General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Would a company pay for....

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Merchant UK, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 592
    a mobile phone number the same as the business landline number?

Say for example your business number is 01434 556 778 would you be happy to pay a one off fee, say £25 for a mobile sim card with the number 07947 556 778

Not sure if this would make a business ideal, or a hindrance

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  2. smithsrecovery

smithsrecovery UKBF Contributor Full Member

45 6
    I would get one .... but the start would have to be easier... (07777) or similar

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 By: smithsrecovery Member since: Nov 29, 2014
  3. Merchant UK

2,419 592
    I guess the code would be that of the mobile operator but for just the actual number would a company actually find this useful to have as the same number as their landline, plus i'm not talking diverts or any like that but an actual Real Mobile Phone Sim Number (New and Un used)

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  4. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    The sale of QR codes and questionable SEO tactics prove that companies do pay for all sorts of things that a lot of the time aren't really worth it. So yes, strictly speaking *some* would I'm sure.

looking at the idea myself though, I can't see the benefit.

Memorable phone numbers aren't much needed these days as we all keep record of numbers dialled, contacts, emails, bookmarks. I can't think of the last time I had to remember a number (other than my own of course - fix that nightmare and you could be on to something!)

The only other reason a large company has a memorable number now is that it looks good. You sort of expect that Ford UK will have a 'special' number, like 223344 etc. not 374667.

But neither of these benefits would cross over to the mobile number, as the first 5 digits would be random. Even if they were not they still wouldn't relate to your own geographical region like a local companies landline number would.

And lastly, getting a 'posh' or personalised telephone number is only expected of a sizeable company, which wouldn't advertise a mobile number in any case.

It's a good thought pattern to have though. I don't see the benefit of this idea, but making links like this is exactly where great new business ideas do come from. A bit like whoever it was in the States that first started quoting phone numbers as words relative to the business.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  5. Merchant UK

2,419 592
    OK Kinda got lost with the above post but in essence, would a company whose telephone number is 01756 5455 115 pay for a Mobile Number 07895 5455 115 ?

Would You? YES/NO ?

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  6. Matthew : TekHive Hosting

Matthew : TekHive Hosting UKBF Contributor Free Member

71 14
    Wouldn't really have any interest to us, I suppose if you was just starting out and it was a "Emergency" number could be useful.

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 By: Matthew : TekHive Hosting Member since: Jul 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.