs

BustersDogs UKBF Ace Free Member

1,252 231
    Pick up and collection would be better than mobile. I don't want tinkering with cars outside my house. I'm lucky that I live within walking distance of my local garage, but they aren't the cheapest. I'd swap to a cheaper place if they'd collect and drop off the car for me.

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 By: BustersDogs Member since: Jun 7, 2011
  5. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

3,862 1,459
    Agree, pick-up and drop-off is the way to go.

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  6. ianm10

ianm10 UKBF Contributor Free Member

72 16
    Mixed opinions as I have used both. Most authorised dealers (and smaller) nowadays offer pickup and collection, as the world is changing and people like the convenience. I believe a garage portrays a more professional image, especially if you are selling "service plans".

For my other halls runaround, I usually use a mobile mechanic as this is also convenient and cheaper. He will usually take the car away, and actually has a custom build pit on his drive to allow him to work under the car. I know he also works with a local garage to use their facilities and undertake MOT's via their premises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 By: ianm10 Member since: May 7, 2012
  7. businessapprent

businessapprent UKBF Contributor Free Member

58 3
    Not really sure why but pick up and drop off never even occurred to me. Thanks for the replies, very very useful.

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 By: businessapprent Member since: Aug 31, 2013
  8. Billmccallum

Billmccallum UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,177 1,074
    In a market where there is usually high competition, from main dealers and independents, you need to offer everything that your customer might want, so how do/can/could they get to you,

a) drive themselves - make it a comfortable experience, coffee machine, comfy chairs, TV/wireless internet.
    b) you pick their car up from home or workplace - arrive in/on a branded vehicle with branded clothing (seen one garage with a "fold-into-a-bag" electric bike that could go in the boot or back seat).
    c) you go to them - you need a bigger vehicle to carry tools and diagnostic kit, can only deal with one customer at a time, you need to travel to get spare parts.

I know I usually choose A or B.

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 By: Billmccallum Member since: Apr 20, 2010
  9. Joe Walsh

Joe Walsh UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9 0
    Hi Nick, I think a Mobile Mechanic Garage will be cool, register your business and operate your mobile mechanic from anywhere convenient. I'm working on launching an app for Mobile Mechanics for UK, I got a beta version running in Australia

Posted: Jul 9, 2016 By: Joe Walsh Member since: Jul 9, 2016