Work Based Pension Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berry220

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
Durham
Hi, I am an employer with part time staff, therefore no staff have previously earned anywhere near £10k a year to meet the auto enrolment figure for a work based pension, however I can see that someone will be earning more but only due to overtime (covering holidays for others), not part of the normal working hours. So do I have to include overtime within the £10k government figure? Or does overtime fall outside of the normal rules, and can I treat that differently? It's only a small business, and there is only 1 member of staff who may earn around £10500 over the following year which includes around £800 of overtime (ie holiday cover).

Also, as I have never had anyone earn that much before, where do I start? Are pensions paid in the same way that tax & ni are paid to the government, or do I need to get a private pension company on board?

Any help would be great.

After your staging date or duties start date, staff who work irregular hours or earn flexible incomes should be enrolled the first time they earn over the automatic enrolment threshold of £192 a week or £833 per month if paid monthly.

Once staff have been enrolled, the employer must pay regular contributions into their pension scheme. If the staff member's earnings fall below £116 per week or £503 per month, the employer may stop paying contributions unless the rules of the pension scheme they have enrolled into require them to continue. You should check with the pension scheme what their rules are.

More information is available on The Pensions Regulator website. If you need assistance get in contact.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu