Won bid and job given to non-bidders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope someone can help.

I bid for a training contract through a university. Won the contract but months down the line was called by a team member to say they've given the workshops to someone they know. He asked me to lie to say I was busy and couldn't attend- should someone from his team ask. I also felt slightly threatened as he told me, he will be planning future workshops and will give them to whoever he wants.

What should I do? They are funded by the EU funds.

paulears

Free Member
Jan 7, 2015
Suffolk - UK
You can drop him in it and get him into trouble or you let him get away with it. It’s possible this wasn’t an official tender which always had strict rules but an opportunity to give them a price and unofficially told you you were the cheapest but the management went with somebody else. Tenders are formal but give us a quote is not a tender.

Upvote 0

ImranR

Free Member
Nov 8, 2018
Re reading the OPs post, sounds like the University are already investigating and the individual is trying to cover his tracks.

I would send a polite email to someone senior and explain what's happened. That way you can build a rapport with them for future business by making their investigations easier.

Upvote 0

James Akcela

Free Member
Nov 30, 2019
Was this an official EU tender if paid with EU monies? If so, there is a process to go through on that level outside of the University.

If it were me, and I had been awarded the contract, I would be getting at least my cancellation fee. Going through the seniority ranks to expose the issue.

This isn't acceptable.

Reactions: gpietersz
Upvote 0
You can drop him in it and get him into trouble or you let him get away with it. It’s possible this wasn’t an official tender which always had strict rules but an opportunity to give them a price and unofficially told you you were the cheapest but the management went with somebody else. Tenders are formal but give us a quote is not a tender.
Thank you. I have the official letter of award.

Upvote 0
Was this an official EU tender if paid with EU monies? If so, there is a process to go through on that level outside of the University.

If it were me, and I had been awarded the contract, I would be getting at least my cancellation fee. Going through the seniority ranks to expose the issue.

This isn't acceptable.

Yes- Its paid for by EU monies. Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0

RobinBHM

Free Member
Apr 14, 2012
Id be very tempted to ring the team member back and start by asking him if there is a chance you might be considered for future contracts.....then 'in passing' see if you can subtly get him to admit the contract you had won was given to a 'friend'.........just make sure you record the phone call :)

on a serious note: send an invoice with the cancellation fee

Also what is to stop you sending them an invoice for the training contract, deposit or whatever your terms are and tell them when the training will commence, just act as though its going ahead.
You have the official letter of award; if they want to cancel, you need to get it in writing.....they wont like that!

what you can do does depend on the contract you have -I wouldve thought cancellation would require written confirmation and fee. After all what would you have had to done if you had needed to cancel.

Reactions: gpietersz
Upvote 0
If you have the official letter of award I would pursue it. The university probably don't realise what is going on and I'd imagine they'd treat such behaviour very seriously. You won the contract. They either need to formally cancel that award of contract or contract you to do the work, and not use from back-handed tactics to stop you from doing the work.

Upvote 0
This one might be worth pushing at a little. You aren't going to get the work back, but you might get a little payment out of it, especially if the tender was under the EJ rules.

However, this is fairly typical of how the public sector works! One of the local universities is well known for going out to tender and then giving jobs to the personal friends of the staff.

Upvote 0

gpietersz

Legacy Full Member
  • Sep 10, 2019
    Leamington Spa
    pietersz.net
    He asked me to lie to say I was busy and couldn't attend- should someone from his team ask.

Obviously something dodgy going on.

Also what is to stop you sending them an invoice for the training contract, deposit or whatever your terms are and tell them when the training will commence, just act as though its going ahead.
    You have the official letter of award; if they want to cancel, you need to get it in writing.....they wont like that!

Love that idea. Is there anything to stop you doing that?

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
    ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu