Employment & HR Brought to you by Jaluch (DocsWizard)

Work Place bullying advice required please?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Allen1307, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Allen1307

Allen1307 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Hi i have been working for a logistics company for nearly 2 years and i have been getting stress and hassle from a co worker constant shouting at me and getting angry over anything.
    I like to keep my head down and work but be polite and friendly to my work colleagues.
    The staff on the shop floor were having a debate about a work colleague (talking about him behind his back) and i just carried on with my work as i did not wish to get involved.
    But this Colleague started ranting at me you had no input i said i do not want to get involved he said you are nearly 36 and had no input you are not 13. I said again i do not wish to get involved he kept ranting at me or making snide comments all day from 10:30 until home time then he had another rant at home time you are not going to say good bye to us i did say good bye and waved.
    I just had enough and reported it then he came out of a meeting and ranted again all day at me.
    I keep saying i do not wish to get involved and i want to work but he kept ranting all day again then the following day first thing in the morning he started ranting at me again so i reported it again.
    He has ranted at me for eating chocolate at break time and eating a banana. He has pushed the boss before ranting at him I am in charge not you.
    My manager does nothing he just protects him as he is scared off him.
    The guy just rants all the time you vote for who i tell you to vote for i said i vote who i want he just rants.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 By: Allen1307 Member since: Feb 17, 2018
  2. g

g UKBF Regular Free Member

217 45
    Although various regulations provide for 'workplace respect and safety', getting the expected benefit therefrom is difficult... and moreso if management are resistant.

Likely outcome of trying to obtain what ought to be normal, is that more people become more displeased by you, and you subsequently quit.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 By: g Member since: Jan 29, 2018
  3. Allen1307

7 0
    Thanks for the response i think i will end up quitting as i am off with stress with doctors notes. I have been ranted at there for nearly 2 years by this guy. But my manager just protects the guy at all costs. The guy rants all the time at anyone it is not nice when a guy is constantly ranting at you for no reason. I do not understand why as i have done nothing wrong to him or any one.

4. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Regular Free Member

286 55
    Apart from leaving or accepting the current behaviour, your only other option is to put in an official complaint of bullying against this colleague.

Generally speaking any employer should take this matter extremely seriously, do you have a union who could help you? It is generally accepted if you feel you are being bullied then you are, just the accusation should merit a true investigation.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,429 777
    I would suggest as this manager is not doing anything then going beyond them is the next step. Informally maybe, or as its been happening so long maybe formally.

Certainly sounds like unacceptable workplace behaviour.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Allen1307

7 0
    I have spoken to ACAS who said file a grievance and i also have notes dates and times. He has ranted at me for having a friend who comes from Jamaica i will have a go at you if i find out you hang out with him (threatening violence).
    The guy has seen me driving and followed me before he watched me pull into a car park to meet my friend then he reversed and drove off he followed me for about 7 miles.
    Then the next day he ranted at me for going to the pub i said you can not go to the pub.

7. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

2,184 486
    Following someone outside work is clearly not normal behaviour. In fact I would say that this behaviour amounts to stalking/harassment. What you have tried so far hasn't worked so you need to go further. You need to talk to your manager or HR and inform them in no uncertain terms that they have a legal obligation to take action.

Also, if this person follows you outside work I would immediately file a police complaint for stalking/harassment. Make sure you clearly present all your notes on the duration/extent of the harassment including the threat(s) of violence.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  8. ElisaLee

ElisaLee UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 4
    Your employers have a duty of care for their employees and are responsible for ensuring that you work in an environment that does not endanger your health and safety under the HSE Act 1974 for the welfare of employees.

There is no legal definition of bullying but loosely speaking it can be described as 'negative behaviour being targeted at an individual, or individuals, repeatedly and persistently over time.' It can manifest itself in abusive behaviour intended to intimidate or humiliate an individual which can threaten their dignity, safety and well being. Continual 'ranting' I would say would come under this definition.

You have reported the bullying to your manager who has proved ineffectual and in their own daily management of the so called bully, you are aware that the manager has been physically assaulted by the so called 'bully' and you are still having to face the same behaviour so at the moment there is a lack of trust and confidence in your manager. You should keep a diary of the events, dates, times and note what was said.

Generally employers will try to deal with things like this informally. In the absence of your line manager can you speak to anyone in HR or your line managers manager? If still no resolution, you could also raise a grievance and if for some reason it isn't upheld, you can appeal.

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 By: ElisaLee Member since: Jan 31, 2018
  9. Allen1307

7 0
    Thanks for all the responses it means a lot.
    The guy has a go at me for doing hobbies more wasted money.
    Every time i talk i just get belittled by him he moans at a work colleague and says he has no hobbies then he goes at me for having hobbies.
    I have raised a grievance at work i am waiting to see what happens.
    My manager protects this guy he has pushed and shouted at our manager before as our manager never asked a fellow colleague to help with a certain task then the next time the colleague helped and he shouted at the manager for getting the colleague to help with the same task.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 By: Allen1307 Member since: Feb 17, 2018
  10. ElisaLee

11 4
    It sounds like your manager may also be feeling intimidated by this person.
    I wish you good luck in getting this matter resolved - make sure you still keep your notes and diarise things

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 By: ElisaLee Member since: Jan 31, 2018
  11. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,404 835
    I know it's not much help, but the guy clearly needs a slap. I'd suggest that's probably not a sensible route for you to take, but I'm sure he'll get it sooner or later.

You sound like a hard working employee who would be valued more elsewhere. Maybe it's time to leave the school bully behind and go find yourself a better job. You sound like you are too good to be working in your current employment.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  12. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Regular Free Member

286 55
    Might be worth adding racism into the mix as well.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  13. Allen1307

7 0
    I do not bother anyone at work that is what i do not understand why i am getting treated this way. I am polite pleasant and even brought home made cakes in for break times but the guy would still rant at me (Going red in the face) you have brought cakes i am fed up with you bringing in cakes.
    All i want to do is be polite and do my job (not get involved with all the back biting) I dare not say anything as i just get ranted at or a snide comment.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Allen1307 Member since: Feb 17, 2018
  14. Mr D

7,429 777
    I would not suggest poison in his cake but a laxative.... is not usually poison.

He's the sort of employee a business doesn't need. Get rid of him and your performance can improve, possibly lots of people can improve performance.
    Certainly sounds like work will be happier.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  15. ElisaLee

11 4
    Initially I thought that comment was a red herring in the wider context of things but looking further could it be discrimination by association?

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 By: ElisaLee Member since: Jan 31, 2018
  16. Allen1307

7 0
    Thanks I have some good news I had a job interview (retail) and i got the job they rang me back yesterday. So i will be out of there soon makes me so much happier.

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 By: Allen1307 Member since: Feb 17, 2018
  17. Mr D

7,429 777
    Well done.

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  18. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

9,228 1,874
    Don't mention where you are going to avoid him following you there and upsetting your new boss

Keep all your notes and at the first sign of any further action by him report the harassment to the police and do it every time straight away

Contact citizens advice about legal action if he continues

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  19. Allen1307

7 0
    Thanks my new job is less money but my health would be better.

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 By: Allen1307 Member since: Feb 17, 2018
  20. Mr D

7,429 777
    Can always find a way to get more money. Getting more health is much harder.

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017