Would be setting up a website even be beneficial to me?

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by MC Wright, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Financial-Modeller

Financial-Modeller UKBF Legend

1,173 449
    A different way to look at it perhaps, but is there any benefit in not having a website?

I guess that the cost of operating a simple website would be comparable to your existing social media and printing flyers and delivering them.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: Financial-Modeller Member since: Jul 3, 2012
  2. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Verified Business ✔️

4,014 718
    Simply that you save the time and money.

Paul.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  3. Hooble

Hooble Full Member

22 1
    In terms of your business, it would be more a point of information, from my personal perspective what would be nice to see on a website like that would be your prices and any licenses for trust purposes. If you have branded vehicles to a nice shot of those too.

In regards to the site itself if you word it carefully you can make sure to include the keywords Google and other search engines like to see, so the words "Waste Disposal" and then ensure you have in written words on the site the areas covered that way if someone were to look up "Waste Disposal Gloucester" it would bring you up in Google search. Can be a good way to get some organic business even for trades and services such as yours.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 By: Hooble Member since: Apr 29, 2021
  4. swaps

swaps UKBF Newcomer

49 0
    The problem is even some of the licenced one's are dodgy and fly tip. A licence proves nothing, it customer feedback that helps you choose the replicable one's.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 By: swaps Member since: Jan 2, 2011
  5. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Verified Business ✔️

4,014 718
    True, so perhaps just a Google Business page. It's up to the OP really.

Paul.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  6. UKOnlineServices

UKOnlineServices UKBF Newcomer

12 2
    A website is a necessity for most businesses these days, as your customers might want information about your business. If they can't find it, they will go with whoever answers their question. You can set up a website yourself with rather little effort just to provide basic information. This is not much in terms of online marketing, but much better than nothing.

Posted: Sep 7, 2021 By: UKOnlineServices Member since: Sep 7, 2021
  7. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

6,175 912
    Why you do not have a website, all of your competition is taking your business!

A simple website, tied with Google (and Bing) My Business is a fantastic start to generating leads.

Posted: Sep 7, 2021 By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  8. Alan Bradley

Alan Bradley UKBF Newcomer

1 0
    I have a client that was in the same position however I mentioned to him to also view the long game.

it’s good to have your business now running as it does however what if something changes, a lead source drys up? Or alternatively if he wanted to sell the business later down the line.

Having a professional digital footprint for your brand not only helps with the organisation of your leads but also helps showcase your brand in its best foot forward.

We also add a more professional touch to his word of mouth and social/community marketing in the groups and this grew his orders then his business.

Posted: Sep 8, 2021 By: Alan Bradley Member since: Sep 8, 2021
  9. Aleksander_Gramm

Aleksander_Gramm UKBF Contributor

220 20
    You can start from Google My Business as many have already written. Also you can use site builders like Wix. Web agencies offer the simple business site from £500 (fixed price model). In fact, the real cost of WordPress website (custom theme, custom UX design, quality code, 3-5 pages) is £725. Each of these ways has their own advantages and drawbacks. I'd start from Google My Business and use https://sites.google.com/ to understand how it would work for me.

Posted: Sep 9, 2021 By: Aleksander_Gramm Member since: Dec 14, 2018
  10. yyovvo

yyovvo yyovvo...The People's Gift Shop Full Member

33 1
    Basic website with contact details, details of what you do, customer testimonials, About the business, your story and a call to action,
    but more importantly
    - set up social media business pages, link them to your web page and engage your audience.
    - list your business in all your local web-directories.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 By: yyovvo Member since: Sep 5, 2021
  11. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,044 10,697
    No it’s not.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Aleksander_Gramm

220 20
    Why?

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 By: Aleksander_Gramm Member since: Dec 14, 2018
  13. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,044 10,697
    Because it doesn’t have to cost that much. Most WP sites don’t need a custom theme. And the number of pages is irrelevant.

14. Aleksander_Gramm

220 20
    The custom theme only costs a penny.
    3-5 pages - Home, services/products, About us/Contact us. Also 3-5 pages allows to build the good informational architecture of a site.
    Custom UX/UI design and ACF cost some money.
    It is possible to find WP site for £150, but from my experience it is a risky way. Also, I know it, our parthers from USA resell our sites for £1,500-3000. They do that because they're American web agencies. We can't :)
    In fact, £500-725 is a totally fair price for a site that will make tens of thousands of pounds. So it is a good ROI.

15. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,044 10,697
    Sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. Yes you can do all that but in most cases you don’t need to. The majority of WP sites use a standard theme. A custom UI or ACF isn’t needed. Success depends on the content not the wrapper. 3-5 pages isn’t really sufficient to market a business, google like breadth and depth. Site owners can have as many pages/posts as they want.

I agree you can pay for someone to develop a site and pay huge sums. But it’s not necessary in this case.

16. Aleksander_Gramm

220 20
    As we all know a theme affects ranking :) So, using "a standard theme" is controversial.

If a person wants to use "standard theme", it should know a) invest in quality content (because Success depends on the content), as I know it costs money b) scalability c) support and maintenance d) conversion rate because custom UX design means marketing and UX research (that costs money).

So, it seems reasonable to invest £725 instead of invest £150 and then investing 10 times more (SEO, conversion marketing, content).

Yes, you are right, site owners can create as many pages, as they need. But it costs money. The site owner have to invest in the informational architecture creation and content creation. I think it'd better to create a few pages instead of dozens pages. It is all about the conten quality.

I agree, site owners should invest in marketing/brand messages and hosting instead of wasting money, but they can't ignore UX design, UI design and some tech things.

17. Aleksander_Gramm

220 20
    There is no problem to create a website. Any business owner can use Wix, blogspot or Google sites or hire a freelancer from one of poorest countries in the world.
    There is a problem to build a website, that can help to achieve the business goals in a cost-effective way. As I wrote, WP development costs a penny, but website owners invest in the business tool that includes marketing ideas. These ideas cost money, not code. A profesional web design agency have to use own strategy-driven approach, that based on marketing principles to build a website that will work for business (almost) without additional investment in SEO, redesign, "content marketing", support and maintenance.

18. MrHarryPotter

MrHarryPotter UKBF Newcomer

14 4
    Try to check Upwork, you'll find lots of great talents that will perfectly do the job.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 By: MrHarryPotter Member since: Aug 25, 2021
  19. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,044 10,697
    You will also find lots of scammers and junk.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  20. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Legend

6,443 2,762
    We did consider this and concluded that fir my wife there was negative benefit

I have adequate skills to create an OK brochure site in an hour or so so the overall cost would be about £100

The upside was zero the downside was potentially a flow of crappy 'what does it cost' enquiries

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015