Without a dedicated IT department, which department should manage it?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Coralie, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Coralie

Coralie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for some opinions from small business owners on this subject please. Among my many roles, I'm the Head of Marketing for a small business. Part of what our department does is management of websites and apps. This includes the design and content of course, but we're in internal debate about whether hosting management, SSL certification renewals, DNS and domain name purchasing/management etc (basically all the back-end stuff) should sit within marketing OR within operations.

It's my view that this is IT support which traditionally sits under the operations umbrella, however our head of ops feels that marketing should look after all aspects of the site.

Would appreciate your thoughts!

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: Coralie Member since: Jul 11, 2019
  2. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 14
    As a small business owner, I would locate these tasks - DNS/domain name purchasing & management, SSL certification renewals - and all other 'back-end' stuff in a dedicated IT/Operations Department.

As a professional Marketer, sure you should be kept in the loop about developments, especially if they will have a knock-on effect on your work, but your focus should be squarely on marketing activities and not worrying about HTML code errors, back-end frameworks and other exciting technical issues that you may not be qualified to deal with.

I hope this helps.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
  3. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

568 92
    Separate them completely into 2 different departments.

One department req. professional trained people, the other one is run by witchcraft and hopes. You do not want to mix IT degrees with CIM.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  4. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

564 100
    When you have IT issues now, servers down, equipment failures, software issues, online security etc etc who do you turn too now surely not the marketing department?

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  5. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,638 3,288
    I run a small business. I do it myself.

Surely it should be done ny whoever can do it. If no-one can do it you need to recruit someone. the department is a complete irrelevance.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  6. Coralie

5 0
    That's all managed by operations, using third party suppliers.

It's just the stuff relating specifically to the apps/website maintenance - hosting, SSL, domains, DNS, integrations between website and database that is the grey area

7. Coralie

5 0
    Thank you, that's very helpful.

8. WaveJumper

564 100
    I think then this needs to be done by the person with suitable IT knowledge and training, depending on the size of the company whether they currently 'sit' in the marketing department or ops department does it really matter until of course funds allow for a 'proper IT dept'

9. Coralie

5 0
    Thank you - that makes sense. I think the issue is that neither really does - which is fine because - as a small business - we just figure things out and rely on the third parties. We do need an IT department soon but until then, it's just about knowing under which umbrella they should sit.

10. WaveJumper

564 100
    Just one last thought and I am sure you have this all covered, I would hate too see everyone running around pointing the figure at everyone else if things go horrible wrong on the data protection front.
    Just make sure you know who is actually responsible for keeping all that data safe. As I said I am sure you have.

11. Coralie

5 0
    Thank you for mentioning it - yes, that sits under ops as well :)

12. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,514 1,051
    Outsource it

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  13. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,962 9,079
    Give all this to a third party supplier as well.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,058 1,099
    It's not a marketing function. Marketing should have more important things to do than mess about with tech. You can employ someone for peanuts to do what you need to do, or outsource it for not very much money. If your marketing staff are any good, don't waste their time with basic tech and admin.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  15. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,520 770
    Neither marketing, nor operations, people will necessarily have the skills to do IT. Further, for both of them, it is a distraction.

Outsource it.

Unless the business is very small and you have someone keen to take it on.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010