working from home doing bookkeeping

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by donna, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alison Jones

Alison Jones UKBF Newcomer Free Member

902 150
    [
    Please can someone give me some advise as to how I start my own business from scratch? Your help would be most appreciated.

I set up my business in August 2006 from scratch when I got made redundant 3 or 4 weeks before my wedding, I got a website, before wedding I replied to an ad in local newspaper wanting bookkeeper 3 hours a week, got that client, found an accountant contact who passed clients my way. I would say it has not been easy and with client base it has ups and downs, you gain clients who have backlog of work so get lots of hours but when caught up on the backlog hours lessen, some clients retire, other clients become bad payers, others get inhouse bookkeepers. For nearly a year a had part time job 3 days a week, then at the time I got my ICB qualifications my client base grew and grew to the point I am getting business premises and shortly staff so been worthwhile but lot of hard work.

Good luck

Alison

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 By: Alison Jones Member since: Mar 14, 2008
  2. DavidT

DavidT UKBF Newcomer Free Member

914 113
    As you can see from this thread... there's a lot to starting up a bookkeeping business, or most other types of businesses.

I'm sure we could help in quite a few ways, from our new start-up business package to partner offers such as a free subscription to e-conomic online software along with some great discounts.

If you have specific questions, areas you don't feel you already have covered it can certainly help with understanding what answers you might need.

Feel free to email me too if you have any queries you feel we might be able to help with.

Best of luck!

David Toohey
    The Accountants Circle
    Accountancy & Bookkeeping Forums | Accountant & Bookkeeper Blogs | Company Formations from £21! | Business Start-Up Package

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 By: DavidT Member since: Aug 16, 2007
  3. himanigangani

himanigangani Guest

1 0
    Hello

I Himani Gangani would like to say u that I am gonna be part qualified this july and have very good experience working in accounts field , I knew many softwares like payroll, Quickbooks. I have done VAT, Payroll , Bookkeeping for 2 years for many clients. Now I am thinking to start my own. But the only lacking is that I have done upto trial bal, I dont have much idea on closing of year end. Well I know It is very easy but I can get clients by adverrtisement and we both can do it. I can purchase softwares of payroll , Payroll is really good income. Well let me know if u r interested to work togather and email me on himaniranderia yahoo.co.uk as I dont regularly visist this forum.Thanks Byee

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 By: himanigangani Member since: Jun 2, 2009
  4. ddhillon

ddhillon UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 0
    hi donna,
    your story gave me some courage to start my own business as well. as i am a qualified bookkeeper but i didnt start working yet , so i am little bit scared if i will do the accounts right for people. can u please advice me how did u do the accounts of your first client ? did you seek some help ?
    i have an advice for you. you can publish your name in yellow pages to get more work

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 By: ddhillon Member since: Jun 15, 2009
  5. deepspat18

deepspat18 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I wanted some advice; I am an ACCA qual accountant with 12 years experience working in both industry and banking (investment), but none in practice or book-keeping. As I am currently not working as I have a toddler to look after, I would like to take a book-keeping course so that I may in the future set up my own book-keeping business. I understand that ACCA do not require me to take any more quals before I do this other than a practicing licence, but I would like to do one as I have no practical experience and as a refresher. Does anyone have any advice as to which course I should do? I do not mind taking exams.............

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 By: deepspat18 Member since: Jun 17, 2009
  6. samanthaZ

samanthaZ UKBF Newcomer Free Member

47 0
    I have the same question...I am qualified accountant working in industry and commercial environment. Have done from petty cash to Balance Sheet etc. As time passing by, more and more I want to set up my own business. But one, I have no experience about tax return and payroll. for income tax, I know different industry has different expense claim policy. How could I sort this out? two, I am not going to resign before I have sufficient clients. Can I run my own business and working for a company at the same time? Will they find out by PAYE?

Could anyone give an advise? Thanks...

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 By: samanthaZ Member since: May 17, 2009
  7. frauke

frauke UKBF Regular Free Member

398 52
    Can I remind everyone on this thread who is thinking about setting up as a book-keeper that you need to be registered under the Money Laundering Regulation before you start!

If you are a member of a professional body, that means getting a practice certificate and if you are not a member of a professional body, then you need to register with HM Revenue & Customs.

Gone are the days when you just found your first client and just started.

Posted: Jun 19, 2009 By: frauke Member since: Jul 13, 2007
  8. Argus1961

Argus1961 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9 0
    I am considering membership of the ICB and note from their website that I may be able to become a member by qualification. I passed my AAT Accountancy Level 3 in July 2008 and wondered if anyone could tell me where, if anywhere, this would place me on the ICB "ladder".

Thanks in advance. :D

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 By: Argus1961 Member since: Aug 14, 2009
  9. DavidT

DavidT UKBF Newcomer Free Member

914 113
    This really is better as a whole new post.

If you mean AAT Technician level (unless it's changed), I'd expect this would effectively be at the top rung of any ICB "ladder"...

