Will you hire an apprentice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katjarina Matavilava

Free Member
Sep 5, 2013
There is a discussion about whether it is beneficial for business to hire an apprentice or not.

What do you think?
Will you hire an apprentice (it usually takes 12 to 18 months, apprentice will be required to attend some off-the-job training, wage of £2.65 per hour)?
What are your reasons?

Apprentices are incredibly beneficial for business, we literally wouldn't exist as a business if it wasn't for the apprenticeship scheme.

Our first ever hire for the software company behind staff squared was an apprentice and when he first joined the deal was that he'd answer the phone and make the tea, and in return we'd teach him how to write html and code. Suffice to say he doesn't make the tea anymore (much to my disappointment!) and he's a lead dev on a number of our projects.

I also met my co-founder through the apprenticeship scheme.

The only thing you need to be careful of is not using the apprenticeship scheme as a way of finding temporary cheap labour. The scheme only adds value to you if you're prepared to upskill the apprentice over a period of time.

If you have any other specific questions about the scheme let me know.

Upvote 0

Katjarina Matavilava

Free Member
Sep 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your answer. It's great that you had such a good experience!
I currently gather information to prepare a presentation on strategies for employer involvement in apprenticeship scheme. And I really like you point that to hire an apprentice as a temporary cheap employee will probably not work.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu