Windows Help, delay a shutdown?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Alan, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,383 1,761
    Those that know me know I'm not a fan of Windows, but I have a situation where at a voluntary club they have a PC and the software is Windows only, when they finish with updates they save it and the saved file syncs to drop box. But being volunteers they often shutdown and go home before ensuring the dropbox has synced.

Is there any solution that you can think of that isn't difficult from the user perspective. I could for instance run a timed shutdown via script / command line but that would be no good, as they would just reach for the standard shut down button and ignore the script... Is there a way of attaching a delay process to the standard shutdown command / button?

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  2. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

681 123
    just remove the shut down option via registry edit and create a scrip or schedule to go to sleep or hibernating at a certain time.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  3. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,272 224
    Posted: Jan 9, 2020 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  4. Wayne Smyth

Wayne Smyth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    Assuming it's windows 10, just type 'edit group policy' into the search box on the taskbar; this should open the Local Group Policy Editor.

There is a section under 'Computer Configuration\Windows Settings' where you can set scripts that run on startup or shutdown.

I've not used this before, but on the face of it, it appears to allow you to do what you're after.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 By: Wayne Smyth Member since: Nov 11, 2019
  5. Craig Bird

Craig Bird UKBF Contributor Full Member

58 3
    Sleep schedule in Local policy - unless it supported vPro and there are other devices in the network (that can send the magic packet) as then there are sleep and wake features that can be controled using the Intel Power Management suite.

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 By: Craig Bird Member since: Feb 24, 2017