WordPress FAQ

Discussion in 'Wordpress Support' started by Henry Osadzinski, May 10, 2013.

1. Henry Osadzinski

Henry Osadzinski UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,459 1,135
    Welcome to the Wordpress Support forum. This is an area for members to ask questions, share advice and show off their favourite tricks and projects relating to Wordpress.

Feel free to post your ideas and questions here. To get things started, we've also created this sticky thread where members can post frequently asked questions. We'll be coming back to curate and organise replies (with credit to all authors :)) to help put together a lasting, evolving guide for both new and experienced WP users.

Posted: May 10, 2013 By: Henry Osadzinski Member since: Aug 30, 2011
  2. Faevilangel

Faevilangel Website Critic Full Member

7,564 2,405
    Q: I have forgotten my WordPress Admin password, how do I get it back?

To recover your WP password, you have a few steps:

1: If you still have access to the email account you registered with, then use the password reminder which is available in the login screen for your site.

2: If you cannot access your email account, then you will need to change the password via an alternative method. You will need to have access to either FTP or your hosting control panel.

You can view methods to recover the password on the WordPress Codex

Posted: May 10, 2013 By: Faevilangel Member since: Jun 29, 2009
  3. Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd

Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Quest - Enabling Businesses Through Creative IT Full Member - Verified Business

254 47
    I use the Yoast SEO WordPress plugin for new blog posts... it's pretty awesome and gives you a scale of how well SEO'd your posts are. Check it out here http://yoast.com/wordpress/

Posted: May 13, 2013 By: Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Member since: Mar 30, 2012
  4. maxine

maxine UKBF Legend Full Member

6,571 2,023
    Question...

Can I do a "find and replace" when editing a theme?

Posted: May 14, 2013 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  5. PDC

PDC UKBF Regular Free Member

169 23
    I would guess it depends on what you are trying to find/replace.

If you've created a menu in the theme outside of wordpress or some footer text for instance I then yes, however if you are talking about content you have added into the site via the Wordpress admin area then no. I would guess that should be possible with access to the sites database.

Worth mentiong the help boards at Wordpress.org which were of great help when we tried a wordpress site: http://wordpress.org/support/

Posted: May 14, 2013 By: PDC Member since: Aug 11, 2008
  6. Faevilangel

Faevilangel Website Critic Full Member

7,564 2,405
    As above, depends on what you want to find / replace but I would install this plugin which adds additional functionality to the theme editor, which includes a find / replace function

Posted: May 14, 2013 By: Faevilangel Member since: Jun 29, 2009
  7. Nuno

Nuno UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,780 1,607
    Dave at InterconnectIT, (who used to be here), has written this plugin. It does a search and replace on the Db.
    It is excellent and as far as I know the best available, but you have to remove it after use as it can leave an access vulnerability.

Posted: May 14, 2013 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  8. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,495 1,786
    It is very easy if you are editing in linux on your server see
    http://badlywired.com/technical-stuff/2012/03/29/replacing-all-occurrences-of-a-string-in-linux/

Thats all you need. Of course if you use windows to do editing then you'll need another tool like windows grep http://www.wingrep.com/index.htm to do find / replace across multiple files / subdirectories

There probably other tools, but if you are doing serious file manipulation, Windows isn't anywhere near as easy to do that as in linux.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
    Posted: May 14, 2013 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  9. maxine

maxine UKBF Legend Full Member

6,571 2,023
    Only colours ... simple swap of one colour with another consistently through the whole theme.

Looks good :) Thanks

I'll have a look at that too thanks :)

I'm on a mac so not windows :) I should have said, sorry

Posted: May 15, 2013 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  10. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,495 1,786
    On a Mac you can open multiple files in 'Text Wrangler' and search replace across then all. But as a MAc is in effecta linux box, you probably would be able to use at least one of teh linux replace techniques.

That said, if you are simply changing colours, they should all be in one file, style.css

If you are goind to start editing your theme style sheet, you shoudl really set up a child theme, it is simple enough http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

What this does is protect you from your changes being iverwritten when new releases of themes are made.

Posted: May 15, 2013 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011