Would you like to write for UKBF?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by ChrisGoodfellow, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisGoodfellow

ChrisGoodfellow UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

143 43
    Hey Everyone,

We're working hard to increase the number of community members that are involved in writing articles for UKBF (the features that appear in the left-hand menu). The idea is to use the new format to write what are basically longer posts, which provide useful guides to issues that are commonly raised in the forum.

Here are a couple of recent examples from members:

@The Byre - Piggy back advertising: Make your blockbuster
    @FrazerBye - Seven things to consider when self-filing UK trade mark applications

If you're interested in writing something for the site, please drop me a private message with a few details of what you would like to cover and any related threads.

Thanks!

Chris

Posted: Nov 10, 2016 By: ChrisGoodfellow Member since: Jul 10, 2014
  2. Don Smith

Don Smith UKBF Regular Free Member

155 51
    How much do you pay per article?

Posted: Nov 15, 2016 By: Don Smith Member since: Oct 2, 2016
  3. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Full Member

2,253 520
    How much traffic do they get?

Posted: Nov 15, 2016 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  4. ChrisGoodfellow

143 43
    Sorry for the slow response on this one.

@Don Smith We don't pay contributors. The entrepreneurs that write for the site use it as a marketing exercise and/or a way to give back to the community, much as they would a post on the site. We include a link(s), which provides SEO benefit and potentially a route to generate leads and sales. We share on our social accounts (27k+ followers) and @ you on Twitter, which should help build your following. And, there's some unquantifiable kudos from being featured in a publication.

As with any marketing activity, it requires a time commitment and you need to weigh up the time spent here versus other potential routes (building a facebook group, posting on LinkedIn, writing funny signs for your shop front etc.). I believe there's value to doing it (or I wouldn't be asking), but the best judge if you're unsure is to talk to other members about their experiences.

@NickGrogan Traffic varies wildly between articles. The starting benchmark for a successful article is 200 pageviews, but it can go into the thousands. That said, it's also worth thinking about how niche the target and, therefore, the quality of the traffic. You could get thousands of clicks on a Buzzfeed-type article like The top 57 things that annoy entrepreneurs (not that we'd run that), but you wouldn't get the value from potential leads/ branding. This article is a good example of fit. I'm also really keen on looking at dwell time (aka is it valuable piece of information?!) and whether we get comments.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Posted: Nov 17, 2016 By: ChrisGoodfellow Member since: Jul 10, 2014
  5. UK Business Directory

UK Business Directory UKBF Contributor Full Member

83 17
    What subjects do you accept. Would you accept IT related articles?

Posted: Nov 17, 2016 By: UK Business Directory Member since: Nov 16, 2016
  6. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,834 3,349
    Given that you have accepted employment law articles from Peninsular Services, who have been slated time and time again in these fora, what checks do you make about the contributors?

Posted: Nov 17, 2016 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  7. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,249 9,172
    200 page views isn't very many from 27K followers. How many articles have been read by thousands?
    This seems to be a lot less than you would expect and may be related to the article content and low page views.

The articles could generate a lot more views if they were better presented. Many suggestions have been made in numerous threads ever since they were introduced....

I'd write something but there doesn't appear to be much benefit. Spending a couple of hours creating an article for just 200 people to scan and then perhaps get a couple of click-thorughs doesn't seem to be a good ROI. I can get more views than that by posting a new thread on the forum.

Posted: Nov 17, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. ChrisGoodfellow

143 43
    @fisicx Definitely - no problem if it's not for you. I know you get a lot of recommendations through your advice in the comments, so that's probably the best angle for you.

Have you done any work with twitter? obs if you post in feed on a site that's constantly updating with content 27k people don't see it. Then of the people that see it not all will click. We have built several large accounts (103k total social followers) and have pointed them at a huge range of content, so have a decent gauge on what works and why.

9. ChrisGoodfellow

143 43
  10. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,249 9,172
    But I am interested in writing an article, I've even got one you can use that I was going to post in a thread. It's just the low page views that puts me off. How many of the articles do get page views in the thousands?

Posted: Nov 17, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. ChrisGoodfellow

143 43
    @fisicx had a quick look at the stats and around 10% of the articles we run get over 1k clicks - aka it's really tough! Thanks for the DM, will reply now :)

Posted: Nov 18, 2016 By: ChrisGoodfellow Member since: Jul 10, 2014
  12. Scott Heron

Scott Heron UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 5
    Hi Chris

Yeah, I'm game. I'll send something over this week.

Posted: Nov 22, 2016 By: Scott Heron Member since: Jun 13, 2012
  13. ChrisGoodfellow

143 43
    @Scott Heron Thanks! Please send a synopsis/ idea, rather than a finished article!

Posted: Nov 22, 2016 By: ChrisGoodfellow Member since: Jul 10, 2014
  14. webgeek

webgeek UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,029 1,476
    Started a conversation directly with @ChrisGoodfellow - never received a reply of any kind.

Posted: Nov 22, 2016 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
  15. ChrisGoodfellow

143 43
    @webgeek Sorry! I replied to the four-five requests at once, but someone didn't end up sending yours. Please bear with me, I'm at a training course right now, but will get back to you this afternoon :)

16. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,980 1,012
    @ChrisGoodfellow
    Did this not merit a response?

FYI - Peninsular aren't just slated on UKBF.

Posted: Nov 22, 2016 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  17. ChrisGoodfellow

143 43
  18. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,980 1,012
    I, and I'm sure others would be, interested to know the answer.

If there is no barrier to writing an article, I for one would not rely on its credibility.

Posted: Nov 22, 2016 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  19. Don Smith

Don Smith UKBF Regular Free Member

155 51
    As the Peninsular example shows credibility isn't high on the list, or UKBF simply don't research what has been written.

Question is, who looks the bigger fool, the author or the publisher?

Posted: Nov 22, 2016 By: Don Smith Member since: Oct 2, 2016
  20. webgeek

webgeek UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,029 1,476
    I know the answer, I know the answer....

Posted: Nov 22, 2016 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.