Wordpress updates "maintainence fee"

Discussion in 'Wordpress Support' started by Justin Smith, Mar 13, 2020.

1. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,692 9,689
    People keep telling you not to pay for the maintenance but you appear not to listen.

Updating your site is something you can do yourself in a few minutes each week.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  2. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,043 1,967

I had someone who I told that to.

Explained very clearly how he could do it.

Could guarantee I would get a phone call every month asking another very basic questions

Sometime it would be "It says click here to update - what do I do?"

These phone calls would go on and on, get longer and longer until you eventually have to say something like, it's £30 a 15 minute session for upgrading and advice - just to get rid of them

Those few minutes a week soon add up when someone else asks you to do it.

The OP need to learn how to do it himself, find someone else to do it, do a deal with person offering it, it or accept what he is quoted.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  3. Tom Volpe

Tom Volpe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 3
    I agree with comments here that this has been badly handled by the service provider - assuming you were not made aware of these costs until after you had been contracted for other services.

I also agree that you can learn to maintain your site yourself - indeed anyone can learn any skill critical to their business with enough time and effort.

Wordpress can be a very frustrating platform, it's greatest strengths are also in some ways its greatest weaknesses. Sites definitely can be broken by updates, the more plugins your site relies on the more likely this is.

Paying someone to run the updates for you (assuming they are reputable, which is critical) means sometimes you will be paying them a massive premium to click a button you could have clicked yourself. Sometimes (less often) you might be paying them sub-minimum wage to solve the problem that clicking that button caused - urgently.

I would argue that this is a bit like insurance. If it causes you zero problems if you site goes haywire - then don't bother. If you want to avoid the headache of dealing with it, pay someone to look after it for you, and let them assume the risk of it going wrong.

Either way - if you don't have a good relationship with this supplier (and I've not looked at the site but others have commented unfavourably about their work) - then you won't struggle to find someone else to do it for you.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: Tom Volpe Member since: Mar 17, 2020
  4. Alex Calinov

Alex Calinov UKBF Contributor Full Member

74 21
    Is it cheap, is it expensive? Depends. This is a very subjective question. Some might find it cheap, others might find it expensive.

I, for example, offer a maintenance package for £67 per month, which includes hosting + a monthly allowance for extra changes to the website. Is that good bad? I don't know, the price works for me, the clients are happy, etc.. I know I'm not the cheapest, but also not the most expensive one.

You have to understand that you're NOT paying for someone to click a button. Yes, it might seem that way, and in fact, that's exactly how I describe it to my own clients after I finished building a website. I show them how to update the website, and in most cases, there are no problems.

However:
    • You need to be doing consistently because updates are released for a reason. - and that's where most people fail. And that's one of the reasons they hire someone else.
    • You need to be prepared to handle a scenario where an update could go wrong. Yes, click Update, boom done. That's easy, but again, I've encountered situations where plugin/theme developers released a bogus update. So what do you do then? Do you have the knowledge of handling this situation?
    • You need to keep up with the updates to keep your website safe. WordPress it's a popular platform, but that also means it attracts a lot of attention. I've seen websites getting hacked literally overnight. In the majority of cases, the plugin developer has done released an update to fix this, but no one was there to update the website. So sometimes it's not just a case of updating once a month, or once a week. You just have to do it as soon as something is released.
    • And you need you to have a backup system in place if everything above fails, or human error, you might delete something by mistake. Backups can fail as well, so it's always good, to backup your website in 2 different places. That's what I do.
    The thing is, you are paying for that peace of mind that someone is there, not just to do the clicking, but is qualified and capable of maintaining your website, any situation.

As someone else mentioned, this is similar to an insurance policy. If everything is well, then happy days. You think you might not need it. But if something goes wrong, you wish you had it.

You have to do your own due diligence.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2020
    Posted: Apr 14, 2020 By: Alex Calinov Member since: Jan 19, 2017