Working from Home

Discussion in 'London & South East' started by LineClenze Redhill, Aug 19, 2016.

1. LineClenze Redhill

LineClenze Redhill UKBF Newcomer Free Member

We all know about the positive benefits of working from home, but sometimes there are negatives.

Like today for example. I enjoy working from home, but not when my teenage step daughter has decided to take a day off sick. I know she wont disturb me, much, but there aren't many businesses where they allow a teenager to be around all day when you are trying to work.

I have toyed with idea of renting an office space, but as a start up business I am conscious of trying to keep costs to a minimum. What I ideally need is just a desk and Wi-Fi connection to be able to work, so may have to take myself down to the pub when it opens and work from there all day.

Does anyone else have the same or similar issue about working from home?

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 By: LineClenze Redhill Member since: Jul 27, 2016
  2. profitxchange

profitxchange UKBF Ace Free Member

Its good to have somewhere you call the office so you can separate work from living. a shed in the garden is worth a look.

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 By: profitxchange Member since: Apr 16, 2005
  3. Virtual Reality Hire

Virtual Reality Hire UKBF Contributor Free Member

It might be worth considering a shared office or even looking at renting a desk?

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 By: Virtual Reality Hire Member since: May 20, 2016
  4. LineClenze Redhill

I have considered a shared office and also renting a desk, but need to keep costs to a minimum and the moment. Does anyone have any space that I could consider using. Would need to be local to where I live in Hassocks, West Sussex ideally.

5. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

Build a home office, wooden frame, cheap as you like, mine cost £2000.

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  6. Krystsina

Krystsina UKBF Regular Free Member

I'm pretty sure that it won't be a big problem if you come to work to some coffee shop, I see a lot of people working with their laptops like this. When I was freelancing, I used to visit some coffee shops to spend half a day there, but I know this uncomfortable feeling of "need to buy a cup of coffee", and I used to follow it. Or you can go for a co-working space, but I don't know if it can fit your model of "minimum costs".

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 By: Krystsina Member since: Jun 21, 2016
  7. LineClenze Redhill

Thanks Krystina, I had thought of the coffee shop idea, but there is only so much coffee one can drink in a day.

A co-working office would be a good idea, so hopefully someone will read this thread and provide some help or suggestions.

8. Krystsina

Krystsina UKBF Regular Free Member

Not at all, I hope you will find a solution :) I googled a few websites, maybe they will be helpful for you:
    I've seen a few cheap options like £8/month, depends on your preferences of the location.

Posted: Aug 22, 2016 By: Krystsina Member since: Jun 21, 2016
  9. Rymer Associates

Rymer Associates UKBF Contributor Free Member

I worked from home for 6 months before renting office space! The problem was everyone got home around 4 and my daughter would instantly demand my attention.

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 By: Rymer Associates Member since: Sep 16, 2016
  10. UlsterGooner

UlsterGooner UKBF Contributor Free Member

Google this phrase on the BBC News site: Is the party over for free wi-fi in cafes?

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 By: UlsterGooner Member since: Aug 31, 2016
  11. Michelle Harris

Michelle Harris UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I actually loving working from home and luckily do not get bothered very often. Even if someone else is here I can zone out and keep at work. I wear headphones so they know not to talk to me haha. But actually, I am working with a company who are addressing this need and others by having a cafe for local communities for networking, learning and if you want just to sit and work which I think is a great idea, the first one will be in Woking.

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 By: Michelle Harris Member since: Oct 20, 2016
  12. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

Thats interesting, as Woking already has a very flexible co-working space a bit like that already, where you can vary from dropping and pay as you go, free coffee etc to so many days a month to full commitment to desks or just book the meeting room for an hour. http://www.collaborate.works/

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  13. Michelle Harris

Michelle Harris UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Ah well working isn't really the aim of it - its more networking, business and tech help but you could work there if you wanted. And you'd have a membership. No extra charges.

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 By: Michelle Harris Member since: Oct 20, 2016
  14. Jezen

Jezen UKBF Contributor Full Member

I've been working from home primarily for the past three years. I love being at home, but even introverts can be driven to insanity by isolation.

I sometimes work at cafés (as I happen to be doing now!), but I also feel that pressure of having to constantly buy things.

One work space that I feel is often overlooked is… public libraries! I love working in libraries, especially if you find one that's big and beautiful.

Wherever I work from though, I'd probably go crazy without noise-cancelling headphones. I have a pair of Bose QC15s, and also a pair of Bose QC20s. Yes, they're expensive, but so is any programmer's time.

Posted: Jan 26, 2017 By: Jezen Member since: Jan 26, 2017
  15. Fvivian

Fvivian UKBF Contributor Free Member

In general, in the morning, I work at home (on bed or sofa); and then go to office. I rent a desk in Central London, £200 + vat. I enjoy it.

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 By: Fvivian Member since: Nov 27, 2015
  16. Colin_W

Colin_W UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have been working from home for around 4 years and although I normally enjoy being able to get on with it and mix work with being able to do other things, I do sometimes feel the need to have some people around.

So I'll second coffee shops and public libraries.

I've also recently encountered NearDesk. I found them when booking a meeting room, but they also offer a pay as you go hot-desking service. I haven't used it as yet, but do plan to as an alternative to coffee shops. And they might provide some networking opportunities if other businesses are based there or using hot desks too.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 By: Colin_W Member since: Mar 1, 2017