...but if you are talking about what's acceptable by them as a member by qualification really only they could tell you.

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: DavidT Member since: Aug 16, 2007
  10. Slidic

Slidic UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    Alice,

I don't know about the I.C.B. but do about the I.A.B. (as I have done their qualifications).

I choose IAB, because I had good access to tutors, and good local support. In my case it was a choice between IAB and AAT at the time, and I thought the IAB course was more relevant to the type of work I was already doing, and intending to do.

I don't know if that helps.

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: Slidic Member since: Aug 15, 2009
  11. Argus1961

9 0

My qualification is Intermediate, one below Technician.

Thanks to you both for the feedback

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 By: Argus1961 Member since: Aug 14, 2009
  12. winfiea

winfiea UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I left after 28 yrs of Being a Senior Business Manager for a major high street bank to set up on my own as a bookeeper, Most of my referrals have come from the Accountants i know and a local networking group, being a bookkeeper is rewarding and i enjoy the flexibility it brings., Thereis an awful lot more to providing a good service than people think and yet you get out of it what you put in... Consider what your overall travelling costs/overheads are and what you will supply ie stationary etc, I charge £15 per hr and have only had one person say its more than they expected., I am always busy and there are not always enough hours in the day.

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 By: winfiea Member since: Aug 19, 2009
  13. Argus1961

9 0
    Duplicate post sorry

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    Posted: Aug 24, 2009 By: Argus1961 Member since: Aug 14, 2009
  14. Argus1961

9 0
    Hello

I have not yet registered as self employed as I am waiting for membership confirmation from the IAB. I have bought some stationary and stuff in peparation for starting up. I cant seem to find any information about the timescale for allowable expenses prior to registering. What I mean is do I have to register as self employed within a certain length of time from when these goods were bought for them to be allowable.

Many thanks.

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 By: Argus1961 Member since: Aug 14, 2009
  15. Yogeeta

Yogeeta Guest

1 0
    hello there

I'm part qualified ACCA n a bookkeeper,basically i'm looking for some clients where i can start my small bookkeeping job from home which gonna b very convenient
    But how to start n where to get those clients,basically how to do the first step..can someone help plzzzzzzzz.....Well its a brand new start 4me really..

thanks very much

Posted: Sep 29, 2009 By: Yogeeta Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  16. on_the_verge

on_the_verge UKBF Newcomer Free Member

44 0
    Hi,

I am considering starting up part time and working from home, I am CIMA quailified so I am right in thinking I need to get a practising certificate.

After that it is a case of getting some publicity up and running?

Thanks

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: on_the_verge Member since: Feb 1, 2010
  17. mrscoco

mrscoco UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Hi

I wondered if someone could tell me some info??

I have just taken on two clients who want me to to take over from there existing bookkeepers and i am studying the Pitman Diploma in Finance and the 2 clients understand that i do not have a great deal of experience but luckily i just have to take over from the existing bookkeeper.

Unfortunately my clients both have accountants that use Sage, do you think it wouldbe advisable to buy the Sage accountants' club package?

I am already self employed so do i still need to ring the HMRc to infrom them that i am now doing bookkeeping work?

I have recieved a quote from Towergate for the PII, but does anyone know of anywhere cheaper or that they have experience with. They are quoting me approx £26 a month for 100k cover.

Do i need to become part of a bookkeeping body??

Sorry for all the questions but i have been trawling through the web and am just getting very confused at all the info!!!

Thanks for any help or advice and thanks for your time, much appreciated :)

Posted: Apr 27, 2010 By: mrscoco Member since: Apr 19, 2010
  18. Williams lester

Williams lester UKBF Newcomer Full Member

2,251 343
    You will still need to register with HMRC for MLR.

Posted: Apr 27, 2010 By: Williams lester Member since: Oct 16, 2008
  19. Sonnu10

Sonnu10 Guest

2 0
    Hello there, I tried to get in touch with you for further assistant but the phone is not working and the email bounced. Is there any other way where i can get further advice please?

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 By: Sonnu10 Member since: Aug 23, 2010
  20. davidyates

davidyates UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Hi everyone

I have a financial services background but am just doing my bookkeeping qualification with the intention of becoming self employed. I have three main questions if anyone can help :

1. What is the scope for a bookkeeping business? I prefer the idea of developing it to the point where if I become busy enough I can either employ or subcontract work but I'm not sure if the fixed fees and hourly rates carry enough margin to make this a feasible working model. For example myself and 3 employees based in an an office premisis. If anyone currently has this working model or feels they could give me some guidance please get in touch.

2. I like the idea of working with someone perhaps as a partnership. Does anyone know the best way to find like minded people in my area. This is Derbyshire by the way.

3. I ran a similar business previously where all work was completed either by telephone, post or online. Apart from occasional visits to client is this a business model that could work withing a bookkeeping business?

Sorry for all the question but if anyone can give me guidance on these that would be great.

Many thanks

David

Posted: Aug 26, 2011 By: davidyates Member since: Jul 8, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.