Winding up a Company with only HMRC debt

Discussion in 'Legal' started by MrDLee, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDLee

MrDLee UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 0
    I am trying to wind up a company that owes money to HMRC. The debt goes back over 3 years and has had increasing penalties added to it.

The company has no debts, about £200 in a Barclays Business account and about £1800 owed to Barclays on a credit card.

The company now owes HMRC over £14,000.
    The company has not traded for 3 years.

Corp Tax has been estimated by HMRC, penalties added and interest earned. Similar story with VAT. (We had tried to get VAT sorted but were unable to get access online due to dates not matching registration). It seems in March of this year the VAT owed to HMRC has been bundled in with the Corp Tax balance as the Ct balance has jumped up and there's no mentioned of VAT anymore.

No accounts had been filed and in Feb 2016 companies house started the statutory winding up, this was ceased by HMRC. We waited hoping a 2nd statutory winding up petition would go through because HMRC had still received nothing and may have given up, but again HMRC put an end to this.

In reality during this time no VAT or CT should be due, (or at least very little) but a balance has appeared due to the late or missed accounts (I know..... the reasoning was they were not filed in order that statutory winding up would begin not ever being in a position to appoint an IP).

So the end result is HMRC now have a big bill to chase. The company is not trading, has no assets, can not appoint an IP, or even pay accountant to prepare and file the missing accounts, so I have no idea what to do next.

I have not spoken or written to HMRC direct for fear of putting my foot in it and making the situation worse, so in fairness they are probably unaware there are 0 assets - but they are chasing me as director now demanding payment or action in courts.

I have seen a Spongebob plan - should I simply write to HMRC advise them there are no assets to pay for an IP, or to cover debts and file a DS01 striking off form?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Posted: Apr 18, 2017 By: MrDLee Member since: Apr 18, 2017
  2. MrDLee

MrDLee UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 0
    Just noticed there is a Insolvency forum which I have posted this too instead Being a newbie I can't figure out how to move or delete this post! - Sorry!

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 By: MrDLee Member since: Apr 18, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.